Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

plants won't grow near wifi routers

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

View PostFurthurBB, on 29 May 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

To cause cancer radiation has to have small enough waves to invade cells and damage DNA.  Cell phones and routers do not have small enough waves no matter the anecdotal evidence.

That may be true, however it does not explain the results of the seed germination in the experiment. This assumes the test of science of course: that it is testable, verifiable, repeatable and falsifiable. If it meets these criteria then these larger wavelengths do have at least some effect on living organisms, even if plants are not human beings.

#47    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• 2,094 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

I have two routers running wi-fi at home, no effect on nearby houseplants

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#48    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,359 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostOppono Astos, on 30 May 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

I love my plants and I have a cactus right next to my router,  and its doing as well as it ever did, better in fact, it now hisses at the cat, turns itself around,  and catches flies! :w00t:

But joking aside, maybe its just a cress thing?

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#49    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,865 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostOppono Astos, on 30 May 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

Ditto

The rich start wars

The poor fight them

Their children pay for them

#50    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,883 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

seedlings demonstrates the effects better than mature plants ....
if you can tell how healthy your plants are ... you may see that its not as healthy as before ....

~

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#51    Troublehalf

Troublehalf

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

View Postseeder, on 28 May 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

haha, I dunno... :w00t:   another comment without properly reading my post.  Re read it again - and under the vid...I wrote 'spoiler' and offered a link to precisely how it was done!   Im not stupid enough to believe in viral vids...

Indeed you did. My last bit was not directed at you, but in general. I know my post started off with "sorry it's fake" and citing you personally, but after the links, it was more how the video has caused so much hysteria when you could try it yourself and find out it doesn't do anything. I believe it was an advert for hands-free headsets, it worked very well.

So, yeah, sorry I gave the wrong end of the stick, very hard to post comments when you're tired and doing other things :P

#52    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,359 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostTroublehalf, on 31 May 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

Indeed you did. My last bit was not directed at you, but in general. I know my post started off with "sorry it's fake" and citing you personally, but after the links, it was more how the video has caused so much hysteria when you could try it yourself and find out it doesn't do anything. I believe it was an advert for hands-free headsets, it worked very well.

So, yeah, sorry I gave the wrong end of the stick, very hard to post comments when you're tired and doing other things :P

No worries, Ive done similar myself!!

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#53    samus

samus

Psychic Spy

• 1,652 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:16 AM

View PostDark_Grey, on 28 May 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

Ok, great - but if it was a pandemic, everyone would be complaining of constant headaches, tumors, etc.

The long term effect is I think what is most concerning.
Phone compagnies and health officials did not wash all doubts away from me as to whether or not the regular use of a cellphone is harmful. The studies are not that clear and there are confusing reports out there. There seems to be not enough data just yet. Perhaps time will tell. There may be very small level of radiation out of a cellphone but if one puts it on his head  every single day for over 10 or 20 years that may become harmful in the long term. You brain is directly exposed to that source of radiation. The use of a cellphone with moderation and at need might be to our advantage...

Edited by sam_comm, 03 June 2013 - 04:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users