Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Roll over Einstein: meet Weinstein

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

What are we to make of a man who left academia more than two decades ago but claims to have solved some of the most intractable problems in physics?

Weinstein is an example of how science might change in future. "I find it remarkable that Eric was able to come up with such beautiful and original ideas even though he has been out of academia for so long (doing wonderful things in other areas, such as economics and finance). In the past week we have learned about an outstanding result about prime numbers proved by a mathematician who had been virtually unknown, and now comes Eric's lecture at Oxford.

http://www.guardian....-meet-weinstein

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#2    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

I didnt understand a word what Weinstein is talking about but maybe someone else will.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#3    Jessem

Jessem

Future Husband

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

• No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:11 PM

Theres alot going on in that article haha, but very interesting :clap:

The secret of life is'nt trying to figure out the secret, its about living it.

#4    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,706 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

esterday Weinstein, encouraged by du Sautoy, went public with a loud splash in British newspaper The Guardian and in a 2-hour presentation in the main physics lecture theatre here at the University of Oxford.

Sounds fair enough, until you discover that no one thought to invite any of Oxford's, er, physicists.

While Weinstein was delivering his lecture, the theoretical physicists were in a different room listening to a different speaker discuss a different topic (a new source of CP violation in charm physics and its implication for the unitarity triangle, if you're curious). Only afterwards did anyone spot news of the revelatory talk that had taken place next door.
Hosting a lecture in a university physics department without inviting any physicists is, at best, an unforgivable oversight. As my colleague Subir Sarkar put it, "It's surprising that the organisers did not invite the particle physicists to attend – if indeed the intention was to have a discussion."
http://www.newscient...ly-nothing.html

I'm excited to hear what Weinstein's "geometruc unity" is all about, though. It might even replace string theory (hopefully). Thanks, the L, for sharig this.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users