Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Is There Such Things as Curses?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1    saucy

saucy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• Peter Piper picked a pack of pickled peppers.

Posted 16 October 2004 - 12:04 AM

This should be an interesting one on one debate on the subject of curses.  Do they exist?  Can one person actually put a curse on someone else that works?  Once I get two volunteers with which direction they perfer to swing, I'll write the debate rules.

#2    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 18 October 2004 - 06:25 PM

Everyone, this is not a forum for posting your opinions.
Dancing_Dumplings, Kryso, dazdillinjah and crystalmoon, i have deleted your posts. Unless you are interested in debating against an opponent one on one you are not to post your opinions, thanks.

Still waiting for two people to post their interest in the debate so it can get underway.

#3    TooFarGone

TooFarGone

Blissfully Chaotic

• 3,682 posts

• I am chaos at its finest

Posted 22 October 2004 - 12:42 AM

I'm interested.

Too / FarGone
TooFar_Gone
TooFa/ rGone
TooFarG_one
T_oo/FarGone
Too/Far_Gone
Too_Far_Gone

#4    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 22 October 2004 - 07:55 PM

Great! One more.

#5    CrunchTime

CrunchTime

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 02:39 AM

I'd be happy to participate

#6    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 10:59 PM

Crunch time, if you are serious and would like to continue this debate to the end, please state so. Thanks. original.gif

#7    CrunchTime

CrunchTime

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 11:59 AM

I am serious
and will follow the debate through until it's end

#8    saucy

saucy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• Peter Piper picked a pack of pickled peppers.

Posted 04 November 2004 - 09:09 PM

Okay, let's finally get this thing started.  Crunch time will debate that there are no curses and Jeremy will debate that there are.  IN this debate, you have to start off with an introduction post, followed by three body posts and sum everything up with a conclusion.  Have fun!

#9    TooFarGone

TooFarGone

Blissfully Chaotic

• 3,682 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 10:19 PM

Ok

I believe there are curses. Looking back throughout history we see amny cases in which people have been uder some sort of curse.Many of these are in different cultures, that had no knowledge of the other. I think that this fact alone presents a very strong case for the existence of curses.

Too / FarGone
TooFar_Gone
TooFa/ rGone
TooFarG_one
T_oo/FarGone
Too/Far_Gone
Too_Far_Gone

#10    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:25 PM

CrunchTime, you will be disqualified unless we get your introductroy post within the week.

#11    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:33 PM

Mrs.Kahalioumi i have deleted your post. No, you are not allowed to post in the debates, only the people who have signed up for them.
Look for an open debate to participate in if you'd like to debate, but please do not interupt the debates in progress.

[edit] Crunchtime has been disqualified from the debate.
Since Mr. Rumbolt has already posted his intro, we're looking for one more debater to participate. original.gif

Edited by BurnSide, 16 November 2004 - 06:59 PM.

#12    DarkAngelh22eh

DarkAngelh22eh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 02:53 AM

I would be interested in debating against cures, can i join? I know the rules. grin2.gif

Whatever you have in your mind - forget it;
Whatever you have in your hand - give it;
Whatever is to be your fate - face it!
                   Abu Sa'id (Essential Sufism)

A human being is part of a whole, called by us the “universe,” a part limited in time and space.  He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separate from the rest — a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.  This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few people near us.  Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.             Albert Einstein

#13    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:01 PM

DarkAngelh22eh, you're in. original.gif

Mr. Rumbolt has already posted his introductory post, so now it's your turn to post your introduction.

You are debating the fact that there are no such things as curses. State your sources, no flaming, and remember that you are being marked on countering, style, relevance and persuasivness.

One intro post each, three body posts each and one conclusion each. ANy further questions, feel free to PM me. thumbsup.gif

#14    DarkAngelh22eh

DarkAngelh22eh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:30 AM

To wish a curse upon someone is impossible. All through history are stories of curses. And with these stories are the stories of overcoming the curse.
People have taken Madame pele’s rocks from Hawaii and nothing has happen, but supposedly there is a curse placed upon any one who takes a rock. Just a story to keep visitors from steal the rocks.
The bambino Curse is another example, I know that the red sox’s sucked and then got better. There was no curse and no lift from the curse.
  Therefore this show that curse's are a hoax. An act intended to deceive or trick.
Something that has been established or accepted by fraudulent means.(webster)

Hope i did the intro right, first one, so help me if i am wrong, or break the rules

Whatever you have in your mind - forget it;
Whatever you have in your hand - give it;
Whatever is to be your fate - face it!
                   Abu Sa'id (Essential Sufism)

A human being is part of a whole, called by us the “universe,” a part limited in time and space.  He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separate from the rest — a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.  This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few people near us.  Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.             Albert Einstein

#15    TooFarGone

TooFarGone

Blissfully Chaotic

• 3,682 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:22 PM

People have taken Madame pele’s rocks from Hawaii and nothing has happen, but supposedly there is a curse placed upon any one who takes a rock. Just a story to keep visitors from steal the rocks.

Yes, many curses are made up for purpuses such as these. But what about the Voodoo? There have been multiple accounts of a VooDoo curse being placed on a person in order to cause harm.Many of these have ended in death and tragedy.

Therefore this show that curse's are a hoax. An act intended to deceive or trick.
Something that has been established or accepted by fraudulent means.

Once again, this just shows that many times, buisnesses or other groups use "curses" as a way to scare people. These accounts alone are by no means justification to dismiss all curses.

To bring up another curse, the curse of King Tuts tomb. Many things happened in this incident. Various deaths, sickness and other event, including Cairo losing power at the time of death of one of the archeologists. Too many things happened to be a coincidence. Therefore, this is solid proff of an existing curse.

Too / FarGone
TooFar_Gone
TooFa/ rGone
TooFarG_one
T_oo/FarGone
Too/Far_Gone
Too_Far_Gone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users