Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

Favorite Historical Mystery

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#16    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 6,447 posts

• I might have been born yesterday
    but, I stayed up all night.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:56 AM

Roanoke, Virginia's been a favourite. Though there's been 'some' headway made.

#17    Gabby56

Gabby56

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:57 AM

my favourite mystery is the Mayans, why did they wipe themselves out? and why would they predict the end of the world when it didn't actually happen? food for thought..

#18    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 9,120 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"
    God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:02 AM

View PostGabby56, on 03 June 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

my favourite mystery is the Mayans, why did they wipe themselves out? and why would they predict the end of the world when it didn't actually happen? food for thought..

Posted Image

the new prophecy for 2013 ....

Posted Image

start planning for the businesses and make it big .... diaper shortage anyone ?

~

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#19    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 6,447 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:04 AM

View PostGabby56, on 03 June 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

Well, the Mayans didn't 'wipe themselves out' and they never 'predicted the end of the world'. :)

#20    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 6,447 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:11 AM

Addendum: Yes, Oreo's are 'food for thought' (with milk of course).

I almost forgot about Sir John Franklin's 1845 expedition. That's a mystery I'd like solved in my lifetime.

#21    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,535 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:18 AM

Other than a few mentioned already I would add, Just exactly were the "Bell Beaker People"?... Were they a homogenous group (i.e. one language, one "race", one society) or were they simply a bunch of independent pre-Bronze age peoples who just happened to like the same style of pottery...

#22    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 9,161 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:35 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 03 June 2013 - 12:56 AM, said:

Roanoke, Virginia's been a favourite. Though there's been 'some' headway made.

Yes, there has, if by "some headway" you mean that there's been a centuries-long consensus amongst professionial historians that most were killed by the local Native American tribes and a few survived with other tribes. Anyone who tells you any different is looking to sell you something.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#23    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 9,161 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:39 AM

View PostTaun, on 03 June 2013 - 02:18 AM, said:

Other than a few mentioned already I would add, Just exactly were the "Bell Beaker People"?... Were they a homogenous group (i.e. one language, one "race", one society) or were they simply a bunch of independent pre-Bronze age peoples who just happened to like the same style of pottery...

I read something not too long ago that suggested they might be single-language(ish) society, one of the splinters of the Indo-European migration that becaus the proto-Celtic speakers.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#24    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,634 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:04 AM

View Postthe L, on 02 June 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

Its created after Europeans set foot on Island. Probably because those toothless natives start loosing oralist due their own stupidity and because they were being taken as slaves so to preserve their tradition they invented it.

I bet there is nothing ancient behind their script exept some Polynesian Brothers Grimm,
It's origin is believed to go back to almost the 13th century. Any record of Europeans in the Pacific at that time?

It was invented spontaneously on the island, but by whom and for what reason is a mystery.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#25    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,634 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:09 AM

View Postthe L, on 02 June 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

Whats mysterious about it? Did they have 1000 tons blocks or...
Duh... How it was built is unknown. It was built in a bay using volcanic "logs" that weighed tons, by people who did not have many tools, but probably had time and ropes. Still, it is a fantastic place.

Why does a mysterious place have to built out of 1000 ton blocks?

No one mentioned the Voynich Manuscript yet....

My opinion... artwork.

Edited by DieChecker, 03 June 2013 - 04:09 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#26    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,688 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:44 AM

Hmmm, im hoping to find some mysteries I've never heard of from people that I can research. Only One I havent heard of so far was Nan Madol.

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#27    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 03 June 2013 - 01:04 AM, said:

Well, the Mayans didn't 'wipe themselves out' and they never 'predicted the end of the world'. :)

Maya civilization collapsed but you are right Mayans survived but in a transformed shape. They live where their ancestors lived. So in a sense this girl is right since we dont know why they collapsed. There ara only suggestions and they indicate that Mayans themselves caused their collapse.

View PostLucidElement, on 03 June 2013 - 04:44 AM, said:

Hmmm, im hoping to find some mysteries I've never heard of from people that I can research. Only One I havent heard of so far was Nan Madol.

And on rest you know answers so they are not interesting or....?

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#28    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 03 June 2013 - 04:04 AM, said:

It's origin is believed to go back to almost the 13th century. Any record of Europeans in the Pacific at that time?

It was invented spontaneously on the island, but by whom and for what reason is a mystery.

It was invented spontanously on island so there are no myteries there. For reason as any society invents script.
I think that we dont know right time when was invented,(?)

Who built Nan Madol?

Edited by the L, 03 June 2013 - 03:06 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#29    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

View Postthe L, on 03 June 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

Who built Nan Madol?

Please ignore this.

#30    Stoned Jackelope

Stoned Jackelope

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:08 AM

I find these mysteries interesting  1)  The Dyatlov Pass incident  2) The Oak Island Mystery  3) Tiwanaku in Bolivia  and 4) the Nuremberg incident in 1561.... :alien:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users