Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 5 votes

Edward Snowden NSA whistleblower

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#196    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 19 June 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

People who defend the criminal actions of government do so for a variety of reasons, I suppose.  As Colbert pointed out last week, they are scared silly.  They remain in a perpetual state of fear, seeing a "terrist" behind every tree and around every corner.

Also, I think they do this because they are not in the least familiar with, have never been trained in, constitutional law and principles.

And they actually believe that the government can save them from anything, and they believe in the beneficent nature of government.  Statists and authoritarians, might be the best words to describe them.

I like what George Washington said about government:

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

Edited by Kowalski, 19 June 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#197    No Censorship

No Censorship

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:16 AM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 19 June 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

People who defend the criminal actions of government do so for a variety of reasons, I suppose.  As Colbert pointed out last week, they are scared silly.  They remain in a perpetual state of fear, seeing a "terrist" behind every tree and around every corner.

Also, I think they do this because they are not in the least familiar with, have never been trained in, constitutional law and principles.

And they actually believe that the government can save them from anything, and they believe in the beneficent nature of government.  Statists and authoritarians, might be the best words to describe them.

You have to be extremely gullible and ignorant to buy the official government line on all things. Such people must be blind by choice. That's not to say that some conspiracy theories aren't complete nonsense. It's to say that one would have to be asleep to discount *all* of them.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#198    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 20 June 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

You have to be extremely gullible and ignorant to buy the official government line on all things. Such people must be blind by choice. That's not to say that some conspiracy theories aren't complete nonsense. It's to say that one would have to be asleep to discount *all* of them.

I think some people are 'blind' because of cognitive dissonance, and my theory is that such a condition is somehow genetic, and thus completely INvoluntary.  They cannot help themselves.  I say that because I have 2 brothers so afflicted.  The mere idea that the world (government) is not quite as they see it absolutely frightens them.

#199    No Censorship

No Censorship

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:38 AM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 20 June 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

I think some people are 'blind' because of cognitive dissonance, and my theory is that such a condition is somehow genetic, and thus completely INvoluntary.  They cannot help themselves.  I say that because I have 2 brothers so afflicted.  The mere idea that the world (government) is not quite as they see it absolutely frightens them.

They also think that all skeptics share the same backgrounds and beliefs. They turn them into caricatures so that they will deal with just the straw-men, but not the relevancy of the information. It's easy to put all conspiracy theories (or confirmed historical facts, in more extreme cases) in the same "those people" box so that you can reflexively dismiss all disconcerting claims without giving a fair hearing to any of them. In this worldview, Operation Northwoods is placed in the same box with David Icke.

#200    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,100 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:48 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 20 June 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

What you say is a truism so true it is glib.  It is also applicable to the opposite view people often have, of never buying the generally accepted view.

#201    No Censorship

No Censorship

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:06 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 21 June 2013 - 02:48 AM, said:

What you say is a truism so true it is glib.  It is also applicable to the opposite view people often have, of never buying the generally accepted view.

The key word is "true". The Founding Fathers don't want a flock of unquestioning sheep shunning watchdogs warning of wolves.

#202    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 21 June 2013 - 02:38 AM, said:

They also think that all skeptics share the same backgrounds and beliefs. They turn them into caricatures so that they will deal with just the straw-men, but not the relevancy of the information. It's easy to put all conspiracy theories (or confirmed historical facts, in more extreme cases) in the same "those people" box so that you can reflexively dismiss all disconcerting claims without giving a fair hearing to any of them. In this worldview, Operation Northwoods is placed in the same box with David Icke.

Too true! :tu:

#203    Ashotep

Ashotep

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,126 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:02 AM

Snowden has been charged with espionage.  The US plans on seeking extradition from Hong Kong.  Wonder how long it will take the US to get him or he ends up dead.

http://www.huffingto..._n_3480984.html

I have to admit I'm not too crazy about the fact he told China what we were doing there.  They hack us all the time.  Am glad the domestic spying in out in the open.  Unfortunately I have my doubts it will change anything.

#204    pallidin

pallidin

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,913 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:30 AM

Yeah, and I guess some Icelandic business man has offered one of his planes in Hong Kong to spirit Snowden away to Iceland and apply for asylum.

To my knowledge, Snowden has not replied. But who knows.

#205    preacherman76

preacherman76

Seeker

• 11,626 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:36 AM

View PostHilander, on 22 June 2013 - 01:02 AM, said:

Snowden has been charged with espionage.  The US plans on seeking extradition from Hong Kong.  Wonder how long it will take the US to get him or he ends up dead.

I have to admit I'm not too crazy about the fact he told China what we were doing there.  They hack us all the time.  Am glad the domestic spying in out in the open.  Unfortunately I have my doubts it will change anything.

I know how you feel. What a horrible reality to face. They are either gonna put a bullet in this guys head, or throw him in a hole for the rest of his life. Yet the people he exposed, for no less then treason, nothing. We are done.

Edited by preacherman76, 22 June 2013 - 01:38 AM.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#206    No Censorship

No Censorship

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:12 AM

View PostHilander, on 22 June 2013 - 01:02 AM, said:

I have no real opinion on the messenger. I'm just glad that his message reached us. That said, like you, I don't like his activities and comments about our operations against other countries. It might be hard to find any real good guys in this scenario.

#207    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,644 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

For his birthday yesterday Snowden was given a special gift: he was charged with espionage.

On Friday, former NSA contractor Edward Snowden was formally charged by the United States government with espionage, theft, and conversion of government property in a sealed criminal complaint in the Eastern District Court of Virginia. According to the Washington Post citing anonymous sources, the United States has also asked Hong Kong to detain Snowden on a “provisional arrest warrant.”

US charges Snowden with espionage, asks Hong Kong to arrest him Meanwhile, Icelandic supporters stand ready to fly him to the north Atlantic.

Bobby Fischer was granted citizenship by the Icelandic legislature and lived there until his death. The same could apply here although the charges are a bit more serious.

#208    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,100 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

I feel he is an unfortunate victim of his own foolishness, as is everyone who becomes a traitor.

#209    preacherman76

preacherman76

Seeker

• 11,626 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

"And they shall call what is good, evil. and what is evil, good."

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#210    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,644 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

View Postpreacherman76, on 22 June 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

"And they shall call what is good, evil. and what is evil, good."

Does the Bible mention anything about being paranoid? Or role-playing a level 72 shadowmage every time you login online?

He is deeply worried about being spied on. He lines the door of his hotel room with pillows to prevent eavesdropping. He puts a large red hood over his head and laptop when entering his passwords to prevent any hidden cameras from detecting them.

http://www.guardian....er-surveillance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users