Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

The Druid path

druid ár ndraíocht féin obod oad pagan

  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    trancelikestate

trancelikestate

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Joined:26 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:31 AM

I've considered myself a non practicing pagan for some time. I hold pagan ideals but follow no set path or practice. Feeling in need of direction I've found myself quite interested in druidry. Spiritual enlightenment through an ancient form of nature worship seems right down my ally.

I was wondering if there are any practicing druids here?

What organizations do you belong to? Please share your experiences, likes and dislikes. Can you explain the differences in the various druid groups and what are your recommendations and suggestions for a curious young man in search of more?


#2    shrooma

shrooma

    doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

  • Member
  • 3,570 posts
  • Joined:14 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:leeds, UK.

  • Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:45 AM

shame you don't live in britain TLS, it's the big druid get-together at stonehenge in 3wks time for the summer solstice, you'd love it!
:-)

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#3    trancelikestate

trancelikestate

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Joined:26 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

View Postshrooma, on 29 May 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

shame you don't live in britain TLS, it's the big druid get-together at stonehenge in 3wks time for the summer solstice, you'd love it!
:-)

ya too bad, I'd love to see the ceremony whether I decide to join an order or not


#4    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

    Bio-Electric sentient being.

  • Member
  • 9,784 posts
  • Joined:23 Jun 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Hurricane State

  • May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

Me..Me...Me   I hope you like to read.  There are not a lot of them in my part of Florida.  I just hooked up with a local Druid, but I got a year and a day of study before I am officially in. I been part of an Eclectic Pagan circle for many years, but no Druids in it. I'll post you a reading list to help you out, but it is time for my nap.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#5    trancelikestate

trancelikestate

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Joined:26 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 29 May 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

Me..Me...Me   I hope you like to read.  There are not a lot of them in my part of Florida.  I just hooked up with a local Druid, but I got a year and a day of study before I am officially in. I been part of an Eclectic Pagan circle for many years, but no Druids in it. I'll post you a reading list to help you out, but it is time for my nap.

That would be great, for me or anyone else thinking of druidry. Up where I am in Canada I don't think there are many druids either, or at least no groves that I can find. I've read "The Mysteries of Druidry" by Brendan Cathbad Myers, PH.D. and have done enough research to get me interested but pending further research I may end up joining and recieving more formal training from one of the big organizations and going from there.

Right now I am leaning toward The Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids as the other big name, the Order of Ancient druids, seems more like an attempted reconstruction and a club rather than spirituality. I do believe the OBOD has tried to add more of a spiritual aspect to the reconstruction. Then there is the Ár nDraíocht Féin (ADF) which also intrigues me and tend to be more active in North America and cost less to learn from. All this is assumptions I've made based on my own interpretations of their websites of coarse so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by trancelikestate, 29 May 2013 - 10:21 PM.


#6    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

    Bio-Electric sentient being.

  • Member
  • 9,784 posts
  • Joined:23 Jun 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Hurricane State

  • May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

Ya,  OBOD has an ok organization but the training is pricey, ADF is less expensive and has a good program. I'll say this Reconstruction is kind of a misnomer. There isn't much to reconstruct. The Druids and their kind didn't write much down or it was burnt. That is most likely a good thing. What  is left has filtered down though Romans, (who were killing them) Christian monks and a lot of 18th century stuff of questionable origins. The Celtic people were a wild bunch and they did a lot of fighting each other. The Druids, Bards were their priest class. Druids where kind of the lawyers, judges, and priests. Bards were the story tellers, musicians, artist, and newsmen.  Modern Druidry is just that, modern.

That being said, it is still a valid path. It is an Earth based path. It is not a revealed religion. There is no sacred text.  It is a path of experience though meditation, the study of the Earth, history, science, or as a Bard art, music, poetry, and story telling. Gods are not mandatory.  I do a Bardic circle twice a year and we circle and share poety, art story telling and music. The Ritual is only a small part of it and is mostly to get everyone on the same page. I don't use Gods or Goddess, I use energy and ancestors.  Right now I am studing the stories of the Welsh people and their meaning.  
The Mabinogion,  Jeffrey Gantz.
Cauldron Born, by Huges is good.
I have learned a lot from Damh the Bard (David Smith)  You can find him on youtube and facebook.
You can find Druids and other Pagan in your area at Witchvox.
There are lots of books, you have to kind of sort them, to find what is right for your path. Remember though, your first and last teacher is the Earth.

Edited by Darkwind, 30 May 2013 - 12:50 AM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#7    trancelikestate

trancelikestate

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Joined:26 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 30 May 2013 - 12:47 AM, said:

Ya,  OBOD has an ok organization but the training is pricey, ADF is less expensive and has a good program. I'll say this Reconstruction is kind of a misnomer. There isn't much to reconstruct. The Druids and their kind didn't write much down or it was burnt. That is most likely a good thing. What  is left has filtered down though Romans, (who were killing them) Christian monks and a lot of 18th century stuff of questionable origins. The Celtic people were a wild bunch and they did a lot of fighting each other. The Druids, Bards were their priest class. Druids where kind of the lawyers, judges, and priests. Bards were the story tellers, musicians, artist, and newsmen.  Modern Druidry is just that, modern.

That being said, it is still a valid path. It is an Earth based path. It is not a revealed religion. There is no sacred text.  It is a path of experience though meditation, the study of the Earth, history, science, or as a Bard art, music, poetry, and story telling. Gods are not mandatory.  I do a Bardic circle twice a year and we circle and share poety, art story telling and music. The Ritual is only a small part of it and is mostly to get everyone on the same page. I don't use Gods or Goddess, I use energy and ancestors.  Right now I am studing the stories of the Welsh people and their meaning.  
The Mabinogion,  Jeffrey Gantz.
Cauldron Born, by Huges is good.
I have learned a lot from Damh the Bard (David Smith)  You can find him on youtube and facebook.
You can find Druids and other Pagan in your area at Witchvox.
There are lots of books, you have to kind of sort them, to find what is right for your path. Remember though, your first and last teacher is the Earth.

Thank you Darkwind for the input and resource suggestions.

Ya I understand true Druidry died with them 2000 years ago, but the ideals interpreted with the modern revival, are more or less what I already personally believe and therefore intrigue me. I like the fact that it is a "religion" (or more so a philosphophy) that has no absolutes. Spirituality through the natural world is ultimately what I believe. Granted I don't need an organizations structure to acheive this, mentorship and community are also the reasons I was considering joining an organization. More so to complement my own evolving beliefs.  As I've stated where I am there arn't alot of druids or pagans in general to discuss ideas with.


#8    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

    Bio-Electric sentient being.

  • Member
  • 9,784 posts
  • Joined:23 Jun 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Hurricane State

  • May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

There might be more than you think. They kind hide because we get a lot of flack, you can lose you job over it. It is not as bad as it used to be but it still happens.   More and more people are coming to the Pagan path.  I think it is going to become a major force in the west in this century. Go to Witchvox and look for festivals.  Festivals are a good place to find like minded people. I have met more than a few Canadian Pagans.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#9    Red Moon

Red Moon

    Angry werewolf girl

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts
  • Joined:10 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Monster Avenue

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

My uncle is a druid. He practically lives at Stonehenge.


#10    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

    Bio-Electric sentient being.

  • Member
  • 9,784 posts
  • Joined:23 Jun 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Hurricane State

  • May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostRogue Suga, on 30 May 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

My uncle is a druid. He practically lives at Stonehenge.

Do you know which Druid organization he is affiliated with?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#11    Red Moon

Red Moon

    Angry werewolf girl

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts
  • Joined:10 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Monster Avenue

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 30 May 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

Do you know which Druid organization he is affiliated with?

The Stonehenge druids I think.


#12    shrooma

shrooma

    doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

  • Member
  • 3,570 posts
  • Joined:14 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:leeds, UK.

  • Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 30 May 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:



Do you know which Druid organization he is affiliated with?
.
most probably the hermetic order of the golden dawn, they're the ones usually performing the rituals at the festival. I usually have a chat with their high druid, uther pendragon while i'm there, and i'll post you some photo's of him doing the ceremonies while i'm there!

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#13    shrooma

shrooma

    doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

  • Member
  • 3,570 posts
  • Joined:14 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:leeds, UK.

  • Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostRogue Suga, on 30 May 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:



The Stonehenge druids I think.
.
.....or he could be part of the stonehenge & amesbury druids.
they're a bit more radical than the HOGD, very vocal when it comes to gatecrashing public meetings about the (alleged!) renovation of the 'henge.
which one's your uncle Rogue, i've met them all at one time or other, so I must've met your uncle at some point!

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#14    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

    Bio-Electric sentient being.

  • Member
  • 9,784 posts
  • Joined:23 Jun 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Hurricane State

  • May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

I have ofter wondered why they don't build another one at another site for Rituals.  Stonehenge is such important archaeological site people being people they will do a lot of damage. I have been know to get up after festival and ritual at our ritual grounds and pitch a fit over the mess left over. Get their drunken asses out of bed.  We don't let them use our private one.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#15    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

    jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

  • Member
  • 3,609 posts
  • Joined:27 May 2011
  • Location:Currently entering

  • It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

One can easily volunteer themselves to help clean after a festival.

There is no reason why this important site cannot host cultural festivals that respect both sensitivity and its importance.

When our city has festivals of any kind they always have in place a plan of who and how the cleanup will be done beforehand.

Quote

Are you cool with the Druids?


You'll need to be if you're going to apply to be the general manager of Stonehenge. For the first time, English Heritage -- a government body that oversees the site -- is looking for the "brightest and the best" to care for the site in Wiltshire, and one of the general manager's main functions is to liaise with Druid leaders, BBC reports.

Stonehenge General Manager Sought To Liaise With Druid Leaders





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users