Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Space Age Gateway to New Atlantis Attraction

space shuttle atlantis kenndy space center

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,834 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

Space Age Gateway to New Atlantis Attraction Takes Shape

The home of space shuttle Atlantis continues taking shape at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex. Crews placed the nose cone atop the second of a replica pair of solid rocket boosters. A life-size external tank model will be built between them to form a complete "stack" the same size as the ones that lifted space shuttles into orbit for 30 years. The stack, which will reach 184 feet when finished, will straddle a walkway into the Space Shuttle Atlantis attraction's main building, a new, 90,000-square-foot exhibit hall housing Atlantis itself.

Source: NASAKennedy - YouTube Channel

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    shrooma

shrooma

Needs an exorcist, not a shrink....

• 3,462 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:19 PM

one of the biggest thrills of my life was watching a shuttle launch in '00, and it was a shame to see 'em stopped.
we'll probably never see anything that big blasting off again in our lifetime, and that lessens us all.....

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,834 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

View Postshrooma, on 28 May 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

we'll probably never see anything that big blasting off again in our lifetime,
Unless you don't expect to live until 2017 you are almost certainly wrong (I'm pleased to say).

2017 should see the first launch of NASA Space Launch System, a rocket considerably larger than the shuttle. The initial versions will be able to take 70 tonnes into low earth orbit.

When the largest version is built (some time after 2030) it will be larger and more powerful than even the legendary Saturn V. This version will not arrive until the 2030's but I'm planning to hang around until then.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    shrooma

shrooma

Needs an exorcist, not a shrink....

• 3,462 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

i'm glad i'm wrong too!!
:-)
I MIGHT be around for 2030 waspie, but I doubt it. I lead a, shall we say, 'unconventional' life, and if my body manages to last another 20yrs, no-one will be more suprised than me!
be nice if I did though, something bigger than a saturn v would be well worth hanging around for!
not sure I can mend my ways enough though, sadly.

Edited by shrooma, 29 May 2013 - 01:37 AM.

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users