Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why do people get so mad when questioned ?

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#16    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:05 AM

I think we're starting to lose the art of civil discourse in our society. Look at someone like Rush Limbaugh, who still is extremely popular with some folks. He and some others have taught us that it's OK and even desirable to use pejoratives for those who disagree with us, to cut people off in mid-sentence who aren't true believers. I saw it during the last 2 election cycles, and in my own family. Those of us who are Democrats & liberals were called all kinds of names, denigrated, mocked, and subjected to rants that were full of inaccuracies. And the people who felt perfectly free to post or say whatever they wanted got really p***ed when they got a response they didn't like. Part of it is just plain bad manners, some of it is due to adopting a poor role model, ignorance plays a role, as does confirmation bias and immaturity.

We used to be able to agree to disagree, now we just call each other names and identify ourselves and others by our differences instead of our commonality. The US has become extremely polarized, and that them vs us attitude hurts everyone in the long run. But, people do like to be right, and some people will insist on being right no matter what price they have to pay. In the long run, they end up hurting themselves.

#17    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,335 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:28 AM

I don't know, I am used to having my belief system attacked. Hell they come up on the porch to do it. I guess they don't see pentacle next to the door and the instruction to think about why they are there.  On a website like this I could care less and I don't take it personal,  I am here to discuss and debate. If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't be here, I really don't do anything if I don't enjoy it. I am too old and mess up to worry about what somebody on a website says.  There are some people on this site I have a great deal of respect for. Some I have none, respect you have to earn. There are people here I have know for years. There are many who are gone I really miss.  I met some first class science and history buffs. If you start talking BS there is somebody who is going to call you out on it and if you can't back up your science or history here your not going to win the debate. If you can't handle it you need to move on, because especially this forum you're not going  to get a break.

Saru split the religion  and skepticism the into two. That way if you want something light you can on the religion part and i you want something more adversarial you can come to this one. One good thing about being a Pagan is we really don't care what religion people are as long as you play nice and nobody gets physically  hurt. We believe when you're ready, you will understand.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#18    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:29 AM

Everyone knows there are nuts on here, after awhile , they are easy to identify.
They are the one's with the longest replies in
a topic they do not believe in. They are the ones that make personal attacks on someones character and intelligence because they choose too keep their feet firmly in the acceptable realms of there own perceptions, and never would accept anything from  outside  these boundaries.
And that UMers , is what makes this site fantastic,
especially for us fence sitters.It makes for good comedic relief in a disturbingly deteriorating world.

#19    xFelix

xFelix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

• Yea I'm Pagan, oh no!

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

View PostSakari, on 01 June 2013 - 12:56 AM, said:

**1) You are correct, when people think their " opinions " are fact. That is what I said.

And you also pointed out they **2)continue to mock and be condescending. **3)I have been accused of this, when no quotes could be supported of me doing that. That is what I mean. Some people can not handle a discussion, even a " heated " one, without taking things personal, and trying to read in feelings and tone into replies. ( yes, some are out right obvious ).

I can show you a **4)ton of examples of people getting offended, for no reason other then people asking them questions, or asking for evidence, or links and facts. It is just dumb.

These people are **5)not being offended, they are taking offense because people do not believe them on their opinion, and try to discuss it.

View PostSakari, on 01 June 2013 - 01:35 AM, said:

I have people take something from me, say " **6)Demons do not exist " and exagerate that to " **7)the paranormal does not exist "........

Pretty broad jump  there :)

I have taken the freedom of bolding some quotes of your last two posts, but we both know you are smart enough to understand what you are doing. We both also know that you are doing this intentionally, and that it is not the first time.

1) Didn't you claim that demons do not exist and you have facts to prove such?
2) I will touch more of this a bit later.
3) Same as above.
4) While it is true that people may get offended seemingly for no reason, it is quite uncommon. For every example you can demonstrate of this occurring I will demonstrate 3 of them actually being disrespected.
5) The same as 4 applies, most people do not get offended by disbelief but by disrespect towards their beliefs.
6) Same as number one.
7) See numbers two and three? Where you said people accuse you of being condescending or mocking them and no quotes of such can be demonstrated? Here is your demonstration, this is not your first sneaky wordplay shot at me either.

Note: Nobody said it was just you, it is many people who have adapted this whole mentality of "Someone posted their experience, it's time to go mock them".

Edited by xFelix, 01 June 2013 - 04:05 AM.

My posts consist of my opinions, beliefs, and experiences, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner.

I have a right to my beleifs, just as you have a right to not agree with them.

So long as we respect each other's beliefs, we won't have a single problem.

#20    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 8,302 posts

• I'd rather laugh than argue.

Choose your weapon.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:36 AM

View PostBeany, on 01 June 2013 - 03:05 AM, said:

I think we're starting to lose the art of civil discourse in our society. Look at someone like Rush Limbaugh, who still is extremely popular with some folks. He and some others have taught us that it's OK and even desirable to use pejoratives for those who disagree with us, to cut people off in mid-sentence who aren't true believers. I saw it during the last 2 election cycles, and in my own family. Those of us who are Democrats & liberals were called all kinds of names, denigrated, mocked, and subjected to rants that were full of inaccuracies. And the people who felt perfectly free to post or say whatever they wanted got really p***ed when they got a response they didn't like. Part of it is just plain bad manners, some of it is due to adopting a poor role model, ignorance plays a role, as does confirmation bias and immaturity.

We used to be able to agree to disagree, now we just call each other names and identify ourselves and others by our differences instead of our commonality. The US has become extremely polarized, and that them vs us attitude hurts everyone in the long run. But, people do like to be right, and some people will insist on being right no matter what price they have to pay. In the long run, they end up hurting themselves.

Hey, Beany,

The first part, I agree with everything you said. The second part was steeped too much in US politics. The third part you said, I agree with again.

I owe you 2/3rd's of a 'like'. :)

- Likely Guy

#21    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:42 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 01 June 2013 - 03:36 AM, said:

I owe you 2/3rd's of a 'like'.
a 'lik'?
(i know that technically that's 3/4 of a like, but I can't split the 'k'. or maybe I could do a bit of inventive cheating and make it 'lic'....?)
:-)

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#22    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,271 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:46 AM

Ok, not directing this at anyone...

But hey, second page in, things are sure to shred soon... So just chill... Don't get mad folks. Don't provoke, don't get all arg...

Let's just nicely chat about why people get mad instead :)

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#23    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 5,505 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:49 AM

I want to complain about these people, too. In some of my discussions, my adversary, I mean who I'm discussing or debating with will choose to reply to my easiest point to contend with. Parts of my replies that they might have difficulty challenging they ignore. And some are so smug. They dismiss my posts as though my point of view is so obviously incorrect as to be inconsequential.

xFelix said:

Note: Nobody said it was just you, it is many people who have adapted this whole mentality of "Someone posted their experience, it's time to go mock them".

I can understand someone getting offended when a poster tries to make that person look foolish, so I think it cuts both ways. A type A person takes offense when his/her opinion is challenged, a type B person takes offense when he/she feels mocked, so he/she retaliates.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#24    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 8,302 posts

• I'd rather laugh than argue.

Choose your weapon.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:51 AM

View Postshrooma, on 01 June 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

a 'lik'?
(i know that technically that's 3/4 of a like, but I can't split the 'k'. or maybe I could do a bit of inventive cheating and make it 'lic'....?)

The Welsh have an answer but it's 27 letters long. :)

#25    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:57 AM

welsh is an odd language! because it's ancient, they don't have words for modern things, so you'll hear odd words like 'video' or 'telephone' mixed in with it, but, the welsh word for 'microwave' has got to be the
b-e-s-t
word
EVER!!
(it's a 'popty-ping!')

Edited by shrooma, 01 June 2013 - 04:04 AM.

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#26    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,508 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:59 AM

LOL Sakari is a bit snotty at times in what he states and askes for. I think because he and I think that with out proof or evidience the cycle repeates itself. Many topics here have been discused 20 times over. I think he might need to move on to subjects that are new to him.  If people want to believe in this stuff so be it.

Sakari your just baiting as you know as do many of us

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#27    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:01 AM

View Postrashore, on 01 June 2013 - 03:46 AM, said:

second page in, things are sure to shred soon... So just chill...

i'm glad it wasn't just me who spotted the irony of getting mad on a page entitled 'why do people get mad' rashore!

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#28    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,449 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:03 AM

View PostxFelix, on 01 June 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

I have taken the freedom of bolding some quotes of your last two posts, but we both know you are smart enough to understand what you are doing. We both also know that you are doing this intentionally, and that it is not the first time.

1) Didn't you claim that demons do not exist and you have facts to prove such?
2) I will touch more of this a bit later.
3) Same as above.
4) While it is true that people may get offended seemingly for no reason, it is quite uncommon. For every example you can demonstrate of this occurring I will demonstrate 3 of them actually being disrespected.
5) The same as 4 applies, most people do not get offended by disbelief but by disrespect towards their beliefs.
6) Same as number one.
7) See numbers two and three? Where you said people accuse of you being condescending or mocking them and no quotes of such can be demonstrated? Here is your demonstration, this is not your first sneaky wordplay shot at me either.

I am having a hard time trying to see what any of this has to do with the topic?

I also see you seem to be reading into things as I mentioned people do.

You are trying to make what you want out of my wording, interesting.

Sometimes I feel I need to put a disclaimer under some of my posts for some. This is what I am talking about.

It appears you are getting upset over a topic about why do people get upset.

One reason I know of, sorry, I feel is true. It depends whom the person is leaving the reply.

I assure you I am not being condescending towards you, I am just having a discussion. You can take that however you would like. That is all I can really do at this point.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#29    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,449 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:04 AM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 01 June 2013 - 03:59 AM, said:

LOL Sakari is a bit snotty at times in what he states and askes for. I think because he and I think that with out proof or evidience the cycle repeates itself. Many topics here have been discused 20 times over. I think he might need to move on to subjects that are new to him.  If people want to believe in this stuff so be it.

Sakari your just baiting as you know as do many of us

No, I am just curious as to what answers I would get....:)

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#30    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,570 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:11 AM

They probably feel their beliefs and judgement is being questioned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users