Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

[Merged] Ghost woods That lead to Hells Gate

ghosts texas haunted dallas river legacy park

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31    Brazos Paranormal

Brazos Paranormal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:58 AM

There is an old  fort across the river from here called Birds Fort. We did talk to one park ranger who was familiar with the story, and said that there were some very old artifacts from that era, including pieces of cannons in different parts of the park, but she didn't know of any remains of any gateposts anywhere. Curses, foiled again.
This was copyed from Werid Texas website there is old cannons and civil war artifacts found here.  VERY INTERESTING ****

#32    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,720 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostBrazos Paranormal, on 26 July 2013 - 03:58 AM, said:

There is an old  fort across the river from here called Birds Fort. We did talk to one park ranger who was familiar with the story, and said that there were some very old artifacts from that era, including pieces of cannons in different parts of the park, but she didn't know of any remains of any gateposts anywhere. Curses, foiled again.
This was copyed from Werid Texas website there is old cannons and civil war artifacts found here.  VERY INTERESTING ****

Ya know, you used this same exact CCP in post 25... And still you did not provide the source link for your direct quote. Please provide your source links when you are copying other peoples information.

#33    phantasia

phantasia

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

• "Education has failed in a very serious way to convey the most important lesson science can teach: skepticism."
    DAVID SUZUKI

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Yeah, copying older posts word-for-word is getting really annoying.  Also, to the OP, please address all the questions that are being asked of you.

The truth need never fear ridicule.  ~ Sir Wearer of Hats

Psychosocial hypothesis in Ufology : http://en.wikipedia....cial_hypothesis

#34    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,934 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

Brazos, please avoid copy and pasting the same response multiple times as this is generally considered to be a form of spam.

Thank you.

#35    Brazos Paranormal

Brazos Paranormal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

Ok , I wont bump no more

#36    JamieSymptom

JamieSymptom

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

I can't think of anything LESS spooky than a 20 yr old public park.

Posted Image

#37    Brazos Paranormal

Brazos Paranormal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:35 PM

Its just a locale legend im investigating.No reason to be rude.

#38    JamieSymptom

JamieSymptom

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

View PostBrazos Paranormal, on 29 July 2013 - 11:35 PM, said:

Its just a locale legend im investigating.No reason to be rude.

No rudeness intended, I'm just baffled at some of the locales that legends and hearsay spring up around. Being from England - where we have houses and buildings that are 600+ years old and that drip in verifiable gruesome history - it intrigues me somewhat that legends spring up regarding recent events, and in modern locations, in places like America, Australia etc.

I just don't find the idea of a modern municipal park spooky at all, when I've slept in ruined castles, hunted through the long-abandoned remains of grand houses and visited catacombs that hold the bones of literally millions of dead.

Posted Image

#39    MacsMom

MacsMom

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

• Random crap that no one reads anyway

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

This is all I found on any hangings at all in the area, and they were Union, not Confederate, and it happened in Gainesville.

Got the following from Wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth.  But I'm thinking this "legend" is little more than an attempt at financial gain for tours.

In October of 1862, approximately 150 settlers belonging to a secretive Union League in and around Cooke County on the Red River were arrested by the 11th Texas Cavalry led by Colonel William C. Young on the orders of Colonel James Bourland, Confederate provost marshall for northern Texas. A court was convened in Gainesville to try the men accused of plotting to seize the arsenals at Sherman and Gainesville and to kill their loyal Confederate neighbors, seize their property, and to cooperate with Union army forces poised to invade northern Texas from Arkansas and/or Indian Territory. The plot was quite real; Young and Bourland found several large caches of weapons, and many of the accused admitted their guilt and divulged their secret grip, signs, and password ("Arizona") to the court. Several of the ringleaders were hanged in what is now downtown Gainesville during the first week of October. It appeared that the matter had been put to rest, but while the jury recessed, an unknown assassin killed Colonel Young from ambush, and the trials rebegan in earnest. Nineteen additional suspects were found guilty and hanged before the end of the month. A total of about forty conspirators were hanged in Gainesville, two were shot while trying to escape, and two more were hanged elsewhere after being turned over to a military tribunal at their own request. There was never an assembled mob, as some have suggested, at any time. Under the primitive conditions that obtained on the Texas frontier during the Civil War, the legal proceedings, however imperfect, were about as deliberate and legitimate as could be expected. Accusations of a kangaroo court are clearly refuted by the fact that of the 150 defendants to come before the court, more than two-thirds were found not guilty and immediately released without so much as even paying a fine. A granite monument in a small park marks the spot where the hangings took place.

Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along.  Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone?

#40    Brazos Paranormal

Brazos Paranormal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:51 AM

Lots of hangings here , just learn how to use google

#41    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,720 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostBrazos Paranormal, on 02 August 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:

Well then, why don't you use google and provide us with the information on these hangings.

#42    MrBene

MrBene

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

• A regular guy

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

The only thing I found about "massive" hanged soldiers during the Civil War is this. And they were only 13 men. So I don't know what this man is talking about.

http://www.historyne...th-carolina.htm

#43    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,937 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostBrazos Paranormal, on 02 August 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:

You made the claim about Indian burial grounds and hundreds of civil war soldiers being hanged therefore you should be expected to provide evidence for your case.  As it is, others have Googled this and either found reasons to think the story about "Hell's Gate" was made up by people who run ghost tours of the area or that there was incident(s) of civil war hangings in the general area and not in the specific area you claimed, and nowhere on the scale of the "hundreds" you are claiming, but not seemingly linked to any paranormal incidents.

Internet users who instruct others to research the topic themselves or to use Google come across as either ignorant or arrogant.  It's not like someone asked you what the capital of Nigeria is, in which case telling them to use Google is a valid response.  Asking them to use Google when they ask you for evidence, when you are claiming knowledge about a matter of local historical interest that you claim to have personally investigated, just isn't on.  If you have the info, just post it.  Something other than a copy and paste job of an uncited local legend in "Weird Texas".  Actual evidence.

This isn't some creepypasta website where anyone can post anything they want and expect nothing but follow-up posts of "creepy" "interesting" "scary" like your own bumps to make your own story more interesting than others seem to.  Be expected for someone to ask for evidence or question issues with anything you post here.

Edited by JesseCuster, 02 August 2013 - 03:07 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#44    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

View PostBrazos Paranormal, on 13 June 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

video of book , sorry my life told me to do it sideways she said it would look better and convert later. didn't work that way.

Yeah my life told me to stop visiting your threads but my ocd makes me read all threads in this section. Darn it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users