Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

HTC ONE vs Galaxy S 4

Simbi Laveau

So my contract is almost up (august) ,and I am completely enamoured with the HTC ONE. This is mostly due to the fact I watch movies and tv on my phone all the time . The front speakers would be awesome . Sound is always an issue .

Reviews I read said its the best smart phone on the market at this time.

However,I saw some vids of the Galaxy S 4 ,and I love the no touch option .

I'm always doing twelve things ,and my hands are either wet ,or covered with food or potting soil ,or I'm reading a recipe .

No hands options would be awesome too .

Does anyone have either of these phones ? What do you like,not like ?

Also ,I have always had an HTC . Never had a Samsung ,so how do they differ ?

Any input would be welcome .

Thank you

M

Well, I sell cell phones as part of my job. I had to take learning on both of these phones as well as the Z10 and the Sony ZL. Now, the HTC One is in theory a really cool phone. But, out of all the phone brands we sell, HTC is the one with the most problems and the most unhappy customers. Being that this is a higher end phone, it should be a better one, but, I put my faith more in a company that has a solid product whether it is with their low end phones or their higher end phones and so I prefer Samsung because I feel I can count on quality. Now, the ZL had some amazing features and when I upgrade, I am very tempted to give it a try. The one thing I recommend to my customers is to read up on the phone(s) in question and to read real people's opinions at the rnd of the reviews.

Edited by glorybebe
  • Like 1

From working in telco for 2 years, have been still dealing with electronics and solving mobile issues in the last year, typically both are near equally good it really differs in the interface when choosing in latest android has been like that for years. I personally have gone from a Nokia E52 > Motorola Defy > Samsung S2 > S3 > S4, stopped modding phones after I got the S3 because it had all the customised options I wanted and the lag issue was gone since quad core. But all in all feature wise you could do it like this; Do you like yours Music and Sound Abilities (HTC One) vs Do you like concept features, interface and life intergration (S4). Personally I've had my S4 for a short time so I am not exactly using SHealth and whatnot but glanced at it, it looks interesting if your into that kinda thing.

Anything bar iPhone and you'll be somewhat in a decent direction depending how cheap you are lol.

Best of luck in your choices.

Edited by chopmo
  • Like 1

gsmarena.com - that is the bible for mobile phones.

• Like 2

Asked my 17yr son who has a htc1, he said definitely the samsang as a friend has the s4 and he said it makes his htc1 look like a piece of prehistoric ****.

• Like 1

Well, I sell cell phones as part of my job. I had to take learning on both of these phones as well as the Z10 and the Sony ZL. Now, the HTC One is in theory a really cool phone. But, out of all the phone brands we sell, HTC is the one with the most problems and the most unhappy customers. Being that this is a higher end phone, it should be a better one, but, I put my faith more in a company that has a solid product whether it is with their low end phones or their higher end phones and so I prefer Samsung because I feel I can count on quality. Now, the ZL had some amazing features and when I upgrade, I am very tempted to give it a try. The one thing I recommend to my customers is to read up on the phone(s) in question and to read real people's opinions at the rnd of the reviews.

Thank you glorybebe ! I am not even aware of the ZL . Does the Samsung also support the android market ? As I have a bunch of apps I have paid for over the years . It's one of the reasons i stay with HTC.

From working in telco for 2 years, have been still dealing with electronics and solving mobile issues in the last year, typically both are near equally good it really differs in the interface when choosing in latest android has been like that for years. I personally have gone from a Nokia E52 > Motorola Defy > Samsung S2 > S3 > S4, stopped modding phones after I got the S3 because it had all the customised options I wanted and the lag issue was gone since quad core. But all in all feature wise you could do it like this; Do you like yours Music and Sound Abilities (HTC One) vs Do you like concept features, interface and life intergration (S4). Personally I've had my S4 for a short time so I am not exactly using SHealth and whatnot but glanced at it, it looks interesting if your into that kinda thing.

Anything bar iPhone and you'll be somewhat in a decent direction depending how cheap you are lol.

Best of luck in your choices.

Well I have no computer right now ,so I do everything on my cell ,including watching stuff like HBOGO ,movies etc.

This is what I do to mellow out ,so watching my stuff,even if its on the phone ,is a must for me. The biggest problem was the sound coming out the back ,and having issues with sound. I don't listen to music on the phone at all .

I do cook a lot,and look at recipes while cooking ,so my hands will have batter or something on them,so hands free is cool too.

I'm quite torn .

I'm worried about moving all my apps over too.

I have an EVO 3D right now,and I did love it ,but its on its last legs . I would get another one,but to switch everything over now,when I will upgrade in august ,seems redundant

So my contract is almost up (august) ,and I am completely enamoured with the HTC ONE. This is mostly due to the fact I watch movies and tv on my phone all the time . The front speakers would be awesome . Sound is always an issue .

Reviews I read said its the best smart phone on the market at this time.

However,I saw some vids of the Galaxy S 4 ,and I love the no touch option .

I'm always doing twelve things ,and my hands are either wet ,or covered with food or potting soil ,or I'm reading a recipe .

No hands options would be awesome too .

Does anyone have either of these phones ? What do you like,not like ?

Also ,I have always had an HTC . Never had a Samsung ,so how do they differ ?

Any input would be welcome .

Thank you

M

My wife has that "No touch" option.. actually it's not an option, its no touch.

• Like 2

Thank you glorybebe ! I am not even aware of the ZL . Does the Samsung also support the android market ? As I have a bunch of apps I have paid for over the years . It's one of the reasons i stay with HTC.

It is an Android and supports Jellly Bean. I had one woman change from her LG back to her Samsung S2 because she preferred Samsung and she was able to have all the same apps on her S2 without paying, but that was because she had the Playstore on Bell. It depends usually on your provider and what application 'store' they offer, at least in Canada.

gsmarena.com - that is the bible for mobile phones.

Got it bookmarked, thanx!!!

• Like 1

Well,I will go to the store and play with both ,and see what moves me .Thanks guys ! I appreciate all the input. I am technologically inept for sure

I'm due for an upgrade next month. I am definitely going with the S4 from what I've been hearing about it.

But of course anything will be better than what I'm currently using. I've managed to keep my Motorola Droid 1 working for the past 4 years. It's been a great phone but the buttons are wearing out on it now.

• Like 1

I'm due for an upgrade next month. I am definitely going with the S4 from what I've been hearing about it.

But of course anything will be better than what I'm currently using. I've managed to keep my Motorola Droid 1 working for the past 4 years. It's been a great phone but the buttons are wearing out on it now.

Four years ?! Wow. When I made more money,I changed all the time. The fact I've kept one phone for the full two years is amazing .

Four years ?! Wow. When I made more money,I changed all the time. The fact I've kept one phone for the full two years is amazing .

I really didn't have much choice. My stepdaughter kept breaking her phones and I had to constantly use my wife's and my upgrades to get her new phones once the phone insurance wouldn't give us anymore. I swear that kid has gone through at least 7 phones to my 1.

She's on her 3rd iPhone 4s and now that she will be 18 this year, I let her know that will be her very last phone on my plan. Once that phone breaks she will have to go out and get her own plan. :devil: (knowing my luck she will make that phone last forever now though)

I had a motorola Razr flip phone before my Droid. That darn thing also lasted forever, in fact I still have in a drawer and it still looks and works like new if I were to charge it. I always like to keep a few spares around in case one of our phones do break and we need a temp. one.

• Like 2

I really didn't have much choice. My stepdaughter kept breaking her phones and I had to constantly use my wife's and my upgrades to get her new phones once the phone insurance wouldn't give us anymore. I swear that kid has gone through at least 7 phones to my 1.

She's on her 3rd iPhone 4s and now that she will be 18 this year, I let her know that will be her very last phone on my plan. Once that phone breaks she will have to go out and get her own plan. :devil: (knowing my luck she will make that phone last forever now though)

I had a motorola Razr flip phone before my Droid. That darn thing also lasted forever, in fact I still have in a drawer and it still looks and works like new if I were to charge it. I always like to keep a few spares around in case one of our phones do break and we need a temp. one.

You are an awesome parent. My daughter would be getting a cheapy little flippy phone if she broke one $700 phone never mind three. She did actually fry her Samsung Gio by giving it a bath in her water glass beside her bed....I got the new phone, she got the old one. I also warned her if she kills that one she better get a job to pay for a new one.

• Like 3

She did actually fry her Samsung Gio by giving it a bath in her water glass beside her bed....

LOL that's one I haven't experienced yet. My stepdaughter dropped one of her iPhones in the toilet once. Instead of getting it out right away (because that would be too gross) she waited for her friend to come over and get it out for her.

It probably would have been fine if she had gotten it right out and set it aside to dry out before trying to turn it on again (which was the very first thing she did once she did get the phone out of the toilet).

LOL that's one I haven't experienced yet. My stepdaughter dropped one of her iPhones in the toilet once. Instead of getting it out right away (because that would be too gross) she waited for her friend to come over and get it out for her.

It probably would have been fine if she had gotten it right out and set it aside to dry out before trying to turn it on again (which was the very first thing she did once she did get the phone out of the toilet).

That's why hers got fried....couldn't wait for it to dry out, had to see who texted her right away. Silly kids.

Oh my god. I don't think kids should have phones until they're at least 15 . My friends daughter is 3,and I get calls at all you're,because she finds the phone ,and hits the speed dial . Then you hear her giggling and gurgling at the other end .My friend has no idea its going on

• Like 2

Hi Simbi, I've been looking at the same 2 phones

Both phones are top of the line android phones and you will be happy with either, and any apps you've purchased on your old HTC android you can download to whichever phone you choose. Google Play Store (Android Market) purchases are by Google id not by device. That means with any android device you sign into using your Google you can download your apps (so long as they are supported by the device of course)

All my smartphones have been in the Samsung Galaxy S series and I've always been happy with them and I like the GS4. I am however also very impressed with the HTC One. Best bet go to a store that has a 'live' version of both phones and play with them. See which phone feels more comfortable

• Like 2

Both phones are top of the line android phones and you will be happy with either, and any apps you've purchased on your old HTC android you can download to whichever phone you choose. Google Play Store (Android Market) purchases are by Google id not by device. That means with any android device you sign into using your Google you can download your apps (so long as they are supported by the device of course)

All my smartphones have been in the Samsung Galaxy S series and I've always been happy with them and I like the GS4. I am however also very impressed with the HTC One. Best bet go to a store that has a 'live' version of both phones and play with them. See which phone feels more comfortable

To just hold them, the HTC One is heavier. I had one guy pick it up and say that he could 'feel' the quality. The S4 is lighter, which other people like. There are so many things to consider when buying a phone. I am lucky that I get to play with all the new phones when they come out.

• Like 1

I wasn't sure about the Galaxy being android market compatible .

I had the original Windows phone ,and it wasn't . Totally different market . I liked the phone ,but that was a bummer for me .

I like the HTC ONE because of the speakers . I watch so much stuff on my phone ,and sound coming from the back can be so annoying when its so low I can barely hear it .

That may be a selling point for me .

We shall see.

To just hold them, the HTC One is heavier. I had one guy pick it up and say that he could 'feel' the quality. The S4 is lighter, which other people like. There are so many things to consider when buying a phone. I am lucky that I get to play with all the new phones when they come out.

I've considered getting a job with sprint,for just this reason ..heh

Oh my god. I don't think kids should have phones until they're at least 15 .

I agree 100% in retrospect.

• Like 2

heheheeh .. and here I am still chugging away with my nokia 6120c

:rofl:

• Like 1