Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How much longer will the Abrahamic

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: How much longer will Abrahamic faiths hold the majority in the west? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

How long will the Abrahamic faiths keep a majority in the west?

1. 100 yrs (8 votes [38.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

2. 500 yrs (2 votes [9.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

3. forever (5 votes [23.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

4. Other explain (6 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,540 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

I think by the end of the century the Abrahamic faiths (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) will fall to a minority in the west and be replaced by a secular spirituality.

Edited by Darkwind, 07 June 2013 - 11:49 AM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#2    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,700 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

Such a thing would drive some believers over the edge, enough think the end times are already going to take place in their life times..

#3    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,535 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

Heck, I'd be content if said Abrahamic faiths would just agree to stop trying to kill one another.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#4    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,420 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

I am reminded of a quote from a game I played.

"Empires rise and fall, but evil is eternal".

"Whenever we read the obscene stories with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we called it the word of the devil, than the word of God."

Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like unto god
The epitome of evil

#5    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 10,540 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

Nailed it,  Wing.  :hmm:

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#6    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,633 posts
  • Location:This new war has taken a toll on families, my part is coming to a close on this front, leaving soon on a mayday.

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

15 to 25 years but would not put it in terms of "falling to a minority" but instead coexisting with other paths including secularism and not necessarily spiritual secularism.

As is most within the Abrahamic faiths are not spiritual now and neither is any majority of our population. Has there ever been a population where spirituality dominates? Even ancient societies reserved such roles to shamans.

What is going to diminish is competition and wanting to see others fall.

What will increase is cooperation and wanting to see others thrive.

Science including psychology will help many more as we proceed forward would be my forecast.

#7    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 4,033 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

To me the 'best case scenario' is that they fade away completely and the faster the better. However, more likely is that they'll change and adapt. They'll shed the more poisonous parts of themselves away because they realise what they look lie if they don't.

Either that or they refuse to accept that and decide to take us all down in their pathetic notion of an apocalypse.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
We'll just keep on trying till we run out of cake
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#8    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,300 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

I voted 100 years, but that is not to say that I think Christianity will be a minority view.  You see, I have a somewhat interesting theory.  It's a fact that Christianity is dwindling in the West.  It's also fact that Eastern faiths such as Buddhism are becoming more popular here in the West.  However, look to the East - China, Vietnam, that kind of thing, and you'll see Christianity expanding at phenomenal rates.  I once did some research into specific numbers, but off the top of my head I can't recall them.  Though I do recall that at current times, Christianity makes up for approximately 9.5% of the population of China.  And this is a massive increase to even a few years ago, when the percentage was much lower.

My theory is that in a few generations, religious beliefs in the East and the West are going to swap.  Buddhism and other Eastern faiths (and/or modern spirituality, which often parallels such Eastern philosophies anyway) will dominate the West, while Christianity is going to dominate the Eastern world.  It would be interesting to see in 50 or 60 years how much of this comes true.  How much Christianity spreads in the East, overtaking traditional Eastern philosophies, and how much Buddhism and other spiritual paths overtake Christianity in the West.

Of course, since I see Christianity rising in the East to compensate for its loss in the West, I'm not going to chalk this up to a sign of the End Times.  But as said, it would be interesting to peer into the future a century from now and see how accurate I may or may not be.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#9    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

I didn't vote because I don't know....

All I know is - Fighting over faith will never end............... For some reason I now have the theme music to T2 Judgement day going through my head.. Daa daa dun da dun... Daa daa dun da dun !!

OR South Park have nailed it and Atheists will take over the world  lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 07 June 2013 - 07:37 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#10    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 10,540 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

Religion is just away for our corporate overlords to get the masses fight and die for their installed corrupt greed driven governments, so they can drink scotch in their safe beach front home.  Some of them live right here SW Florida.

#11    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:51 AM

When the Ragnarök strikes, the Abrahamic religions will finally loose their grip upon the west and the people will realize the errors in their ways :yes:

#12    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,618 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:24 AM

Mmmmmm probably not 500, but close. 3-4 Mabey. The problem of course is that the smartest versions will adjust themselves and live on.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#13    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,618 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:27 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 07 June 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

I didn't vote because I don't know....

All I know is - Fighting over faith will never end............... For some reason I now have the theme music to T2 Judgement day going through my head.. Daa daa dun da dun... Daa daa dun da dun !!

OR South Park have nailed it and Atheists will take over the world  lol
Indeed. Abrahamic faiths especially Christians are Apocolyotic in nature. I have often wondered if they accurately predicted their own. Denise but the the Demise of the world.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#14    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,322 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:29 AM

religion means money so hmmmm lets tax churches and see how many of these goof bals make no money

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#15    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,300 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:31 AM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 08 June 2013 - 04:29 AM, said:

religion means money so hmmmm lets tax churches and see how many of these goof bals make no money
Start taxing churches and you may as well start taxing charity organisations (considering many charities are run by church organisations).  Do you really want to go down that route?  Also consider that most churches don't actually get that much money.  Small and medium sized churches rarely break even after all their expenses are covered.  Only the "mega churches" could absorb the effect of tax, and while I don't want to be discriminatory against ALL mega churches, it's often the churches with 10,000 members who have a pastor who wears Armani suits and Rolex watches.  Compare that to a church with 40 regular members, the preacher can't afford anything but jeans and a T-shirt.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users