Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The man who needs to paralyse himself

bid sean oconnor limbs paraplegic paralysed

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,346 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

"I have attempted to break my back, but I missed. I need to be paraplegic, paralysed from the waist down."

Sean O'Connor is a very rational man. But he also tried, unsuccessfully, to sever his spine, and still feels a need to be paralysed.

Sean has body integrity identity disorder (BIID), which causes him to feel that his limbs just don't belong to his body.

http://www.newscient...se-himself.html

Posted Image

#2    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,288 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

I think this disorder is psychological.  it's almost like a phobic disorder.

Some people want to kill other people.  Does that mean that doctors have to give in to the patient's wishes?    People wish for all kinds of irrational things.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#3    Jessem

Jessem

Future Husband

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

• No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

I've seen a documentary on this on "taboo" I believe. A woman pretended to be paraplegic for years. She confronted her collegues at work, who all thought she really was, and told them about this same disorder as he claims to suffer from. Psychologists believe its this identity crises that comes from "sympothetic" and attention needing rational that came from someone in their life that really did endure this problem.

Edited by Jessem, 03 June 2013 - 01:53 PM.

The secret of life is'nt trying to figure out the secret, its about living it.

#4    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,288 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

Actually people with this disorder actually do maim themselves for life.   The question is why?  But I do think it may have to do with handicapped people being considered noble or something like that.    A secret desire for attention and sympathy.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#5    paperdyer

paperdyer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

He may be "a very rational man", but he's still nuts!  He needs to be put under observation for his own protection.  Maybe a shrink can convince him his limbs are his, otherwise why does he have them and if they aren't, how did he get them?

#6    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,134 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

Bruce Campbell should hit this guy over the head with a brick.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#7    bnnwbb

bnnwbb

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

I think a past life regression might uncover something the conscious mind has no memory of... If we only use 10% of our brain, does the other 90% contain soul memories, perhaps of past lives and lessons learned in those same lifetimes.  No one can prove or disprove it...

#8    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 03 June 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

I think this disorder is psychological.  it's almost like a phobic disorder.

Some people want to kill other people.  Does that mean that doctors have to give in to the patient's wishes? People wish for all kinds of irrational things.

It's  probably part physical disorder with the lobe of the brain, that the article mentioned but he sure does need help to deal with it!

I think of nerve damage of disease or injuries.  You can have surgery and a limb goes numb or has no feeling for years, it's clumbsy,  kind of like using stilts to walk , you know it's you but you don't feel it as part of "your" body....but it sure doesn't mean you want to cut it off!

Mental help needed for sure with these people.

I know when feeling starts to return to a nerve in a numb,  nerve damaged limb, nerves start to reconnect with the brain , it can be very very painful especially moving it before the normal feeling returns.  Some of these people might be caught in a painful state like that which doesn't go away for some reason.  

If that's the case I wonder if they could get help.  I have heard of pain clinics that severe  certain nerves to relieve pain but leave enough to have muscle control in some nasty diseases if there not any drugs that could help.

Edited by White Unicorn, 04 June 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#9    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:02 AM

This is kinda sad :(

#10    Lex540

Lex540

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

• I am unique and distinct

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

oo sorry

#11    dragon1440

dragon1440

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

Been a ghoster of um for quite awhile and actually feel like I need to post for once. I am a psych student, with abnormally psych being one of my main focus. Psych thearpy will never solve this problem totally. BIID, which I have written papers on, is most similiar to trangender. They know they are born one way but feel as if they were made different then what was supposed to be. MANY trans, which I have known plenty being a former drag queen, often kill themselves because they mitilate there body trying to become there right selfs. For instance their have been many cases of ftm, Female to male, cutting off their own breasts. While I am not  100 percent in agreement on limb removal should we not as a soceity help each other. BIID suffers feel like there body betrays them. We have finally started to accept and medically help transgender to help lower mortality rates. BIID suffers are going to hurt themselves without help, so we should consider both sides. If doctors dont at least take in to consideration the mental identity when deciding to amputee or paralyze then they are no better then the first doctors who dismissed transgender. Like I said I dont agree with romoval of limbs in every case I do understand it. These people are not happy with there lifes and I live in America were it is part of our legal system that we have the right to Thanks. freedom and pursuit of happiness.

#12    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,130 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

View Postbnnwbb, on 04 June 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

I think a past life regression might uncover something the conscious mind has no memory of... If we only use 10% of our brain, does the other 90% contain soul memories, perhaps of past lives and lessons learned in those same lifetimes.  No one can prove or disprove it...
I'm thinking you only use 10%.

#13    bnnwbb

bnnwbb

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

Rlyeh, you are entitled to your opinion, even if you are wrong :)

#14    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,130 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

View Postbnnwbb, on 06 June 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

Rlyeh, you are entitled to your opinion, even if you are wrong :)
I would be if I was the one perpetuating a myth.

http://faculty.washi...ler/tenper.html

Edited by Rlyeh, 07 June 2013 - 07:40 AM.

#15    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,562 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

couldn't hypnosis be of some value in these kind of cases?

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

Also tagged with bid, sean oconnor, limbs, paraplegic, paralysed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users