Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Will hoverboards be a reality by 2015 ?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,704 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Would this be road tax exempt?
Can`t wait to see the road rage from this one. They think they have the right on the road, NO the car has the rights, NO the cyclists have the right, NO, the lorries do....NO, its the taxi`s.
Would love to see this, but only with proper training and not anywhere near  the busy streets.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#17    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,793 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

Did you guys read the link?   this particular 'hover board'  would be powered and propelled by  MACHINE GUNS  underneath! lol You'd get what?  20,000,000 rounds per mile?     * i'd have had her home earlier sir..  but we ran out of ammo . . .

I'd love to see air hover boards  .. or better yet anti gravity ..er some sort...   but can't see it happening by 2015?

Edited by lightly, 02 June 2013 - 05:45 PM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#18    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,529 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

Looky what seeders found for you... another REAL working hoverboard that YOU CAN RIDE ON.... albeit you need a superconducting track

Video: Supercooled Quantum Levitating Hoverboard Lets Students Glide on Air

quote:  "You probably saw that super viral quantum locking levitation video that bounced all over the Web last week (though technically it’s been around since summer) in which a team of researchers plays with some liquid nitrogen, a small superconducting disc, and some strange quantum phenomenon that makes the disc hover above a magnet, no strings attached. This week’s levitation vid taps a similar phenomenon known as the Meisnner effect to achieve this kind of levitation at a decidedly cooler scale: that of the hoverboard".

As I said, the tech is totally do-able, but there isnt a need

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#19    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

View Postseeder, on 02 June 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

As I said, the tech is totally do-able

I wouldn't say that.

A hoverboard that requires an on-board cooling system to operate that can levitate a person half an inch from a track made from expensive rare-earth magnets is neat, but not really practical.

A hoverboard that can go anywhere isn't really feasible unless someone can invent an efficient type of antigravity - which I am certain won't happen in the next 20 years (and probably won't happen at all).

#20    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,529 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

View Postsepulchrave, on 02 June 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

I wouldn't say that.

A hoverboard that requires an on-board cooling system to operate that can levitate a person half an inch from a track made from expensive rare-earth magnets is neat, but not really practical.

A hoverboard that can go anywhere isn't really feasible unless someone can invent an efficient type of antigravity - which I am certain won't happen in the next 20 years (and probably won't happen at all).

The one I posted before that needs no cooling system or didnt you watch it? And its identical in design to the fictional one.  sheesh theres no pleasing some is there?

remember we are talking about a fictional concept to start with! I also doubt we will ever see the Bruce Willis flying cabs/cars either!

One more vid

Back to the Future's Hoverboard in Real Life? - Fact or Fictional w/ Veronica Belmont

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#21    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

View Postseeder, on 02 June 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

The one I posted before that needs no cooling system or didnt you watch it? And its identical in design to the fictional one.  sheesh theres no pleasing some is there?

You posted 4 things... but yes I know what you are talking about.

That hoverboard uses alternating magnetic fields and a laser stabilizing system. You can't levitate one permanent magnet off of another without some kind of physical confinement (which obviously limits your motion), so you need to have part (in both the artwork and your most recent post this part is in the ``ground'', not the board) that dynamically alters the magnetic fields to keep the object levitating.

The floors need to be very strong electromagnets to hover a person, and more than one board coming close to each other might create some problems.

Frankly, I am not sure it would even be healthy for a person to be near the kind of magnetic fields that would be necessary for levitating a board and a person 15 cm or so.

Just to reiterate my point, a Marty McFly style hoverboard (can go anywhere, levitates 15 cm or so off the ground, the levitation effect doesn't influence objects near or under it) cannot be realized with current technology. That device would require some sort of antigravity to work.

#22    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

• aaaah rabble rabble rabble rabble

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:50 PM

View PostSundew, on 02 June 2013 - 12:39 AM, said:

At my age, I'm thinking break bones.....

That's where the Tony Stark Glove Blasters come into it :P

why is everyone so &^%$ing concerned with "the end"...
new beginnings is what you should be concerned about...

#23    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,042 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

View Postlightly, on 02 June 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

Did you guys read the link?   this particular 'hover board'  would be powered and propelled by  MACHINE GUNS  underneath! lol You'd get what?  20,000,000 rounds per mile? * i'd have had her home earlier sir..  but we ran out of ammo . . .

I'd love to see air hover boards  .. or better yet anti gravity ..er some sort...   but can't see it happening by 2015?

LOL, everyone seems to have missed that bit.

You might have heard that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This is Newton's Third Law of Motion. If you fire a bullet in one direction, the recoil will push you in the opposite direction. But that's just one bullet.

Suppose you had a machine gun with lots of bullets, specifically the Russian Kalashnikov AK-47. It weighs 4.8 kg, but the recoil from the bullets is about 5.9 kg. If you factor in the hot gases thrown out and the explosive debris, the recoil increases to about 7.8 kg – almost twice the weight of the AK-47. It has a thrust to weight ratio of almost 2 to 1. So if you stood an AK-47 vertically with the barrel downwards, and pulled the trigger, it would rise into the air – until it ran out of bullets.

So this Russian GSh-6-30 gun would easily make a hoverboard barrel along – but only for a while, at a very high price, and it would definitely not be a peaceful ride ...

I heard Dr Karl talking about this on JJJ, in fact this is a transcript of the very show I heard.

Edited by psyche101, 03 June 2013 - 08:13 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#24    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,912 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

View Postseeder, on 02 June 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

Eh? a board that hovers...isnt a hoverboard?   WHAT? so what do you want? Something you can stand on and zoom about the city? Get real, the concept has been proven in that vid, but its totally unlikely any city will be adapted for the sake of skateboarders, who are a total minority

so think about that...then realize that while its totally do-able... there is absolutely no need  :tu:

its a dream for fatties, who'd be much better off having a walk in the first place

Come on Seeder, you know what I meant (the smilie was there to help you out)...

If you made a hover car that hit the ground when someone sat it in then it would hardly be a hover car would it? IMO the same applies to a hover board.

And as for the dreams of fatties who are better of having to walk in the first place, well the same can be said of skateboards, roller skates, scooters and even bicycles. Fact of the matter is these (and hover boards) need human power to move and can actually help people lose weight, and hey they might even have some fun too.  ;)

View Postseeder, on 02 June 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

As I said, the tech is totally do-able, but there isnt a need

The tech is there for skateboards but hey what's the need, the tech is there for roller skates, but heck what's the need, I could go on...

The 'tech' behind a hover board could give us a great many uses, in fact moving heavy objects supported by air is already done (not that I think air jets are the way to do this). And once the 'tech' becomes cheap enough and compact enough why not stick it in a skateboard that hovers?

But as of now, the examples we see fall well short...

Edited by Junior Chubb, 03 June 2013 - 10:20 AM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#25    Adam frm manchester uk

Adam frm manchester uk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

• Its nice to be nice it does not cost a thing !

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

since I was a child and first saw back to the future 2 I thought magnet technology would be the way forward in making a working hoverboard.
Maybe have a hoverboard rink like an ice rink or a roller disco with a magnet floor and polar opposite magnets on the hoverboard.
There would just be the issue of safety as if the board flipped and trapped someone or a body part between the hoverboard and the magnetized floor !

#26    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,529 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostAdam frm manchester uk, on 10 June 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

since I was a child and first saw back to the future 2 I thought magnet technology would be the way forward in making a working hoverboard.
Maybe have a hoverboard rink like an ice rink or a roller disco with a magnet floor and polar opposite magnets on the hoverboard.
There would just be the issue of safety as if the board flipped and trapped someone or a body part between the hoverboard and the magnetized floor !

You just gave me an idea, what about those steel floors they have in the dodgem rides?  They seem to be halfway there and they have the electric thing on the roof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users