Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Can humanity afford a real life Star Trek ?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,236 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

The starships of the Star Trek universe seem a long way off both technologically and financially.

Yahoo! News said:

The public has no shortage of enthusiasm for fictional spacefarers, as this weekend's box-office win by the newest "Star Trek" film proves. Yet the real-life U. S. space agency finds itself strapped for cash these days. With federal budgets tightening and NASA feeling the pinch, some space advocates are asking, "Can humans afford to reach the stars?"

Posted Image Read more...

#2    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 5,411 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Oh I hope so!

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#3    Rolci

Rolci

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

a long way off compared to what? The gizmos they are reverse-engineering in area 51? I must agree, the star trek starships probably are a long way off. in the backward direction. As Lockheed Skunk Works director Ben Rich, father of the stealth fighter-bomber, used to say: "We now have the technology to take ET home." Search Ben Rich Lockheed on youtube or wherever you like.

Edited by Rolci, 23 May 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#4    highdesert50

highdesert50

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

I might hypothesize that there is a small window of time in a civilization's growth that such an "enterprise" is possible. The window is, in part, defined by funds and population growth. As the population increases, more and more funding goes to sustaining it and dealing with the consequences of uncontrolled growth e.g. global warming, diminishing resources, wars. Human procreation as is our explorative nature are not rational acts, but biological imperatives. Recognizing that we humans are becoming the virulent cancer of this planet necessitates that we move on and do so as quickly as possible in order for civilization and its underpinnings to survive. The window is closing.

#5    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

Its never going to happen as long as we keep insisting on spending money on nations that hate us, research grants to schools for studies that are a complete and utter waste of money and on thwarting Darwinism by paying people to not work and stay home and be lazy and continue to pop out more kids into poverty.
If and when we finally make people responsible for their own lives then and ONLY then might we have the funding to pursue the dream of space exploration and the preservation of our species.
Until then we are doomed to live here until we are wiped out and extinct.
My money is on extinction.

#6    paperdyer

paperdyer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

Just remember, the Star Trek Universe didn't happen until after WWIII.  Then the Vulcans came, money was no longer used, so cost was a non-factor.  You just did it.  Everyone had everything they wanted. So unless human nature changes, it's never going to happen.

#7    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

That's just it. We as a race(human) will destroy ourselves long before this wonderful idea ever comes to fruition. And as far as the notion of not needing any money for anything, tell that to the corporate machine and gauge their reaction(I'm guessing laughter).

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#8    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

I LOVE the idea of a "Star Trek" future - humanity coming togather to concentrate on one core goal. For the sake of curiosity, we looked up the total cost of WWII and adjusted to inflation. $26 trillion spent worldwide. Imagine how much closer we'd be if we had funnelled all that coin into an Enterprise...

#9    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,486 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

paperdyer, on 23 May 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

Just remember, the Star Trek Universe didn't happen until after WWIII.  Then the Vulcans came, money was no longer used, so cost was a non-factor.  You just did it.  Everyone had everything they wanted. So unless human nature changes, it's never going to happen.

The First Contact took place on the evening of April 5, 2063, when a Vulcan survey ship, the T'Plana-Hath, having detected the warp signature of the Phoenix, touched down in Bozeman, central Montana, where they met with the Phoenix's designer and pilot, Zefram Cochrane.

http://en.memory-alp...i/First_contact

Edited by DBunker, 23 May 2013 - 03:25 PM.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#10    marcos anthony toledo

marcos anthony toledo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

That's the problem the quick buck artist that run this world make more money out of war and drug profiteering. And they don't what their slaves the rest of us escaping from them. As Dark_Grey pointed out if we hadn't wasted all that money on all the stupid wars since 1914 we could have afforded to explore the galaxy. The greed heads don't care so long as they have money to burn.

#11    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,585 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

Too bad that when science and technology is just pure science and technology, little funding is available.

But when a profit potential is clearly seen or reasonably envisioned, money all of a sudden magically appears.

#12    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

I think the real question is,  can we afford not to.

The enterprise is a good warship and research vessal.

But, we don't need a good warship.  We need a modular ship.  That way the price of the core ship drops sinceit can be mass produced.  The modular sections would be cheaper since they wouldn't need engines.

Edited by danielost, 23 May 2013 - 04:23 PM.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#13    shrooma

shrooma

Doesn't own a beard.

• 3,949 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

with the advent of transporters, money would become obsolete. after all, where could you safely keep it? and when replicators come along, you can just whip up as much cash as you need!
vivé la trek!

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#14    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,585 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

shrooma, on 23 May 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

with the advent of transporters, money would become obsolete. after all, where could you safely keep it? and when replicators come along, you can just whip up as much cash as you need!
vivé la trek!

My Ultra-XYZ prints money just fine.

Oooppsss...... (Just kidding, Mr. Secret Service)

#15    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

There's always the possibility that some new invention of an as yet unknown technology could make it affordable. But the world is sadly lacking in Teslas and Einsteins and instead has too many lunatics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users