Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 5 votes

Edward Snowden NSA whistleblower

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#166    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:46 PM

View Postpallidin, on 17 June 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

Get real, Kowalski.  The only thing China will do, besides "petting" him to give-up any more U.S. secrets(if he even has any), is to use him as a political "bargaining chip"

China hates traitors more than the U.S. They would not trust Snowden around a game console.

In all respects, Snowden is functionally "history"

While Snowden is a real American zero where no'ing is half the battle (versus knowing) we might have to hear about him for a while. Not only is he the new Jodi Arias who will receive plenty of press coverage, especially when we get our man in our courts, there also are more leaks he will spring during the interim.

Sadly some would rather he escape justice and stay on the run. The only thing that will stop him from visiting an American courtroom is if he first meets a Chinese torture cell.

Got to agree that he is history and has lost all credibility where it matters: the court of sensible public opinion.

Edited by The world needs you, 17 June 2013 - 10:51 PM.

#167    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

You know, now I'm starting to think, why in world should Snowden have done this...Why risk your life, on telling the public they are being spyed on by the government, when the sheep don't even care?
He obviously wasted his life for no reason. If you people don't care that everything you do is being recorded and monitered by our government there really is no hope for you. We are doomed as a country, if people really think like this. You want to live in a police state? What is wrong with you?
Don't you even care what type of country you will be bringing your children up in? Are you really that dense? I'm sorry, but I can't comprehend ya'lls thinking at all.
I honestly can't believe, someone has risked everything, to tell the public the truth about the type of c**** that our government is doing, and you guys are like "Oh Well..." That is sad.....

#168    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,282 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:00 PM

The best thing for Snowden, if I were him, would be to return to the United States with legal counsel.

He is thus at least somewhat protected, and can make his case in U.S. Federal court.

Where he is at now is a total "no-win" situation for him. Trust me, China hates traitors from anywhere. They will just "play" with him.

#169    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,282 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

View PostKowalski, on 17 June 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

You know, now I'm starting to think, why in world should Snowden have done this...Why risk your life, on telling the public they are being spyed on by the government, when the sheep don't even care?
He obviously wasted his life for no reason. If you people don't care that everything you do is being recorded and monitered by our government there really is no hope for you. We are doomed as a country, if people really think like this. You want to live in a police state? What is wrong with you?
Don't you even care what type of country you will be bringing your children up in? Are you really that dense? I'm sorry, but I can't comprehend ya'lls thinking at all.
I honestly can't believe, someone has risked everything, to tell the public the truth about the type of c**** that our government is doing, and you guys are like "Oh Well..." That is sad.....

You really go for the "spin" !!!!!

In any event, no, most of us are not paranoid, and actually respect at least having a government.

You do vote, I hope?

Edited by pallidin, 17 June 2013 - 11:13 PM.

#170    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,282 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:22 PM

Hey, this is a funny story...

In my younger years I was at a bar, quite drunk, and spouting-out some weird political stuff.

Well, what I did not know was that there was a biker sitting to my right. Minding his own business.

He said to me, and I'll never forget, "I bet you don't vote" He was right.

No violence, no nothing, but from that point-on I decided to actually vote and have done so since that day.

#171    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,609 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:29 PM

Snowden claimed he voted for a third-party candidate in the 2008 election. Wonder who it was. Ron Paul was not an official third-party candidate in 2008.

#172    Kowalski

Kowalski

• 4,102 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

Voted for Ron Paul in the last two elections.
Don't like what I say? Kiss my rear. Here's a hint: I don't care what you think!

#173    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,282 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:42 PM

View PostKowalski, on 17 June 2013 - 11:35 PM, said:

Voted for Ron Paul in the last two elections.
Don't like what I say? Kiss my rear. Here's a hint: I don't care what you think!

Calm down, girlfriend. As long as you vote(or have voted) I DO care what you say.
Your opinion is extremely valued, and I'm not pumping smoke.

For myself, I may not agree, and you may not agree on my opinions, but, we can talk.

All is good.

#174    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,282 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:50 PM

And don't call me "girlfriend"  :w00t:

Edited by pallidin, 17 June 2013 - 11:50 PM.

#175    Kowalski

Kowalski

• 4,102 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:00 AM

View Postpallidin, on 17 June 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

Calm down, girlfriend. As long as you vote(or have voted) I DO care what you say.
Your opinion is extremely valued, and I'm not pumping smoke.

For myself, I may not agree, and you may not agree on my opinions, but, we can talk.

All is good.

That's cool. Not mad at all. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on things. If I never argued with somebody, Life would be completely boring, that's for sure... :)

#176    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,499 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:31 AM

I love it when dolphins and penguins get along. There's hope for the rest of us. I exclude the two part system. I don't see that getting better any time soon.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#177    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,095 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:21 AM

So, every phone call we make, every e-mail, every web page we visit is recorded somewhere. I'm wondering what the next step is in government surveillance of its citizens?

In George Orwell's novel "1984", everyone's television is also a video camera, recording what everyone says in the 'privacy' of their own home. In the workplace, everything one does is also carefully recorded.

Everyone must also be careful who they talk to face to face, as anyone may be a government informant. In the novel all this is done for national security reasons.

I think if Mr. Snowden is not extradited back to the U.S.A., eventually he will be taken out by the CIA or one of its minions.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#178    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,282 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:27 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 18 June 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

I love it when dolphins and penguins get along. There's hope for the rest of us. I exclude the two part system. I don't see that getting better any time soon.

Rather touching, isn't it?

#179    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,609 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:46 AM

A few journalists are already questioning Snowden’s motivation for the leaks, as these new stories seem to have little to do with Snowden’s initial claims for why he went public, to protect America’s democracy:

Just as questionable is the timing of the leak. The day before President Obama meets with Russian President Putin in Northern Ireland, Snowden leaks a document showing that the US spied on Russia’s then-President Medvedev. So at worst he’s intentionally helping Putin, and at best he’s woefully ignorant of the real damage he’s causing US national security on the eve of a key summit with a nasty man running a far-more dangerous country than our own.

I went back and read Glenn’s initial story about Snowden – the story in which he revealed Snowden’s name (with Snowden’s permission). And something bothers me about what Snowden told Glenn:

*snip*

“I carefully evaluated every single document I disclosed to ensure that each was legitimately in the public interest,” he said. “There are all sorts of documents that would have made a big impact that I didn’t turn over, because harming people isn’t my goal. Transparency is.”

*snip*

How does revealing that the US spied on Russia further “the public interest” of anyone other than Vladimir Putin?

Remember, Snowden chose to work at the CIA and the NSA – our top two spy agencies. He knew quite well what he was getting into. And the notion that the United States spies on Russia, or that Britain spies on foreign summit delegates, is hardly earth-shattering “oh my god I have to leak this” news. Having said that, evidence of such spying is not usually publicly confirmed either. Nor was it terribly helpful (for us - it was quite helpful for the Russians) for Snowden to detail the manner in which the Brits spied on foreign delegates.

*snip*

I can perhaps accept Snowden’s sincerity for leaking the news that Verizon was providing all of its customer calling data to the NSA, and the details of the PRISM program. But with these additional revelations about the US, Britain, Russia and the Commonwealth, Snowden moves beyond his initial claim of blowing the whistle on the threat the surveillance state poses to the democracy he loves. Our democracy won’t suffer one bit from the US spying on Russia (it might even be helped), or the Brits spying on the Commonwealth.

Snowden’s hero status is starting to suffer from mission-creep. That is, unless Snowden is now trying to argue that domestic spying was not his main concern, but rather, he’s worried about the entire worldwide intelligence apparatus.

And if that’s the case, then Edward Snowden is sounding more and more like the man who joins the Army and then is shocked to find out he’s expected to kill people. Such a man is either crazy, a liar, or a flake.

Which one is Edward Snowden?

http://americablog.c...a-medvedev.html

#180    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,609 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:54 AM

A former U.S. Army Special Forces officer and terrorism expert says the disclosure of classified intelligence-gathering programs by a government contractor harms the effort to fight terrorism.

Steven Bucci, a retired Army Special Forces colonel, says American intelligence contractor Edward Snowden is no hero.

"I have a problem with people who swear an oath that they're not going to reveal top secret information and then do so," says Bucci. "So this guy is not a hero. He's a criminal."

*snip*

"I am totally not a fan of individuals deciding that they know better than all three branches of the U.S. government as to what's important and what should be released to the public and what shouldn't," says Bucci, who now serves as director of the Douglas and Sarah Allison Center for Foreign Policy Studies at The Heritage Foundation.

Because of Snowden's actions, Bucci believes it is going to be more difficult for the government to track terrorist suspects.

"Because they're going to be much more cautious in their communication," he explains.

"Another potential danger is that because of the backlash on this, because of the timing and the way it was released, our government may make a decision to back way off on these programs, maybe even stop doing them altogether."

Bucci says if that happens, the United States will be considerably less secure than it is with them in place.

http://www.onenewsno...rt#.Ub_YWBhZ4rZ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users