Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Sun Emits an M5.9 Solar Flare

sun solar flare

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

www.nasa.gov said:

The sun emitted a mid-level solar flare, peaking at 6:49 p.m. on June 7, 2013. Solar flares are powerful bursts of radiation. Harmful radiation from a flare cannot pass through Earth's atmosphere to physically affect humans on the ground, however -- when intense enough -- they can disturb the atmosphere in the layer where communications signals travel. This disrupts the radio signals for as long as the flare is ongoing, anywhere from minutes to hours.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 09 June 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

I assume that this flare was earth-bound due to the R2 rating. I've noticed from other reported CME phemonena that sometimes the mass ejection can be directed towards Mercury for example. I wonder why this wasn't explicitly mentioned in the NASA article?

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostRingFenceTheCity, on 10 June 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

I assume that this flare was earth-bound due to the R2 rating.
The rating has nothing to do with whether they are Earth pointing or not, it just denotes the intensity of the flare.

View PostRingFenceTheCity, on 10 June 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

I've noticed from other reported CME phemonena that sometimes the mass ejection can be directed towards Mercury for example. I wonder why this wasn't explicitly mentioned in the NASA article?  
Why should it be?

Most flares are not pointed at any planet. NASA tend to mention if it is pointed at Earth, a planet or towards operational space probes. As they did not mention any of these things it is likely that none of them were affected by this particular flare.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users