Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 11 votes

The Paranormal is it Fake?

• Please log in to reply
852 replies to this topic

#571    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,721 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

Goodbye XFelix...

You drug me to your level and beat me with experience....

You win.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#572    alibongo

alibongo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:06 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 June 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

........  I did not say relligion is sociopathic and that kind of distortion is close to unforgivable.
I do.

#573    alibongo

alibongo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

Well, I think xFelix deserves credit. Once he had unleashed the dark forces, who could say how and when it would end? That is the trouble when people challenge the paranormal, they can end up losing their wits through terror. I seen it in a film, forgot what it was called, anyway, once the demons were released there was no way to recall them.

Edited by alibongo, 27 June 2013 - 11:14 PM.

#574    alibongo

alibongo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostxFelix, on 27 June 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

2) Know what is a bigger claim? You just claimed to conclude that the religion of millions of people from as far back as 4,000 years ago does not exist, and you did that based on a single conversation and nothing else.

I am an atheist myself, but I do not claim religions do not exist. Unfortunately they do exist, and cause terrible calamity amongst individuals and amongst groups. It sounds from this sentence that you believe that the more ancient a religion is, the more "true" it is.I think the converse, the older the religion, the more likely it is to be steeped in ignorant dogma and superstition. If I had to choose a religion for myself, I think a Cargo Cult or Scientology would be more upbeat and amusing.

#575    xFelix

xFelix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

• Yea I'm Pagan, oh no!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

View Postalibongo, on 27 June 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

I am an atheist myself, but I do not claim religions do not exist. Unfortunately they do exist, and cause terrible calamity amongst individuals and amongst groups. It sounds from this sentence that you believe that the more ancient a religion is, the more "true" it is.I think the converse, the older the religion, the more likely it is to be steeped in ignorant dogma and superstition. If I had to choose a religion for myself, I think a Cargo Cult or Scientology would be more upbeat and amusing.
Actually, the older religions are being vindicated by scientific studies in most their beliefs more and more every day. Meanwhile I know nothing about the newer religions so I will not comment on whether or not they are being scientifically vindicated.

For example, in my religion it is believed that everything has a vibration. Here we are, 4000 years later with scientists saying everything has a vibration. We believe that there is an afterlife, here we are 4000 years later with scientists saying there is a individual conciousness that seems to survive death. We believe that a spirit can be placed into an object or animal, here we are 4000 years later with an African Grey parrot named Nkisi(Which means spirit receptacle) that seems to actually talk, not just repeat but actually talk. I can go on for a while pointing out all the things science is now vindicating, but for the sake of the thread I will leave it at 3 examples.

My posts consist of my opinions, beliefs, and experiences, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner.

I have a right to my beleifs, just as you have a right to not agree with them.

So long as we respect each other's beliefs, we won't have a single problem.

#576    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

Many of us fear death. We believe in death because we have been told we will die. We associate ourselves with the body, and we know that bodies die. But a new scientific theory suggests that death is not the terminal event we think.

One well-known aspect of quantum physics is that certain observations cannot be predicted absolutely. Instead, there is a range of possible observations each with a different probability. One mainstream explanation, the “many-worlds” interpretation, states that each of these possible observations corresponds to a different universe (the ‘multiverse’). A new scientific theory – called biocentrism – refines these ideas. There are an infinite number of universes, and everything that could possibly happen occurs in some universe. Death does not exist in any real sense in these scenarios. All possible universes exist simultaneously, regardless of what happens in any of them. Although individual bodies are destined to self-destruct, the alive feeling – the ‘Who am I?’- is just a 20-watt fountain of energy operating in the brain. But this energy doesn’t go away at death. One of the surest axioms of science is that energy never dies; it can neither be created nor destroyed. But does this energy transcend from one world to the other?

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#577    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,731 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:58 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 June 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

This idea that one can choose to believe something in spite of contrary evidence or when there is no evidence just falls flat on its face it is so untrue.

I think the same applies to whether or not you make a choice as to whether you are hansome or not.  If you like what you see in the mirror, you will think you are hansome, but if you don't, you won't.  No choice here either.
I'm sorry Frank but  that way of thinking is so alien to mine, and to what I consider logical thought, that I can't  really comprehend how you arrive at it.

I can choose to believe i am handsome or I can chose to believe I am ugly. I can chose to believ god exists or i can chose to believe god does not exist What I ahve NO choice to believ or disbeliev is anything I know to be true or false. Eg i cannot believe i am a female, but nor can i believe i am a male, because i KNOW what I am.

Let us say there are 30 teachers at a conference. I can say, honestly, and logically, either that i believe i am the most intelligent one there, or the least intelligent one there.

Now suppose we all sit an intelligence test, and the results become known. I can no longer offer any belief position on my comparative intelligence, because my rating (first, last, or in the middle,) is now KNOWN.

Edited by Mr Walker, 30 June 2013 - 07:03 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#578    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,526 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

There's a giant of a cage full of birds sitting on the balcony outside my window making a tremendous racket.  At the same time my randomized play list has brought up "Feed the Birds" and my daughter just brought me some watermelon.  What should I do?

I suppose I could "choose" to interpret these as a message that I don't need the watermelon as much as the birds do, or I could "choose" to say that's just nonsense -- events do not contain hidden messages.  Regardless, I know some birds that are going to get some watermelon, not because of some omen but because I want to.

#579    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,731 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 30 June 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

There's a giant of a cage full of birds sitting on the balcony outside my window making a tremendous racket.  At the same time my randomized play list has brought up "Feed the Birds" and my daughter just brought me some watermelon.  What should I do?

I suppose I could "choose" to interpret these as a message that I don't need the watermelon as much as the birds do, or I could "choose" to say that's just nonsense -- events do not contain hidden messages.  Regardless, I know some birds that are going to get some watermelon, not because of some omen but because I want to.
MAny choices are open to you. Why feed the damn birds at all ?   :innocent:  It only encourages them to sit outside your window and make a racket. But yes you havee a choice which is open to any huma being. You can chose to see a connection a coincidence, a correlation or none of these between the birds and the music. To my mind it is entirely serendipitous but i have no belief about the two things. Perhaps the birds have been conditioned to come to your window when you play music  so they will be fed because you are there, and you are soft hearted. If i was there, and took no notice of them, they might not turn up at the window at all. I do not have the data to make an informed decision.

Even though they are caged birds this point remains valid, in that their behaviour might be a consitioned response to your behaviour.

Edited by Mr Walker, 30 June 2013 - 08:23 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#580    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

View PostxFelix, on 28 June 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

Actually, the older religions are being vindicated by scientific studies in most their beliefs more and more every day.

xFelix will say anything but never includes any references because what he says isn't true.

For example, in my religion it is believed that everything has a vibration. Here we are, 4000 years later with scientists saying everything has a vibration.

You have no idea what "vibration" means in a scientific context.

We believe that there is an afterlife, here we are 4000 years later with scientists saying there is a individual conciousness that seems to survive death.

Again, you can't cite any of these scientists because there is not one single legitimate scientist on Earth who will claim this.

#581    xFelix

xFelix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

• Yea I'm Pagan, oh no!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:25 AM

View Postscowl, on 01 July 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

xFelix will say anything but never includes any references because what he says isn't true.

You have no idea what "vibration" means in a scientific context.

Again, you can't cite any of these scientists because there is not one single legitimate scientist on Earth who will claim this.

Dr. Gary Schwartz MD
Dr. Rupert Sheldrake, PhD. biochemist, plant physiologist, Fellow of Clare College, Cambridge & author
Victor Zammit
Sir William Barrett F.R.S
Sir Oliver Lodge F.R.S
Sir William Crookes F.R.S
Professor Hyslop Professor of Logic at Columbia University
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Sir Oliver Lodge
Arthur Findlay
Camille Flammarion
Dr Baraduc
Professor Richet
Alfred Russel Wallace
Professor Robert Hare
Professor Albert Einstein
Marconi F.W. Myers
Professor William James
Dr Carrington
Emmanuel Swedenborg
Thomas Alva Edison
Baron von Schrenck-Notzing
Professor Charles Richet
Professor Eugene Osty
Professor Gustav Geley
George Meek
Dr Glen Hamilton
Dr Kübler-Ross
Dr Melvin Morse
Professor Archie Roy
Dr J.B. Rhine and his wife Dr Louisa Rhine
Dr Dean Radin
Professor David Fontana

Have all done research into the afterlife, and have all stated that there is an individual consciousness that seems to survive death.

Not to mention I already linked to their research, but you can't see it because it goes directly against your argument which means you are completely blind to it's existence.

My posts consist of my opinions, beliefs, and experiences, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner.

I have a right to my beleifs, just as you have a right to not agree with them.

So long as we respect each other's beliefs, we won't have a single problem.

#582    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,255 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:32 AM

View PostxFelix, on 02 July 2013 - 02:25 AM, said:

Dr. Gary Schwartz MD
Dr. Rupert Sheldrake, PhD. biochemist, plant physiologist, Fellow of Clare College, Cambridge & author
Victor Zammit
Sir William Barrett F.R.S
Sir Oliver Lodge F.R.S
Sir William Crookes F.R.S
Professor Hyslop Professor of Logic at Columbia University
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Sir Oliver Lodge
Arthur Findlay
Camille Flammarion
Dr Baraduc
Professor Richet
Alfred Russel Wallace
Professor Robert Hare
Professor Albert Einstein
Marconi F.W. Myers
Professor William James
Dr Carrington
Emmanuel Swedenborg
Thomas Alva Edison
Baron von Schrenck-Notzing
Professor Charles Richet
Professor Eugene Osty
Professor Gustav Geley
George Meek
Dr Glen Hamilton
Dr Kübler-Ross
Dr Melvin Morse
Professor Archie Roy
Dr J.B. Rhine and his wife Dr Louisa Rhine
Dr Dean Radin
Professor David Fontana

Have all done research into the afterlife, and have all stated that there is an individual consciousness that seems to survive death.

Not to mention I already linked to their research, but you can't see it because it goes directly against your argument which means you are completely blind to it's existence.

I am curious as to where they all got their degrees from (Except for Einstein, but he later changed his views).

Thomas Paine wrote in The Age of Reason that “Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous execution, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God."
http://www.astrology...hp?albumid=1164
http://www.astrology...ead.php?t=81593

#583    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,731 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:08 AM

View PostHavocWing, on 02 July 2013 - 02:32 AM, said:

I am curious as to where they all got their degrees from (Except for Einstein, but he later changed his views).

I presume FRS stands for Fellow of the Royal Society.

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia:
Royal Society (of London for Improving Natural Knowledge)

Home > Library > Miscellaneous > Britannica Concise Encyclopedia

Leading scientific society in Britain and the oldest national scientific society in the world. Founded in 1660, its early members included Robert Hooke, Christopher Wren, Isaac Newton, and Edmond Halley. It has long provided an impetus to scientific thought and research in the U.K., and its achievements have become internationally famous. The society's Philosophical Transactions, the oldest scientific periodical in continuous publication, has published papers since 1665. The society awards several prizes, the most prestigious being the Copley Medal. At the beginning of the 21st century, the society had some 1,300 fellows and 130 foreign members.

Read more: http://www.answers.c...y#ixzz2XqzlKJMT

http://www.answers.c...c/royal-society

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#584    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,384 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:11 AM

View Postalibongo, on 27 June 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

Hey, scientology will drain your bank account and block you from taking certain meds.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#585    alibongo

alibongo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:32 AM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 02 July 2013 - 03:11 AM, said:

Hey, scientology will drain your bank account and block you from taking certain meds.
Yeah, but I believe Ron Hubbard was a science fiction writer, so he has some cool stuff about aliens, weird body meters or something, and a mad hierarchy which can only be reached through paying huge sums of money. Obviously no religion is worth paying for, but it might be a lark to get involved at ground floor level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users