Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Soy Sauce Overdose Sends Teen Into Coma

ozman

A 19-year-old survived a dangerous sodium overdose after drinking more than a quart of soy sauce on a dare, according to a case study in the Journal of Emergency Medicine.

After drinking a quart of the sodium-heavy condiment, the teenager slipped into coma with seizure-like activity. He was rushed to the hospital, where doctors determined he was suffering from hypernatremia, a metabolic condition in which there is a salt imbalance in the bodily fluids.

Eventually doctors determined that he had ingested 160 to 170 grams of sodium from the soy sauce, a potentially lethal dose for his weight and build. He had effectively overdosed on sodium.

“He didn’t respond to any of the stimuli that we gave him,” Dr. David J. Carlberg, who treated the patient as an emergency room physician at University of Virginia Medical Center, told LiveScience.“He had some clonus, which is just elevated reflexes. It’s a sign that basically the nervous system wasn’t working very well.”

Edited by ozman
  • Like 3

Glad he's doing better, but that was incredibly stupid. Soy sauce has tons of sodium and MSG in it, which is why I use an imitation of it called Amino Acids that I get at a health food store. You can't tell the difference, and it's MUCH better for you.

• Like 5

While I like soy sauce in some dishes I don't see how he stood the taste. Glad he is doing better.

I don't think some people realize just how much sodium is in it.

Kowalski I might try that if I can find it here.

• Like 1

I ate an entire package of lemon-lime Lucas(lemon flavored salt pretty much) on a dare once. I ground two of my lower teeth relatively flat as a teenager by then and eating that much acidity at once that I couldn't eat any food that was larger than my incisors for 3 days.

• Like 1

While I like soy sauce in some dishes I don't see how he stood the taste. Glad he is doing better.

I don't think some people realize just how much sodium is in it.

Kowalski I might try that if I can find it here.

Here's a website explaining what it is: http://bragg.com/products/la.html

I like it much better than soy sauce. So much healthier, too.

• Like 2

Here's a website explaining what it is: http://bragg.com/products/la.html

I like it much better than soy sauce. So much healthier, too.

Thanks for the link. If a recipe calls for soy it usually doesn't call for salt, would this be used the same way. Edited by Hilander
  • Like 1

real soy as traditional soy ... and is not the chemically 'enhanced' for longer shelf life ... I believe the brand Yeo's is available in most western markets

259-324-large.jpg

link

there are many types of soy for various type of cooking ... from light to syrupy ... from salty to light and sweet ... Yeo's is a safe bet and reliable

but the chinese chefs likes the proper old china/hong kong/taiwan brands .... something cottage industry for the authentic taste but it is not that necessary for the western palate

~

• Like 2

Glad he's doing better, but that was incredibly stupid. Soy sauce has tons of sodium and MSG in it, which is why I use an imitation of it called Amino Acids that I get at a health food store. You can't tell the difference, and it's MUCH better for you.

It may be stupid but my guess is he had no idea he could O.D. on soy sauce.

• Like 2

real soy as traditional soy ... and is not the chemically 'enhanced' for longer shelf life ... I believe the brand Yeo's is available in most western markets

259-324-large.jpg

link

there are many types of soy for various type of cooking ... from light to syrupy ... from salty to light and sweet ... Yeo's is a safe bet and reliable

but the chinese chefs likes the proper old china/hong kong/taiwan brands .... something cottage industry for the authentic taste but it is not that necessary for the western palate

~

The most popular where I'm from is Kikkoman.

• Like 2

The most popular where I'm from is Kikkoman.

Yeah ... that's the high end stuff ... :lol:

I love those too but for cooking it does tend to overpower the naturalness of a dish ... depends on what I am cooking I guess ... :tu:

~

It may be stupid but my guess is he had no idea he could O.D. on soy sauce.

Hell, I didn't even know you can OD on soy sauce.

I love those too but for cooking it does tend to overpower the naturalness of a dish ... depends on what I am cooking I guess ... :tu:

~

I always mix soy sauce into my hamburger mix when making patties for the grill. It's pretty good in my homemade chicken marinades as well.

• Like 3

How could anyone even stand the onslaught of such a salty thing?

I mean, I like salty stuff but drinking soy sauce? That would kill off my taste buds for the next several years.

But then again when I was little I would eat a bouillon cube, or at least half of it, because i craved the salt so much so I guess I can understand...sort of.

As a side-note it would be nice to find a soy sauce that is authentic and hasn't been altered to appeal to western tastes.

This is my beef with most Chinese and Japanese restaurants here in the U.S...it has been so modified and altered that it no longer resembles the real thing.

• Like 3

But then again when I was little I would eat a bouillon cube, or at least half of it, because i craved the salt so much so I guess I can understand...sort of.

LOL - I thought I was the only one that did that. I still LOVE salt and crave it all the time. Fortunately, my blood pressure is just fine even with the amount of salty foods that I eat.

LOL - I thought I was the only one that did that. I still LOVE salt and crave it all the time. Fortunately, my blood pressure is just fine even with the amount of salty foods that I eat.

You're lucky. My husband has high blood pressure, and we have to watch the salt intake. Which is why I use Braggs.

• Like 1

Some people will do anything for a dare without thinking or realising how dangerous they can be.

In this case it's possible he didn't know it could be so harmful as it does sound unusual. I'm thinking perhaps if the soy sauce had been consumed on or with food instead of just being drank, it might not have affected him the same.

.... I'm thinking perhaps if the soy sauce had been consumed on or with food instead of just being drank, it might not have affected him the same.

With a quarter pound of wassabi and a few dozen sushi rolls perhaps?

• Like 2

~snip

I always mix soy sauce into my hamburger mix when making patties for the grill. It's pretty good in my homemade chicken marinades as well.

I'll share a little secret my kitchen master taught me ... soy over heat or heated metal alters its consistency ... next time try adding the soy 'after' its about to be ready ... take off the heat ... add the soy ... let sit for a minute ... then serve ...

the difference is 'braise' and 'steam'

It takes a bit of experience to tell the difference but when you 'know' it ... you won't want it any other way .... :lol:

~

• Like 3

I'll share a little secret my kitchen master taught me ... soy over heat or heated metal alters its consistency ... next time try adding the soy 'after' its about to be ready ... take off the heat ... add the soy ... let sit for a minute ... then serve ...

the difference is 'braise' and 'steam'

It takes a bit of experience to tell the difference but when you 'know' it ... you won't want it any other way .... :lol:

~

Thanks for the info! I was unaware of that. :tu:

• Like 1

With a quarter pound of wassabi and a few dozen sushi rolls perhaps?

Some food would have soaked up the soy sauce and perhaps reduced its potency. So even if he was ill afterwards, he might not have gone into a coma.

• Like 1

Yup this could have killed him.i bet he don't try this again