Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Philanthropy or mis-anthropy?


  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    pantodragon

pantodragon

    Remote Viewer

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined:28 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:On vacation in Beetleguese

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

Money talks.

If you walked past a very plain, grey, drably dressed, bespectacled man of average height in the street, you probably wouldn’t look twice at him.  But when that man has nearly $70 billion rattling around in his pocket, when that man is Bill Gates, all of a sudden people sit up and take notice.  They worship the ground that he walks on; their obsequiousness knows no bounds.

Bill Gates was on the radio this morning advertising his new business venture: philanthropy.  He has nearly $70 billion of “his” money to give away.  Did I hear that right?  Did he say “HIS” money????  No, actually, it’s not “his” money.  It is, in fact, MY money and it is YOUR money he’s so “generously” giving away --- earning himself a nice little reputation for doing so, to boot.

I mean, where on earth do you think his fortune came from?  The super-wealthy, these rags to riches business people, didn’t make their fortune by giving money away.  The dead giveaway was when Bill Gates’ name was mentioned alongside other famous “philanthropists” such as Henry Ford --- yes, you heard right, Henry Ford, he of the “keep the workers hungry” mission statement.  I mean, are you so naïve as to think fortunes are made by paying workers fair wages?  Are you so naïve as to suppose these colossal fortunes are made by fair means rather than foul, by charging a fair price for the goods sold, by NOT ripping folk off, by ensuring the highest quality of product?  The business of business is to lie and cheat and steal from folks (i.e. rip off you and me, make the workers sweat blood for low pay) every day, so,  keep the workers hungry, sell poor quality products and keep the profits as high as you can get away with.  That is how fortunes are made.

Bill Gates is also remembered admiringly for his a-computer-in-every-home vision.  And what could be wrong with that?  Actually, there’s EVERYTHING wrong with that.  Gates’ “vision” is far from benign --- it’s no more benign than the alien in Ridley Scott’s film “Alien” had benign intentions towards the crew of the Nostromo.  A computer in every home is about making people dependent on computer technology.  And once the world is dependent on computer technology, people like Gates’ are laughing all the way to the bank.  And aside from all that, what the hell business is it of Gates’ to decide for you and me what it is we are going to have in our homes?  It’s NONE of his business.  And to go around MAKING it his business speaks volumes about the man’s ill-intentions.

As to the psychological impact of having these monsters in every living room: do you really think Gates cares two hoots about that?  First, there’s the psychological damage induced by dependency.  That’s seriously bad news.  Then there’s the psychological damage done by using this technology --- and here’s a hint for all you dummies out there: sensory deprivation --- and that’s just for starters.

Gates’ new job is that of philanthropist.  It’s promotion for him.  He’s hob-knobbing with royalty and the like, that he didn’t when he was still a businessman.  He has a vast amount of OUR money that he wants to give away.  He, of course, NOT you and me, decides where our money is going to go.

And if Gates thinks that throwing money at the world’s problems is going to make things better, then he’s got another think coming --- but then, he does have a vested interest in thinking that money is the solution, because he’s got a lot of it and his world status is growing by giving it all away so very, very publicly.

(If a poor man gave his entire wealth, say £1, away to “good causes”, no one would bat an eyelid, even though it was his entire wealth.  But when your entire wealth is $70 billion………….)

But money isn’t going to cure the world’s problems. In fact, money IS one of the world’s problems.  Throwing money at the world’s problems is only going to make them worse!

Money is a tool used by those in power to control and manipulate the rest of us.  In fact, the root of the world’s problems is that people have succumbed to an addiction to power.  Bill Gates, therefore, would do better to sort out his own addiction to power, cure himself of his addiction and its consequent psychological problems i.e. “doctor, heal thyself”, before supposing that he has any inkling of how to cure the rest of the world.  And, come to think of it, so would the rest of you.

Finally: listeners’ comments to the Gates’ interview included the predictable “isn’t technology a marvel”, “where would we be without technology” or “if it wasn’t for technology we wouldn’t be sitting at our computers e-mailing you” claptrap.  This brings to mind the film Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.  Eomer has been banned from Rohan --- his uncle, the king, is sick: his mind is in the control of power hungry Saruman, an ally of the Lord of the Ring of Power. When Eomer meets Aragorn for the first time, he tells him that his uncle “no longer recognises friend from foe”.  Exactly.  People’s minds are controlled by power.  Those listeners’ minds are controlled by power.  Your minds are controlled by power.  You have all lost the ability to recognise friend from foe.

But the worst of it is this: under guise of kindness and concern for one’s fellow human beings, philanthropists, and Bill Gates included, are, in fact, more akin to MIS-anthropists.  For what they are really doing is using the money they have robbed from other folk to bolster, maintain and strengthen the iniquitous system, the corrupt society that allows them to prosper.  In fact, though, to suppose they know what they are doing is to suppose them more self-aware than they are, more in control of themselves than they are, for it is the drug, it is power, that is in control of them.  They are merely the slaves of Sauron.


#2    spartan max2

spartan max2

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 3,167 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

  • People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

It is "his" money since we gave it to him when we brought his product.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#3    Beany

Beany

    Government Agent

  • 3,789 posts
  • Joined:26 Jul 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:California

  • If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:19 AM

Geez, Panto, the Gates Foundation is doing good work all over the world, and saving lives. Seems like pretty good use of a fortune to me, however it was acquired. Maybe you  need to ask the folks who are recipients of this generosity how they feel about it, because those are the people directed affected. However you or I feel about it, we are many layers removed from being personally affected by it. On second thought, I work for a non-profit that received a grant from the Gates Foundation. We needed the money and put it to good use, so we were very happy Bill decided to give some of his money to us.


#4    Arpee

Arpee

    .::The Spirit Gives Life::.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Heaven on Earth

  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." - Matthew 5:9

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:21 AM

View Postpantodragon, on 10 June 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

Bill Gates was on the radio this morning advertising his new business venture: philanthropy.  He has nearly $70 billion of “his” money to give away.  Did I hear that right?  Did he say “HIS” money????  No, actually, it’s not “his” money.  It is, in fact, MY money and it is YOUR money he’s so “generously” giving away --- earning himself a nice little reputation for doing so, to boot.

It is his money because the money was given to him in exchange for his products.

Money should be like a river, it comes and goes. If you hang on to it, then you may be causing a "drought" for others. If you give it all away and others are holding back, you may end up in a "drought".

(A "drought" being a mataphor for "lack of money" and "river" being a metaphor for "buying and selling - the flow of money")

View Postpantodragon, on 10 June 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

A computer in every home is about making people dependent on computer technology.  And once the world is dependent on computer technology, people like Gates’ are laughing all the way to the bank.  And aside from all that, what the hell business is it of Gates’ to decide for you and me what it is we are going to have in our homes?  It’s NONE of his business.  And to go around MAKING it his business speaks volumes about the man’s ill-intentions.

Before we were depending on computers, we were depending on schools and libraries. Now, we can go on the internet and hear many different points of view. We don't have to depend on paper and ink, we can store writing electronically and put them on the internet so they can be seen by many.

It is YOU who decides what you will have in your home. You have the freedom to buy it or not.

View Postpantodragon, on 10 June 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

And if Gates thinks that throwing money at the world’s problems is going to make things better, then he’s got another think coming --- but then, he does have a vested interest in thinking that money is the solution, because he’s got a lot of it and his world status is growing by giving it all away so very, very publicly.

It probably will not solve every problem but it's a start. If he gives that money away it can help people, if he doesn't then it will not help people. So, at least someone it being helped.


View Postpantodragon, on 10 June 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

(If a poor man gave his entire wealth, say £1, away to “good causes”, no one would bat an eyelid, even though it was his entire wealth.  But when your entire wealth is $70 billion………….)

Some people, at least the compassionate ones, will feel the love of how a poor man is willing to give his only £1 and they may even tell him to keep it, that they'll put their £1 in (again - I am talking about compassionate ones - ones who care).

View Postpantodragon, on 10 June 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

But money isn’t going to cure the world’s problems. In fact, money IS one of the world’s problems.

In my opinion, I think it is control and greed that is the cause of the world's problems.

If everybody was just loving and giving the money away to help others then things would be balanced (and there would probably be no need for money at that point because we'd just give to people to help them directly - food, clothes, etc.)

"But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil." - Luke 6:35

#5    Arbenol

Arbenol

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Joined:09 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:39 AM

Another irrational Pantorant. One day, one of them might make sense................ one day.

PS. You haven't answered my question in your weather thread.

PPS. Actually, that's probably for the best.

Edited by Arbenol68, 11 June 2013 - 06:41 AM.


#6    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,843 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Australia

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

Pantodragon, I don't know how it works in your illogical solipsistic world, but in the real world money represents economic value. People usually trade this medium for something else of value, whether it is a service or product.


#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 15,110 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

I guess that's a problem I wouldn't mind having -- people carping at me for being generous.


#8    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

    jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

  • Member
  • 3,644 posts
  • Joined:27 May 2011
  • Location:Leaving soon on a mayday so let it rain.

  • It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

How ironic it would be if this complaint (in the OP) was made using Windows software.

Is Apple's any better?

Better be from a Unix OS or something like that.

q:


#9    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,843 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Australia

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:06 PM




#10    pantodragon

pantodragon

    Remote Viewer

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined:28 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:On vacation in Beetleguese

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

To all:

Bill Gates’ character is given away when you see him dealing with his underlings: he is cruel and vicious and likes to humiliate.  It is usually referred to as “not suffering fools gladly”, but when I saw him on tv in a meeting with his employees, what I saw was someone high on power and exercising it by being cruel and vicious and by humiliating his employees publicly.  This is Bill Gates.  The man who is giving away billions is not compassionate; he is cruel, and vicious and high on power.  You think he is being kind with his money?  Think again.  There’s something going on BELOW the surface which has nothing to do with kindness but which has everything to do with power.  And where power rules, as with Bill gates and his kind, viciousness, cruelty, malice and the will to dominate others are always, only and ever the motivation for everything.   Whatever appearance may be presented, whatever public face may be worn, there is no such thing as compassion, kindness, fellow feeling, benevolence etc.  Where there is evil intent, there is never other than evil outcome.  So any APPARENT good, is no more than apparent.  If you were dealing with Sauron, you would treat every action with extreme suspicion.  If you could see that Sauron is a metaphor for Bill Gates and his ilk, you would see things more clearly and understand better.  To refuse to face this truth about our world is to support Sauron, to condone evil, to applaud cruelty, malice and the will to dominate all life.  To face the truth is the first step to destroying the One Ring, that metaphor for power, and to freeing the world from its evil influence.  So long as you support Sauron, he will dominate your mind such that you will not know that a better world is possible.


#11    pantodragon

pantodragon

    Remote Viewer

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined:28 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:On vacation in Beetleguese

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostThe world needs you, on 11 June 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

How ironic it would be if this complaint (in the OP) was made using Windows software.

Is Apple's any better?

Better be from a Unix OS or something like that.

q:

This is SUCH a predictable argument, The world needs you!  I refer you to my post: What nmakes the internet so wonderful, so appealing? (Science and Tech).


#12    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,843 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Australia

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 13 June 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

Bill Gates’ character is given away when you see him dealing with his underlings: he is cruel and vicious and likes to humiliate.
A relation of yours by any chance?


#13    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

    jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

  • Member
  • 3,644 posts
  • Joined:27 May 2011
  • Location:Leaving soon on a mayday so let it rain.

  • It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 13 June 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

This is SUCH a predictable argument, The world needs you!  I refer you to my post: What nmakes the internet so wonderful, so appealing? (Science and Tech).

It was teasing and nothing more. Last time you invited me (to your blog instead of a post) I actually spent lots of time thinking about it and commenting but never got feedback. Conversations have to be two-way.

My little post here: Predictable? Yes. Serious? Not fully. Sorry. Should have just kept quiet.


#14    Beany

Beany

    Government Agent

  • 3,789 posts
  • Joined:26 Jul 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:California

  • If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

View Postpantodragon, on 13 June 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

To all:

Bill Gates’ character is given away when you see him dealing with his underlings: he is cruel and vicious and likes to humiliate.  It is usually referred to as “not suffering fools gladly”, but when I saw him on tv in a meeting with his employees, what I saw was someone high on power and exercising it by being cruel and vicious and by humiliating his employees publicly.  This is Bill Gates.  The man who is giving away billions is not compassionate; he is cruel, and vicious and high on power.  You think he is being kind with his money?  Think again.  There’s something going on BELOW the surface which has nothing to do with kindness but which has everything to do with power.  And where power rules, as with Bill gates and his kind, viciousness, cruelty, malice and the will to dominate others are always, only and ever the motivation for everything.   Whatever appearance may be presented, whatever public face may be worn, there is no such thing as compassion, kindness, fellow feeling, benevolence etc.  Where there is evil intent, there is never other than evil outcome.  So any APPARENT good, is no more than apparent.  If you were dealing with Sauron, you would treat every action with extreme suspicion.  If you could see that Sauron is a metaphor for Bill Gates and his ilk, you would see things more clearly and understand better.  To refuse to face this truth about our world is to support Sauron, to condone evil, to applaud cruelty, malice and the will to dominate all life.  To face the truth is the first step to destroying the One Ring, that metaphor for power, and to freeing the world from its evil influence.  So long as you support Sauron, he will dominate your mind such that you will not know that a better world is possible.

Geez, Panto, do you ever see or look for the whole journey, not just the current episode? You're a smart cookie, use your brain, do a read around on Gates, gather information, and then you can reach a reasonable conclusion, instead of casting aspersions. Your voice would be stronger and have more credibility if you could back up your opinions with facts, and dumped the habit of name calling. I believe you have the intellect to do this, but a certain percentage of your assertions lack the force of discipline or coherency that make for strong arguments. I would love to see you put forth a reasoned, logical premise that engages people instead of turning some of them off. If you want to influence people, that's the way to do it.


#15    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

    Seeker79

  • Member
  • 12,619 posts
  • Joined:12 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

  • Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

    Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:22 AM

Last time I checked the 91,000 yes that's 91,000 employees of Microsoft were not poor hungry workers.

I wonder what platform panto is using to post from?

Edited by Seeker79, 14 June 2013 - 05:23 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users