Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

HTC ONE vs Galaxy S 4

smart phones

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#61    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 9,128 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"
    God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 27 June 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

~snip

out next month July here in the UK.

~IMAGE SNIP

not really suitable for everyday use ... battery issues and cumbersome ... from what I hear ... maybe its a Telco issue but the internet functions are said to be laggy / slow

for a tourist or traveling gadget it makes some sense ... one item short to lug around I guess ...

haven't had a chance to get a hands on feel yet so merely based on second info :)

`

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#62    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 6,186 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 23 June 2013 - 08:49 PM, said:

I finally got my new S4... I love this thing. I may be a bit biased though considering that I upgraded from the original Motorola Droid to this. That's kinda like going from from an old 386 processor to an i7 processor. ;-)

I just upgrade to an S4 at the beginning of this month. I love it. It's faster than my laptop.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#63    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,225 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 27 June 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

not really suitable for everyday use ... battery issues and cumbersome ... from what I hear ... maybe its a Telco issue but the internet functions are said to be laggy / slow

for a tourist or traveling gadget it makes some sense ... one item short to lug around I guess ...

haven't had a chance to get a hands on feel yet so merely based on second info :)

`

thanks for the feed back. :tu:

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#64    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 9,128 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"
    God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 28 June 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

thanks for the feed back. :tu:

no worries ... :yes:

`

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#65    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,749 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 27 June 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

`
We have a Smart Camera by Samsung, but, haven't seen these phones yet.  I have been forecasting the point and shoot cameras are going to be obsolete.  The phones nowadays are able to take quality pictures and you don't need to download to a computer because your phone badically is one.  You can just send the pics to your freinds and family from it.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#66    ozman

ozman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

• dailytechfix.com is my fav tech news.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:04 AM

Trust me stay clear of HTC, they don't have as good quality control in their factories as Samsung or Apple.  Even rooting and modding them is a headache, I rooted my galaxy s3 and put a custom android 4.2.2 os on there from the XDA forums and it was very easy to do compared to the HTC.  When I bought the galaxy s4, it was even easier to root and install a custom android OS.  The only thing you gotta worry about on the Samsung Galaxy s4 is all of the bloat software that comes with it, that's why I installed the Slim Roms custom os based on Cyanogenmod.  I just do not like Samsungs touchwiz interface.   The slim rom will actually make your phone look bigger than other Galaxy s4 phones, everyone i show it to thinks it's bigger than other Galaxy s4's and I even lie and say (It's the special edition) the reason it looks much bigger than other S4's is due to Slim Rom's custom pixel density setting, it's pixel density is lowered by default to provide a sharp crisp and high quality experience.  With a lowered pixel density on an already 1080p screen will give you a super high definition experience.  The Galaxy s4 also has a bigger screen the the HTC One.  

Here take a look at my screenshot and decide for yourself.  

https://lh3.googleus...3-no/2013-06-29

With the custom android OS, battery life is super long like 2 days with average use compared to 1 day on stock system with bloat crap running in background.

Edited by ozman, 30 June 2013 - 02:08 AM.

Posted Image

#67    ozman

ozman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:27 AM

Simbi here is a good review of the 2 phones without the default interface software, both of these are the Google Editions.  So if u got these editions there would be no need to put custom original aosp roms on these.  

http://www.ubergizmo...google-edition/

Posted Image

#68    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,749 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:35 AM

View Postozman, on 30 June 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

Trust me stay clear of HTC, they don't have as good quality control in their factories as Samsung or Apple.  Even rooting and modding them is a headache, I rooted my galaxy s3 and put a custom android 4.2.2 os on there from the XDA forums and it was very easy to do compared to the HTC.  When I bought the galaxy s4, it was even easier to root and install a custom android OS.  The only thing you gotta worry about on the Samsung Galaxy s4 is all of the bloat software that comes with it, that's why I installed the Slim Roms custom os based on Cyanogenmod.  I just do not like Samsungs touchwiz interface.   The slim rom will actually make your phone look bigger than other Galaxy s4 phones, everyone i show it to thinks it's bigger than other Galaxy s4's and I even lie and say (It's the special edition) the reason it looks much bigger than other S4's is due to Slim Rom's custom pixel density setting, it's pixel density is lowered by default to provide a sharp crisp and high quality experience.  With a lowered pixel density on an already 1080p screen will give you a super high definition experience.  The Galaxy s4 also has a bigger screen the the HTC One.  

Here take a look at my screenshot and decide for yourself.  

https://lh3.googleus...3-no/2013-06-29

With the custom android OS, battery life is super long like 2 days with average use compared to 1 day on stock system with bloat crap running in background.
Be careful with changing ROMs, it voids the warranty.  I have talkef to people who will still change them, but have seen a warranty voided  eventhough it had nothing to do with the physical damage that should have been covered by the extended coverage.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#69    ozman

ozman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 30 June 2013 - 04:35 AM, said:

Be careful with changing ROMs, it voids the warranty.  I have talkef to people who will still change them, but have seen a warranty voided  eventhough it had nothing to do with the physical damage that should have been covered by the extended coverage.

Actually there is a way to flash without resetting flash counters, some custom roms have this capability but Simbi won't need a custom rom because both of these phones have the Google Edition versions he can buy so if he buys HTc One google edition or galaxy s4 google edition they will both come with pure aosp code just like the nexus.

Posted Image

#70    ozman

ozman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

Also simbi forgot to mention one more thing in deciding factor, although the HTC One may have good speakers and all that, you really have the take into consideration the history that HTC has with overheating phones, just google "HTC One overheating" and you will understand what I am talking about, htc doesn't have as good as a quality control as Samsung.

Posted Image

#71    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

OK guys ,I'm on the precipice .
My upgrade is tomorrow.
With upgrade ,at radio shack ,HTC ONE is 150$ .
Galaxy S4 is 199$.

I've looked at videos,reviews ,specs ,and I'm still slightly torn .
Money is an issue right now too,so cheaper is better .

The HTC ONE is still all about the speakers for me ,for the galaxy has a language translator ,its volume is almost the same as the HTC ONE.
I watched a video that showed HTC ONE at 77 decibels,and the galaxy at 72 decibels.
However ,there is an non Samsung blue tooth keyboard case.
You can add a slide out keyboard . I found it for 40$ .

That's a selling point for me .
I also want to root it ,so I cannot be hacked.

Any thoughts on any of this ?
I know rooting voids the warranty ,but I'm so tired of being hacked .

Can rooting be done without a computer ? As I have no computer .This is why I need a smart phone .

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 30 July 2013 - 11:43 PM.

Miss me?

#72    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

View Postozman, on 30 June 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

Actually there is a way to flash without resetting flash counters, some custom roms have this capability but Simbi won't need a custom rom because both of these phones have the Google Edition versions he can buy so if he buys HTc One google edition or galaxy s4 google edition they will both come with pure aosp code just like the nexus.
I want to root the phone .
I'm sick of being hacked .And just by the by ,I'm a she ,not a he ... ^_^

Miss me?

#73    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:16 AM

View Poststevewinn, on 27 June 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

has anyone got any thoughts on Samsung's Galaxy S4 Zoom, which has a slightly different spec to the S4, a bit less processing power, screen is not 1080p but on the plus side it packs a 16Mp camera. for looks and style it looses style compared to the S4, but what you gain is one of the best camera phones out there?. am about to get a new phone, i've always be a fan of substance over style and im in the market for a smartphone with a great camera. im not sure if the Zoom is it? hence why im asking on here to see if anyone else has a view on the phone and its abilities.

out next month July here in the UK.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's not available here in the USA,but AT&T is getting the galaxy s4 waterproof version .
It's waterproof up to a few meters I think.

Thing is ,theyve had waterproof phones in Japan for a few years now.
No idea why they don't just let us have this stuff now.

Miss me?

#74    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:22 AM

View Postozman, on 30 June 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

Also simbi forgot to mention one more thing in deciding factor, although the HTC One may have good speakers and all that, you really have the take into consideration the history that HTC has with overheating phones, just google "HTC One overheating" and you will understand what I am talking about, htc doesn't have as good as a quality control as Samsung.

Since I play a lot of games,and watch movies a lot,the overheating is bad .
One person reported a phone that went up to 55degrees . The back is all metal . So HTC heated up as it was,with a metal back ,the heat is now conducted .
That sort of made my decision for me.
That's too hot for sure .

Miss me?

#75    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,810 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 30 July 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

OK guys ,I'm on the precipice .
My upgrade is tomorrow.
With upgrade ,at radio shack ,HTC ONE is 150$ .
Galaxy S4 is 199$.

I've looked at videos,reviews ,specs ,and I'm still slightly torn .
Money is an issue right now too,so cheaper is better .

The HTC ONE is still all about the speakers for me ,for the galaxy has a language translator ,its volume is almost the same as the HTC ONE.
I watched a video that showed HTC ONE at 77 decibels,and the galaxy at 72 decibels.
However ,there is an non Samsung blue tooth keyboard case.
You can add a slide out keyboard . I found it for 40$ .

That's a selling point for me .
I also want to root it ,so I cannot be hacked.

Any thoughts on any of this ?
I know rooting voids the warranty ,but I'm so tired of being hacked .

Can rooting be done without a computer ? As I have no computer .This is why I need a smart phone .

Wow. Over here the s4 costs $748 outright. With 1 USD = 1.11 AUD at the moment. We are getting fleece hard.

Also tagged with smart phones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users