Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Can humanity afford a real life Star Trek ?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#46    mfluder

mfluder

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:33 AM

I didn't read the entire article, so forgive me if this was covered, but in Gene Roddenberry's universe, humankind evolved past the need for material posessions, and money became a thing of the past.  As long as we continue to wring every penny of profit out of every possible source, and put low priority on empirical pursuits like exploring space, we'll stay firmly planted on this rock we call Earth.  Hopefully more enlightened countries in a more enlightened future will realize space exploration is vital to our survival as a species, and invent the real world Enterprise.  Warp speed ahead, and be wary of the Borg!

#47    Lex540

Lex540

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

• I am unique and distinct

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

not gonnas happen forget about it

#48    EinSofEngineer

EinSofEngineer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

Because our money matters in the intergalactic stage... Oh no, lets focus on other things, such as give those billions of dollars to charities which barely distribute them.

#49    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,972 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

You have to look at charities, most of them, provide jobs for people who have families.  But, your correct the good charites only get up to 20% to where it is supposed to go.  The national companies are the worse ones, except for the rip offs.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#50    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,842 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:46 AM

The question should be Can Mankind Not afford it ?

This is a Work in Progress!

#51    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,803 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

Sure. We can afford not to move  up into space... We'll just eventually face extinction.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#52    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,803 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

View Postdanielost, on 26 May 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

You have to look at charities, most of them, provide jobs for people who have families.  But, your correct the good charites only get up to 20% to where it is supposed to go.  The national companies are the worse ones, except for the rip offs.

It is a myth that Charities are money sink holes.

The Better Business Bureau tracks most charities and many of the better ones like Children International, have an almost 80% rate of money going into programs, with 20% for Administrative and Fund Raising activities. Everyone should research a charity before giving them any money.

Edited by DieChecker, 27 May 2013 - 09:29 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#53    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,972 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

As long as mankind is stuck on one planet, mankind is mortal.  A single event can kill us,

There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#54    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,842 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:00 AM

HEre ! HERE ! I agree danielost ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#55    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

• We are much more than we seem to be. :)

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:02 AM

We need to keep doing the scientific research.

In the distant future they might find a way to use the whole solar system as a combined spaceship.

We re already flying around the galaxy together with our sun on our spaceship Earth, we just need to find a way to move everything together much faster as a complete system.

Some kind of controllable huge warp bubble around the sun, using its enormous energy to propel it, and the Earth, in its own warp bubble along with it.

Bring along Mars, and Venus, after moving their orbits into the Goldilocks zone and creating proper atmospheres around them, and use them as spaceships too.

Add in other planetary spaceships we find and create/modify along the way.

Exchange the sun for a new star when we use up the current one.

Create more complete solar system starships and go forth and multiply.

With there being billions and billions of galaxies in the universe, each containing billions and billions of stars, I have little doubt that this is already happening all over the place out there. :)

#56    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,972 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:28 AM

View PostHugh, on 28 May 2013 - 05:02 AM, said:

We need to keep doing the scientific research.

In the distant future they might find a way to use the whole solar system as a combined spaceship.

We re already flying around the galaxy together with our sun on our spaceship Earth, we just need to find a way to move everything together much faster as a complete system.

Some kind of controllable huge warp bubble around the sun, using its enormous energy to propel it, and the Earth, in its own warp bubble along with it.

Bring along Mars, and Venus, after moving their orbits into the Goldilocks zone and creating proper atmospheres around them, and use them as spaceships too.

Add in other planetary spaceships we find and create/modify along the way.

Exchange the sun for a new star when we use up the current one.

Create more complete solar system starships and go forth and multiply.

With there being billions and billions of galaxies in the universe, each containing billions and billions of stars, I have little doubt that this is already happening all over the place out there. :)

I point out that mars spends time in the goldielock zone.  It is it,s thin atmosphere that is the problem.

#57    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

• We are much more than we seem to be. :)

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:09 AM

View Postdanielost, on 28 May 2013 - 05:28 AM, said:

I point out that mars spends time in the goldielock zone.  It is it,s thin atmosphere that is the problem.

Just needs more gravity and to get that we can just add more mass, plenty of that in the asteroid belt.

#58    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,972 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

First we have to get past the liberals.  Who think anything not going to "help" someone is a wast of money.  Even if they have to force people on to the help roles.

#59    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,803 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

View PostHugh, on 28 May 2013 - 06:09 AM, said:

Just needs more gravity and to get that we can just add more mass, plenty of that in the asteroid belt.
We could probably do that eventually. Drop some comets and asteroids down to the surface. Sure it would tear the planet up and ruin the environement, such as it is, but within a realatively short time, we could start building parking lots. :tu:

#60    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,972 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 28 May 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

We could probably do that eventually. Drop some comets and asteroids down to the surface. Sure it would tear the planet up and ruin the environement, such as it is, but within a realatively short time, we could start building parking lots. :tu:

View PostDieChecker, on 28 May 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

Launch pads!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users