Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mermaid Maniac !

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1    Spore

Spore

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 175 posts

• Divine Abyss

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

I saw many of the comments in the other mermaid thread. Of course not everyone is going to agree on their existence. Its almost like a clash of the believers and sceptics. I must admit, I did get a strange infatuation toward them. Out of all of the videos, this one was the most captivating. The main reason why I started this thread was mainly because i'm focused on the artwork and the reality that there are some animals that are kind of like spinoffs of the our race and can adapt to other environments. I say spinoffs, meaning very closely related to us (like apes), although I don't believe we evolved from any animals and I think we are evolutionarily distinct.  

*snip*

Edited by Saru, 05 June 2013 - 12:20 PM.
Removed copyrighted video and images

#2    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

Nope, not into mer-people.

#3    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,520 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

I think there a cool concept, not as cool as some of the other creatures from legends and myths

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#4    danbell06

danbell06

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

• BNAG.... < That's Bang out of order!

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

That video is as fake as donald trumps hair. Good cinematography and editing. It was to do with the mermaid found programme. It's not something you would really want to see on a factual network like AP though imo.

Edited by danbell06, 04 June 2013 - 06:01 PM.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Posted Image

#5    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,520 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

View Postdanbell06, on 04 June 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

That video is as fake as donald trumps hair. Good cinematography and editing. It was to do with the mermaid found programme. It's not something you would really want to see on a factual network like AP though imo.
LMAO I thought donald trumps hair was actually real it just looks really fake

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#6    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,013 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

Darn, I was actually hoping for a decent video and not more of the Animal Planet crap.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#7    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,824 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:32 AM

Almost like a clash between believers and skeptics? That is indeed exactly what it is is it not?

With the Art, personally, I prefer the classic interpretations. Such as this.

Posted Image

Edited by psyche101, 05 June 2013 - 12:32 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#8    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,824 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

Posted Image

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#9    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Spectating

• 4,729 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

View Postdanbell06, on 04 June 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 04 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

LMAO I thought donald trumps hair was actually real it just looks really fake

Yup, I thought the Trumpsters hair was real, its just a master class in the comb over and comb forward to cover up the barren areas...

As for Mermaids...
  • Women who live by/on the sea who earn a living/survive by diving great depths for long periods of time, they exist and are fascinating.
  • Half woman/half fish creatures secretly living in our seas, come on get a life. Do you really believe this?
  • Finding images and stories of these creatures fascinating, alluring or even erotic. Good on you, enjoy your hobby. ;)

Edited to add an opinion on Mermaids as well as Donald Trumps hair.

Edited by Junior Chubb, 05 June 2013 - 11:16 AM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#10    skytwister

skytwister

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

I actually just yesterday watched the whole mockumentary on AP (if anyone wants to check it out - https://www.youtube....h?v=Cm3XdC-p8_I) and thought it was fun that they used a really well known mythological creature as example of new species to illustrate how we are damaging the oceans. I mean, that's mostly how I read the whole thing, though you never know when people have gone crazy.
I was really into mermaids when I was younger but I blame the really good books I had around to read. The aquatic ape theory isn't the wildest thing out there but I just don't think it's feasible that we wouldn't know if mermaids actually existed. Oh well, whatever.

Edited by skytwister, 05 June 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#11    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 6,960 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

My wife has been watching that new mermaids show on T.V. and I just can't get into it. The whole thing sounds fishy to me. :whistle:

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#12    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Spectating

• 4,729 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 05 June 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

My wife has been watching that new mermaids show on T.V. and I just can't get into it. The whole thing sounds fishy to me. :whistle:

I only liked your post Biff as this is the worst joke I have seen you post on UM and it made me feel better about my standard of humour...  ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb, 05 June 2013 - 12:11 PM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#13    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 6,960 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 05 June 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

I only liked your post Biff as this is the worst joke I have seen you post on UM and it made me feel better about my standard of humour...  ;)
Well, I can't be a master comic all the time you know. :tu:

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#14    Spore

Spore

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 175 posts

• Divine Abyss

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 05 June 2013 - 12:32 AM, said:

Almost like a clash between believers and skeptics? That is indeed exactly what it is is it not?

With the Art, personally, I prefer the classic interpretations. Such as this.

Posted Image
The only thing is... that art has no accuracy. IF THEY ARE REAL, they would not look like that. THIS WOULD COME MUCH CLOSER Posted Image

#15    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Spectating

• 4,729 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostSpore, on 05 June 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

The only thing is... that art has no accuracy. IF THEY ARE REAL, they would not look like that. THIS WOULD COME MUCH CLOSER

Can you argue the look of a mythical creature?

But I do see your thinking Spore, looks more aquatic and one creature (rather than a mix of two). Rather than closer to what they would look like I would say this is just a more modern take on a classic image or maybe me and Psyche are just older than you ;)

Your image reminded me of the Zora from the Zelda games...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users