Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Why is Youtube trying to force you

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Fat and complacent

• 25,926 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

That irritating stupid thing YouTube have been doing has popped up again, an annoying popup box pops up if you try to post a comment, "Get a better name on youTube! Now you can switch to using your real name!" Why would anyone want to do that, and why would they think that anyone would see that as an advantage?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#2    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,027 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

Because the NSA sent them a hint to do so probably.

#3    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,804 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

Time to switch YouTube account to a fake name! Probably has something to do with the MPAA and corporations like those. Greedy pigs.

#4    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,405 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

Yeah, so if you post copyrighted material they know who you are so they can nail you. This would be considered terrorism against Corporate America. All citizens are considered proto-terrorists.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#5    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 11,915 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Even worse is that they make you give a reason why you don't want to use your real name.   Even worse still is that there is no way to tell Youtube that "No, I don't want to use my real name and don't ask me again."  

So after whatever length of time, Youtube annoys us again with the same real name drill.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#6    Squidfish

Squidfish

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

Or, perhaps, they want to latch on the same wagon Facebook is on? Personally, the whole idea with internet and real names is untasteful, and I don't understand how people can trust Facebook. It's a bit like inviting a complete stranger into your home.

#7    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

We don't like you

• 5,412 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:21 AM

There are lots of reasons behind this, and the whole push towards losing anonymity on the web. The trouble with YouTube is all you have to do is read the comments on most videos to see what their 'public' excuse is...

People might actually respect each other more if dealing with 'James McPenny' rather than 'BadBoyJ-2001' and the racial and homophobic insults will drop when users have to use there real names. Like many things in life the fun of many is ruined by the idiocy of the few.

Welcome to the web ;)

BTW my real name is Junior Chubb...

Edited by Junior Chubb, 24 June 2013 - 02:22 AM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#8    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

• -Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes... After that, who cares. Your a mile away and you have his shoes. -

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:29 AM

Is this happening everywhere else, because i'm on it for one reason or another everyday, logged in, and i've never seen this.

~Today's mighty Oak is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground~

#9    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,804 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:17 AM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 24 June 2013 - 02:21 AM, said:

There are lots of reasons behind this, and the whole push towards losing anonymity on the web. The trouble with YouTube is all you have to do is read the comments on most videos to see what their 'public' excuse is...

People might actually respect each other more if dealing with 'James McPenny' rather than 'BadBoyJ-2001' and the racial and homophobic insults will drop when users have to use there real names. Like many things in life the fun of many is ruined by the idiocy of the few.

Welcome to the web ;)

BTW my real name is Junior Chubb...

As distasteful as all that language is. People should have the right to such anonymity and freedom of speech regardless.

I remember in Britain, a young man tweeted something racist. His life was essentially ruined. Do I think the lash back was just? Absolutely not. He was kicked out of his university and charged with jail time if memory serves me correctly. This was in England.

Of course things like racism are distasteful but people should still be allowed to say such things without being incarcerated. And learn in their own time that their bigotry is wrong.

#10    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Fat and complacent

• 25,926 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

View PostOdds, on 24 June 2013 - 02:29 AM, said:

Is this happening everywhere else, because i'm on it for one reason or another everyday, logged in, and i've never seen this.
it doesn't do it regularly, it just pops up from time to time when you try to post a comment, an annoying box saying "get a Better Name on Youtube! :D "

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#11    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

We don't like you

• 5,412 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 24 June 2013 - 03:17 AM, said:

As distasteful as all that language is. People should have the right to such anonymity and freedom of speech regardless.

I agree, I am just posting one of the 'public' reasons YouTube can put forward for this 'real name' drive.

Myself I would prefer all YouTube comments to be hidden unless you are signed in with an age verified account, but that is the parent in me speaking rather than the impartial user.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#12    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 11 June 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

That irritating stupid thing YouTube have been doing has popped up again, an annoying popup box pops up if you try to post a comment, "Get a better name on youTube! Now you can switch to using your real name!" Why would anyone want to do that, and why would they think that anyone would see that as an advantage?

Because Big Brother O. wants to know you. Or was that a trick question?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#13    Squidfish

Squidfish

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:11 AM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 24 June 2013 - 02:21 AM, said:

Of course, people would naturally take a step back and Think for a moment Before posting or Writing a comment or whatnot. And just like you said, it is unfortunately the few that does ruin it for the many. But in so many ways, you can also destroy your real name if you choose to use it - I mean, if you put forward a theory or just say something that wasn't phrased in a correct way. Or perhaps a simple joke that someone didn't really get.

#14    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Fat and complacent

• 25,926 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

This is the guff, i find here --> https://support.goog...r/2663685?hl=en , that the mighty Gargle corporation give us:

"Now we're bringing Google-wide identities to YouTube. In the past, YouTube usernames were specific only to YouTube. As we continue to build new features for YouTube, having a public identity that's consistent across Google will allow us to improve sharing, content distribution, content discovery, channel management, and more. This public identity is managed through Google+."

Why the hell do they assume that everyone would want a "public identity that's consistent across Google"? Most people think of YoTube and Google and gmail & so on as quite seperate things. Why would i want a "public identity" at all? I reckon it's all just a scam to get more people to sign up to that Google+ thing, whatever that's supposed to be about.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#15    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Eclipsed

• 10,362 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

I've more or less stopped using YouTube now, and the new-ish layout doesn't help.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users