Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The repercussions of being Atheist

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

#286    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,790 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

notforgotten - it's a fair point to remember here that we all don't agree on everything. Posting that others should agree with you and turn to your beliefs is part of belief, but against the rules of this site. Telling others to believe what you believe is not why this site exists and is against the rules of said site.

Everyone else, also keep this in mind, I know you may be taking an equally hardline stance against notforgotten, but telling him that there is no afterlife is an opinion (which you are free to hold, but don't demand others agree with you).

The preaching rules are here for a reason, I hope I don't have to elaborate on this.

Edited by Paranoid Android, 15 October 2013 - 01:50 PM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#287    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

This weekend I ran into an atheist I didn't like: he refused to talk about religion at any level because it's all fiction. He went another step farther and dismissed anyone who tried to discuss these fairy tales around him.

When I talked about the motivations of God in the same way I talk about the motivations of Jay Gatsby in "The Great Gatsby", this jerk would cut me off with stuff like "God? What are you talking about? There is no God. Why are we talking about something that doesn't exist?" I tried to explain that "God" is the main character in the Old Testament and there's nothing wrong with talking about fictional characters. This explanation made no impression on him and he continued to act like I was trying to convert everyone to monotheism by discussing a Bible story.

I've gotten Christians mad at me before but never an atheist.

#288    Spock_the_Future

Spock_the_Future

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

View Postscowl, on 15 October 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

This weekend I ran into an atheist I didn't like: he refused to talk about religion at any level because it's all fiction. He went another step farther and dismissed anyone who tried to discuss these fairy tales around him.

When I talked about the motivations of God in the same way I talk about the motivations of Jay Gatsby in "The Great Gatsby", this jerk would cut me off with stuff like "God? What are you talking about? There is no God. Why are we talking about something that doesn't exist?" I tried to explain that "God" is the main character in the Old Testament and there's nothing wrong with talking about fictional characters. This explanation made no impression on him and he continued to act like I was trying to convert everyone to monotheism by discussing a Bible story.

Hi,

You say "this jerk" for an Atheist, you also say "I tried to explain that "God" is the main character in the Old Testament and there's nothing wrong with talking about fictional characters. This explanation made no impression on him and he continued to act like I was trying to convert everyone to monotheism by discussing a Bible story" as he "he refused to talk about religion at any level because it's all fiction.", So he was saying that he did not believe in fictional characters and does not want to waste his time discussing about it, and you still consider him a jerk ? Just because you wanted to keep talking about the same and expecting him to listen to you even when he does not want to talk or discuss about the issue because it does not interest him and he wants to have no part in it. He was not asking you to disbelieve, he was asking you not to force your discussions on him. Does that make him a "Jerk" as you call him ?

Why were you trying to force him to talk about it ? May I ask   if you knew that he does not want to talk about it and then still call him "jerk" ? and then you say "I've gotten Christians mad at me before but never an atheist" while you were acting like a real bible thumping christian, forgive me for saying that. I think that you are contradicting yourself here.

Anyways your reactions very well reflects the reasons for my topic. I do not want to say all the derogatory things that come to my mind regarding the behavior that you bible thumpers exhibit, you have all the best derogatory statements I can only wish to learn at your fingre tips, I cannot even dream of beating you guys there, you are the masters Yay for that.

Sorry for the outburst and I am sure you will not be able to grasp the meaning and reply to the real question asked.

And like the Atheist you encountered, I reserve the right of my freedom to consider what is fiction or not and what to discuss or not and for a simile I am happy to be called a Jerk by you just because I am not interested in the topic you posted and would not wish to comment on it.

And a lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths.

I am a bad subject for polls, I believe almost anything.

#289    Spock_the_Future

Spock_the_Future

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

View Postscowl, on 15 October 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

Hi,

You say "this jerk" for an Atheist, you also say "I tried to explain that "God" is the main character in the Old Testament and there's nothing wrong with talking about fictional characters. This explanation made no impression on him and he continued to act like I was trying to convert everyone to monotheism by discussing a Bible story" as he "he refused to talk about religion at any level because it's all fiction.", So he was saying that he did not believe in fictional characters and does not want to waste his time discussing about it, and you still consider him a jerk ? Just because you wanted to keep talking about the same and expecting him to listen to you even when he does not want to talk or discuss about the issue because it does not interest him and he wants to have no part in it. He was not asking you to disbelieve, he was asking you not to force your discussions on him. Does that make him a "Jerk" as you call him ?

Why were you trying to force him to talk about it ? May I ask why is it so that when you knew that he does not want to talk about it you still forced the discussion on him and when he said that he did not want to discuss call him "jerk" ? and then you say "I've gotten Christians mad at me before but never an atheist" while you were acting like a real bible thumping christian, forgive me for saying that. I think that you are contradicting yourself here.

Anyways your reactions very well reflects the reasons for my topic. I do not want to say all the derogatory things that come to my mind regarding the behavior that you bible thumpers exhibit, you have all the best derogatory statements I can only wish to learn at your fingre tips, I cannot even dream of beating you guys there, you are the masters Yay for that.

Sorry for the outburst and I am sure you will not be able to grasp the meaning and reply to the real question asked.

And like the Atheist you encountered, I reserve the right of my freedom to consider what is fiction or not and what to discuss or not and for a simile I am happy to be called a Jerk by you just because I am not interested in the topic you posted and would not wish to comment on it.

Edited by Spock_the_Future, 17 October 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#290    Spock_the_Future

Spock_the_Future

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

Hi,

I am sorry but these duplicate posts are because of some website script malfunction, being tech would like to cure it but then the one handing this websites are equally intelligent and productive, My only request is. Can we delete the duplicate posts ?

#291    Spock_the_Future

Spock_the_Future

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

HI,

One of the post from me for Bible thumpers, Even when I am Atheist I Love this song. Does it not, even when we believe (You so called Religious people) or not (Like me) describe us, True meaning of the song anyone ? and I am sure this is the way we have got into the world and are making a mess of it and no Bible thumper would make me think of going to Heaven by reciting and not doing which actually they ask people according to bible to do. Let me ask them to do and not call people Jerk because they do not agree. work for it an let it show, let people believe that you do what you preach long before you preach, and do not call people Jerks because they have difference of opinion. Just read what is below and remember that I never am a hardliner Atheist. I was taught and later forced as a theist. I assume that I understand both perspectives or maybe I do not.

Songwriters: MICHAEL, GEORGE
These are the days of the open hand
They might just be the last
Look around now
These are the days of the beggars and the choosers

This is the year of the hungry man
Whose place is in the past
Hand in hand with ignorance
And legitimate excuses

The rich declare themselves poor
And most of us are not sure
If we have too much
But we'll take our chances
'Cause God's stopped keeping score
I guess somewhere along the way
He must have let us all out to play
Turned his back and all God's children
Crept out the back door

And it's hard to love, there's so much to hate
Hanging on to hope
When there is no hope to speak of
And the wounded skies above say it's much too much too late
Well maybe we should all be praying for time

These are the days of the empty hand
Oh, you hold on to what you can
And charity is a coat you wear twice a year

This is the year of the guilty man
Your television takes a stand
And you find that what was over there is over here

So you scream from behind your door
Say what's mine is mine and not yours
I may have too much but I'll take my chances
'Cause God's stopped keeping score
And you cling to the things they sold you
Did you cover your eyes when they told you
That he can't come back
'Cause he has no children to come back for

It's hard to love there's so much to hate
Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
And the wounded skies above say it's much too late
So maybe we should all be praying for time

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users