Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Obama touches on drones, Gitmo, and terror

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

Great, another one of his "I'm really gonna do it this time, no really, I'm gonna do it now, no seriously, right now I'm going to do something" speeches.

Makes that Noble Prize even more laughable now, doesn't it?

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#17    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

View PostDarkHunter, on 25 May 2013 - 04:38 AM, said:

Personally I think it depends on the type of drone being used, who is using it, and how it is being used.  I don't think we need predator or reaper drones flying around the US but I can see where drones like the quad rotors can be extremely helpful to police.

I just don't think that this is a black and white issue of either drones or no drones, I think it is far more complicated that that.

Well the larger drones do have their uses, unarmed of course, for police. From what I understand they're used in the larger states to ensure that cattle farmers aren't polluting rivers.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#18    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

View PostCorp, on 24 May 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=po_c1

Well know most people here won't be happy with this (since Obama didn't declare all drone technology illegal and arrest himself :P) but at least it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully more work will be done on just how drones are used and putting more defined guidelines on their use. Also hope Gitmo can cleared out a bit and efforts can be made to phase it out.

Increased oversight is important, but not easy, Obama said.  (Take a look how long they take to pass a budget or do anything bipartison! )  While Obama has considered a special court or independent oversight board involving the legal branch of the government,  he plans to talk with Congress to determine how best to handle the deployment of drones. (that's what's in place for him to use now, I don't think he was saying there would be no oversight board eventually)

It's a difficult subject, once a government has technology of any type it is not going to give it up!  The best anyone can do is how to best use it or not use it. It's really the same situation as nuclear technology or even guns. It depends on who's using it and why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users