Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Other side of a mirror

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:03 AM

Could it be that the other side of the mirror is a parallel universe ? Is there any well documented scientific experiments which show that the light/photons from this universe really bounce back when it hit the mirror ? How can we be sure that the light which let us too see doesn't come from the other side of the parallel universe.

#2    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,047 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:35 AM

I used to wonder about this when I was a kid. Another thing is, when we look at our reflection in a mirror, the image is reversed. This can be explained by our scientists, but still it's like an alternate "you" is staring back.

As the amount of energy in the universe is stable, it cannot be added to or subtracted from, I don't think photons from an parallel universe would be allowed to enter our universe. However, if an equal number of photons from our universe enter a parallel universe as photons from that universe enter ours, I suppose the statis quo would be maintained.

It's seems odd that when I look at the back of a mirror, the back of the mirror is black. If we could look through the back of a mirror, what would we see?

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#3    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• 1,368 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:54 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 01 June 2013 - 12:35 AM, said:

It's seems odd that when I look at the back of a mirror, the back of the mirror is black. If we could look through the back of a mirror, what would we see?
If it's a 2-side mirror, seeing its back is the same as seeing its front

View PostStarMountainKid, on 01 June 2013 - 12:35 AM, said:

As the amount of energy in the universe is stable, it cannot be added to or subtracted from
In this case, it's neither a destruction or a creation, it's a matter of shifting from one world to another world.

Edited by FlyingAngel, 01 June 2013 - 01:00 AM.

#4    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:08 AM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 01 June 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

Could it be that the other side of the mirror is a parallel universe ? Is there any well documented scientific experiments which show that the light/photons from this universe really bounce back when it hit the mirror ? How can we be sure that the light which let us too see doesn't come from the other side of the parallel universe.

Lets suppose you have a magic box. Its magic because its walls have been constructed in such a way as to stop all information leaking from the outside world to the inside and vice versa. If a machine rolls a dice in that box then each of its six outcomes co-exist. Its only when information is gained on the dice (by opening the lid and looking in) that those six outcomes collapse leaving one.

The multiple outcomes of a probability are what extra dimensions/parallel universes are.

However they only exist when something really is behaving as a probability (you have no information directly or indirectly on it). The reason why atoms behave quantum mechanically is because they're so small and leak so little information that they really are behaving as a probability under most circumstances.

Just for fun I'll point out scientists havent investigated if trance states induce quantum mechanical behaviour in objects. During trance your mind blocks off information from whatever you arent focused on. Its also not been determined if an object, sat in a drawer, inside someones house, on the other side of town leaks so little information to you (because of the barriers in the way) that it behaves quantum mechanically.

If either are true then I have a pretty good idea of how to make witchcraft work, or to give it a more scientific name, quantum teleportation lol

#5    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,047 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:37 AM

Giant Killer B, would a dice or an object in a drawer, as they exist on a much larger scale than the quantum scale, behave as you say they do? And. if we have this box in our universe, wouldn't five other boxes need to exist in these parallel universes? What if only one person in a parallel universe opens up the box? What if five people open up their boxes? The number on the dice in the sixth box would not be determined by a quantum probability, its number would already have been determined beforehand.

Would this be an example of quantum entanglement or quantum determinism?

FlyingAngel, Hmm...a two-sided mirror...I think both sides would reflect a parallel universe if this were in fact what's going on.

What I was thinking of was, if we could look through the back of a one-sided mirror, would we see the person looking at the mirror and his reflection looking back at him, reversed? Just a thought experiment. Maybe this is what someone in a parallel universe would see.

#6    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,040 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:13 AM

To me, this makes no sense whatsover.

What could a mirror possibly have anything to do with a "parallel universe"?

And the back of a mirror is "black" only because it's the second coating used to block-out light. The first coating(closest to the glass) is a reflective coating.

#7    SpiritWalker7

SpiritWalker7

Seeker

• 2,811 posts

• "When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:29 AM

I'd love to be the character in my mirror.
Always so headlong with a prominent smirk. Patient eyes and calm features with a depth to a soul.
Oh, wait.

Ugh, I can't win in any situation.

#8    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:36 AM

Infinity mirrors, oh noes.

#9    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• 1,940 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:08 AM

I don't like mirrors they creep me out.and I also don't like pictures either its like they can see your soul .
There is not many pictures of me in my older years

#10    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• 1,368 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

View Postpallidin, on 01 June 2013 - 03:13 AM, said:

To me, this makes no sense whatsover.

What could a mirror possibly have anything to do with a "parallel universe"?

And the back of a mirror is "black" only because it's the second coating used to block-out light. The first coating(closest to the glass) is a reflective coating.
That's what I want to find out. How could we prove that reflections in the world are really light bouncing back after hitting a surface and not just go straight and coming from the other side? Or we just see the the other side is exactly the same and we pretend that the light is bouncing back?

#11    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,040 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 01 June 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

That's what I want to find out. How could we prove that reflections in the world are really light bouncing back after hitting a surface and not just go straight and coming from the other side? Or we just see the the other side is exactly the same and we pretend that the light is bouncing back?

Allow me to in to introduce you to the site: www.physicsforums.com

They will completely answer your question, if you register(free)

#12    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,676 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

View Postcoolguy, on 01 June 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

I also don't like pictures either its like they can see your soul .

...Oh dear....

#13    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 01 June 2013 - 01:37 AM, said:

Giant Killer B, would a dice or an object in a drawer, as they exist on a much larger scale than the quantum scale, behave as you say they do? And. if we have this box in our universe, wouldn't five other boxes need to exist in these parallel universes? What if only one person in a parallel universe opens up the box? What if five people open up their boxes? The number on the dice in the sixth box would not be determined by a quantum probability, its number would already have been determined beforehand.

Would this be an example of quantum entanglement or quantum determinism?

FlyingAngel, Hmm...a two-sided mirror...I think both sides would reflect a parallel universe if this were in fact what's going on.

What I was thinking of was, if we could look through the back of a one-sided mirror, would we see the person looking at the mirror and his reflection looking back at him, reversed? Just a thought experiment. Maybe this is what someone in a parallel universe would see.

Its not the size of an object that determines if it behaves quantum mechanically its if information leaked from it is reaching you. However because larger objects leak more information its rare, under normal circumstances, that a macroscopic object sat before you will behave quantum mechanically. In physics information and heat energy are the same thing. So to make a macroscopic object behave quantum mechanically they have to cool it down to near absolute zero or find some other way of preventing heat leaked from it reaching you.

To answer your question about the magic box only one of them exists. Its the contents inside that are behaving as a real probability and therefore quantum mechanically. If an observer opens its lid then information leaks out into the universe. An observer receiving this information sees one outcome not the weird state of all outcomes co-existing at the same time (this is because gaining information on a probability collapses the probability).

If such information is prevented from reaching another observer then they could come along for their turn, open the lid, and stand a 5/6 chance of seeing a different outcome for the dice. Thats called a schrodinger cat paradox and means reality is unique to the information being gained by each individual. Or in more simple terms pretend everyone is sat in a virtual reality booth like in the film the Matrix experiencing their own version of reality.

Quantum Entanglement is when you have a real probability that links two or more objects (we'll take two and call them A and B ). If you measure the probability at A you also collapse it for B because its a single probability linking both objects. The outcome of the probability at A then determines the outcome of the probability at B. This is done faster than the speed of light regardless of distance between the two objects and is called quantum teleportation.

Photons are normally waves not particles and a wave is the same thing as a real probability. There isnt a parallel universe behind the mirror but the photon itself is in the weird state of multiple co-existing outcomes. All energy behaves like that under normal circumstances.

It sounds like you're trying to figure out how to access different dimensions but unfortunately you dont reach them through a mirror. Probabilities are best thought of as a little part of the multiverse and you may well be able to select the probabilities outcome. The experiments havent been done so I'm speculating below -

Engineer - He walks down the street and perceives his version of reality around him
Doctor - She walks down the street and perceieves a completely different reality because shes aware of different information.
Suicider - This unfortunate soul walks down the street and pereives their own reality too because they're only aware of negative information.
Trancer - The person in a trance has a closed down reality (tunnel vision) where they receive limited information.

What you perceive when you look out of your eyes determines how the little part of the multiverse collapses. Awareness of different information, by managing your own perceptions, collapses it in a different way.

Edited by Giant Killer B, 01 June 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#14    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,047 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

Giant Killer B, I understand what you're saying and agree with you. I was thinking along these lines: Let's say the dice has six wave function collapse probabilities for the dice in the box. When we open the box one probability becomes manifest and we see one number. If the other five probabilities have manifested in five other parallel universes, each person in those universes will see a different number on their dice.

If this actually happens, and if those five people in parallel universes open their boxes before we do, there is only one probability left for us. But, the number on the dice we observe when we open the box is not a probability, it is a certainty.

So in this case, the wave function collapse we observe is not due to quantum uncertainty. The Schrodinger cat paradox does not exist for us. If somehow we "knew" what numbers occur on the dice in these other five parallel universes, we could predict what the number on our dice would be before we opened our box.

It's just a thought experiment, who knows if parallel universes exist in this way, or that when a wave function collapses (if it really does) all the probabilities we do not observe manifest in these other universes.

I also don't believe mirrors are "leaks", as Kurt Vonnegut calls them, into other universes. But, hey, who am I to say they are not? Mirrors are creepy in a way. When I turn my back to a mirror and turn my head to look at it, the guy in the mirror is turning his head to look at me. If that's not spooky, I don't know what is.

#15    Red Howler

Red Howler

Angry werewolf girl

• 1,668 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

Do you just mean mirrors or anything that reflects? A natural mirror is water.

The light comes from the sun and I really believe that the sun's light rays can enter other dimesions and realities.

I don't believe the mirror shows a paralell world though. It can act as a scrying tool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users