Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Tame starling returns to visit pensioner

jack moran starling chicks pensioner

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,080 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

When kind-hearted pensioner Jack Moran nursed an injured starling back to health, he released it in his back garden and thought nothing more of his good deed.

But a year on and the migratory bird has returned to his home in Liverpool - bringing its mate and a clutch of chicks with it.

The bird and its young now eat right out of Mr Moran's hand in a display of trust that is highly unusual for the species.

http://www.dailymail...family-too.html

Posted Image

#2    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,476 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

What a nice story.    

We have house sparrows  that return each year and build nests above our windows and higher trims, and in a portion of the eave that is exposed.
I hung a small step ladder on the back of the house for them to nest on this year.       Mother and nest is doing fine.. there should be babies any day now.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#3    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,080 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

We've got starlings and sparrows nest building but I'm not sure where. We see them in the front garden collecting bits and then flying off.

A friend of ours found a bird nesting in the pocket of a pair of jeans he'd got hanging on the clothes line. Awww....I thought that was the cutest thing ever! I've never heard of that before. I know birds can nest in some odd places but not in the pocket of a pair of jeans :D

Posted Image

#4    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,476 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

lol ...  that is unusual!      I love to watch birds gather  'stuff'  for nests.     On a bike ride   'convenience'  stop    we noticed a chickadee go into a woodpecker hole in the underside of a leaning dead tree with nest building stuff.   A week or so later we checked the  hole   and there was a baby chickadee head peering out at us !    It was waiting for mom  to bring 'dinner'. :)

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#5    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:23 AM

I have a Robin, a couple of blue tits and a finch that come looking for me when I am in the wood across from my house. I take them food and they know when I am near, The Robin was the first to pluck up the courage to eventually eat from my hand, after a few months of just following me but now his crew are eating from my hands.

Posted Image

#6    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,080 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

We've got a pair of pigeons nesting in a tree in the garden. It seems to be a favourite place for them as it's not the first time. One year I quietly stood under the tree and looked up to see the nest, the mother was sitting on it looking back at me with her beady eye as if to say "what are you looking at" :D  Sad though that year we had a storm which damaged the nest and later found half an egg shell on the ground.

Another year inside the house we could hear something moving about and thought it was seagulls walking on the roof, as we get a lot of those. Then every so often we could hear this "cheep cheep" noise and realised the noise was coming from inside the attic. So my husband opened the attic door and "cheeped" back and it "cheeped" back at him, then he went up to investigate and found a baby starling. The poor thing was terrified so my husband managed to grab hold of it gently and put it inside a box downstairs in the hall and covered the top with a cloth so it wouldn't be so scared and that did quieten it down.

Next we had to think what to do with it and so I phoned the RSPCA for some advice and they said it would be ok as the mother was probably looking for it and said to put it outside in the garden in a safe place, behind a bush or something and its mother would hear it calling and come and get it.. So that's what we did and right enough soon afterwards we could see a few starlings around the garden and when we went out to look later on the baby starling had gone.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users