Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Chimpanzee Anger Research

anger primate behavior

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

Chimpanzees and bonobos have temper tantrums when their decisions don't play out as they'd hoped, hinting that humans aren't the only species to let emotions influence their choices.
These non-human apes pout, whimper, scratch themselves and bang on things when a risky choice fails to pay off or when they have to wait for a desired reward, according to new research published Wednesday (May 29) in the journal PLOS ONE.

"Even though animals don't engage in economic behavior like humans with money, the psychological skills that humans bring to the table when making economic decisions seem to be shared with animals," said study leader Alexandra Rosati, a postdoctoral researcher in psychology at Yale University.

http://www.huffingto..._n_3358721.html

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#2    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

I knew it!
women are descended from chimps!!
(and football players!)
:-)

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

Doesn't surprise me.  Chimps have been known to make spears to kill Monkeys with, murder and rape other Chimps too.

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

View Postshrooma, on 31 May 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

I knew it!
women are descended from chimps!!
(and football players!)
lol men are descended from Baboons. :yes:

#5    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

• Observation, individual resourcefulness... what would we be without them?

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

SIGH!!!!!!

You need them to bang their hands on the wall and shriek in agony to notice they're angry? I guess science can't read emotions as well as me. I must be some kind of a psychic. (I expect a lot of people to detect sarcasm in this, maybe I'm a foreteller too) >.<

View PostHilander, on 31 May 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

lol men are descended from Baboons. :yes:

I agree, descended not ascended. We're devolved from them. :D

Edited by Mikko-kun, 31 May 2013 - 09:17 PM.

I've been born again 31,8,2014 approximately 21:35 local time. A moment free of clutter in the mind, emancipating myself like an escapist, allowing myself to breathe life in a stronger, less physical level... though it does resonate to physical world. It's the oomph.

#6    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostHilander, on 31 May 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

Doesn't surprise me.  Chimps have been known to make spears to kill Monkeys with, murder and rape other Chimps too.
I know what you mean Hil, I once watched a David Attenborough (St David be praised!) documentary on chimpanzees hunting other chimps and they're very sneaky & bloodthirsty.
they tracked another group of chimps through the jungle, and when they attacked they had groups of chimps in the trees chasing the other group onto the jungle floor, where the other half of the first group were waiting for them in an ambush, and when they caught them, they literally tore them to pieces while they were still alive!!
very disturbing sight for a young, growing lad to be watching, and i've never thought of chimps being cute, cuddly 'cheetah' monkeys ever again!

Edited by shrooma, 31 May 2013 - 09:21 PM.

if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

View Postshrooma, on 31 May 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

I know what you mean Hil, I once watched a David Attenborough (St David be praised!) documentary on chimpanzees hunting other chimps and they're very sneaky & bloodthirsty.
they tracked another group of chimps through the jungle, and when they attacked they had groups of chimps in the trees chasing the other group onto the jungle floor, where the other half of the first group were waiting for them in an ambush, and when they caught them, they literally tore them to pieces while they were still alive!!
very disturbing sight for a young, growing lad to be watching, and i've never thought of chimps being cute, cuddly 'cheetah' monkeys ever again!
I know they can be cold blooded killers.  They are very strong too, wouldn't want one after me.

#8    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:38 PM

Hilander is spot on.

We have seen documented evidence of Chimps acting equally as bad as their human counterparts.. For some reason It does look worse than human behavior, because we don't expect it from a close living relative.

Posted Image

#9    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,580 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:49 PM

View PostInsanity, on 31 May 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

Chimpanzees and bonobos have temper tantrums when their decisions don't play out as they'd hoped

Sounds like a lot of us here during discussions. I wonder if they have accounts?

Smile, it is a joke.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#10    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:04 AM

View Postxsas, on 31 May 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

Hilander is spot on.

We have seen documented evidence of Chimps acting equally as bad as their human counterparts.. For some reason It does look worse than human behavior, because we don't expect it from a close living relative.
You expect a wild animal to kill but not like they do.  Not for food but with hate, just the desire to get rid of them.

#11    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:32 AM

From the study cited;

"Overall, our results indicate that chimpanzees and bonobos show affective and motivational responses when making decisions. In the temporal task, apes responded more negatively to waiting, exhibiting all three target behaviors more often following a choice for the delayed option. In the risk task they responded negatively to undesired outcomes, producing all three target behaviors more often when they chose the risky option and received the low-value payoff. In addition, apes selectively attempted to switch their choices following undesired outcomes. "

"Overall, these results indicate decision-making in apes involves affective and motivational processes, similar to those seen in humans."

Wow, who would have thought?

"An important consideration for future research is whether these emotional responses play a causal role in ape decision-making, as they do in humans."

Yup, every research paper ends with the need for more funding/grants , er, research.

Brilliant.  /sigh

Well, at least they didn't kill them after to see how it affected their hippocampus and amygdala.

#12    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:51 AM

View Postredhen, on 01 June 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:

Yup, every research paper ends with the need for more funding/grants , er, research.

I wish I could cross stuff out, it looks dead good!
stoopid phone....
*sulks-throws rattle out of pram-exhibits chimp-like characteristics*

#13    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:54 AM

My pet birds have bad tempers if they are made mad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users