Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The man who needs to paralyse himself

bid sean oconnor limbs paraplegic paralysed

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,463 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

View Postbnnwbb, on 04 June 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

I think a past life regression might uncover something the conscious mind has no memory of... If we only use 10% of our brain, does the other 90% contain soul memories, perhaps of past lives and lessons learned in those same lifetimes.  No one can prove or disprove it...

Sorry, but I have learned more about the brain than I ever wanted to know.  We use all of for silly mundane things like breathing, digestion, walking, seeing, etc.  I have proof I have one too. I get an MRI every year, so I have pictures.

I don't understand them, being in a wheelchair is super inconvenient, I have first hand experience. I hope I never have to go through that again.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#17    trish1997

trish1997

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostJessem, on 03 June 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

I've seen a documentary on this on "taboo" I believe. A woman pretended to be paraplegic for years. She confronted her collegues at work, who all thought she really was, and told them about this same disorder as he claims to suffer from. Psychologists believe its this identity crises that comes from "sympothetic" and attention needing rational that came from someone in their life that really did endure this problem.

Yeah I saw her too.. What a idiot

#18    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,319 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

It almost reminds me of Munchausen syndrome, except that they literally give themselves a disability instead of just faking it.   An extreme version of this.
http://en.wikipedia....hausen_syndrome

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#19    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 12,478 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 07 June 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

I would be if I was the one perpetuating a myth.

http://faculty.washi...ler/tenper.html
Sorry got to jump in on this one... The statement is really about how much you are concious of... Indeed all of the brain is being used but you are only concious of a small fraction of what is going on... Probably less than 10%. This is the context of what people mean when they are saying this. Indeed if we were conciousnes and in control of much more of our subconscious we would be capable of tremendous things. Anyway that's a better answer than google educated parroting :D dont you think?

Edited by Seeker79, 15 June 2013 - 02:07 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#20    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,591 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 15 June 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

Sorry got to jump in on this one... The statement is really about how much you are concious of... Indeed all of the brain is being used but you are only concious of a small fraction of what is going on... Probably less than 10%. This is the context of what people mean when they are saying this. Indeed if we were conciousnes and in control of much more of our subconscious we would be capable of tremendous things. Anyway that's a better answer than google educated parroting :D dont you think?
Why would someone be conscious of non-conscious brain functions? You obviously haven't thought out your answer very well.

A better answer would be one that is right ;)

Edited by Rlyeh, 16 June 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#21    Black Red Devil

Black Red Devil

Mean as Hell

• 2,573 posts

• I would if I could
    But I can't, so I won't

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:36 AM

I bet there aren't any insurance companies offering this guy a policy.

We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell

- Oscar Wilde

#22    Cryptid_Control

Cryptid_Control

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

• “When the snows falls and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.”

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

Wow I didn't know this was an actually disorder but I kind of have episodes of this. I mean I wouldn't go sever my spine because of it but every once in a while I'll get this really uncomfortable feeling where I'm like hyper aware of my body and limbs and it's just terrible, I feel like they shouldn't be there or something. But it doesn't happen too often and only for like a minute then the feeling goes away.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Also tagged with bid, sean oconnor, limbs, paraplegic, paralysed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users