Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Pyramid and the Yard

great pyramid

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#46    cladking

cladking

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,498 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

View Postshrooma, on 18 June 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

it does WHAT??
you might want to check these things before you post 'em clad, otherwise the egg/face scenario keeps coming in to play.....

I didn't define these terms.  The ancient Egyptians did.

If you want to understand the fundamentals of the pyramid and the measurements
used it is necessary to understand the builders and techniques used for building them.
We can't just glance at the ruins and rush off to judgement or we'll end up with nothing
but mysteries and assumptions.  There is absolutely no choice but to actually study these
ruins and their builders to try to understand them.

Why not start with the definition of summer; when the sun rises in the middle of the sky?
The beauty of such an approach is that we gain insights into many orther terms as well.
It even highlights the probability that they did define the minute by the rate at which the
sun left the center of the sky.  This rate is exactly one minute per day.  How can you know
this is a mere coincidence?

The alternatiuve is to presume everything they said was simply incantation and nonsense.

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

#47    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,153 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

The rotational velocity of the earth was exactly 1000 yards/sec. (Equivalent to 1005.6 today)

Note: 1 Yard equals 1.0077 British Yards.

This calculates to a 39,806 km equatorial circumference, about 99.4% of the currently accepted NASA figure of 40,030 km.

Not bad!

The Great Pyramid’s perimeter is 1000 Yards, exactly one ancient second of rotation.

This is also meaningless since at 40,075 kilometers/25,046 miles in circumference, dividing that by the 24 hour period of a day, one gets 1043 miles/5507040 feet per hour which makes that 1529.7 feet per second.

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt, 18 June 2013 - 02:53 PM.

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#48    cladking

cladking

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,498 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

I might even point out that if the minute were defined as the rate at which
the sun leaves the center of the sky then it follows that the second was defined
as the interval between human heartbeats.  Nature was set to man's clock.
All of nature was anthropomorphized in every way they understood. All knowl-
edge became encoded in nature and knowledge was expressed and explained
in terms of nature.  Man was part of the great dance of nature.

Why should people simply discount two second long seconds or an error in
ancient estimation of the size of the earth?  Why discount the possibility the py-
ramid reflected this estimation when the ancients implied the pyramid was an
extension of the earth?

There seems to be a virtual knee jerk reaction to dismissing every new theory
about pyramids unless it's made by an Egyptologists using the givens and var-
ious assumptions.

#49    Mangoze

Mangoze

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

View Postcladking, on 18 June 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

Why should people simply discount two second long seconds or an error in
ancient estimation of the size of the earth?  Why discount the possibility the py-
ramid reflected this estimation when the ancients implied the pyramid was an
extension of the earth?

There seems to be a virtual knee jerk reaction to dismissing every new theory
about pyramids unless it's made by an Egyptologists using the givens and var-
ious assumptions.
What's proposed in this thread is being dismissed because of the errors in fact.

#50    cladking

cladking

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,498 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:55 AM

View PostMangoze, on 19 June 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

What's proposed in this thread is being dismissed because of the errors in fact.

I don't think the math being off or poorly defined is fatal to the theory.  The builders went
to a lot of effort to build a huge "X" marks the spot and they just might have had something
in mind.  Even if you believe it was a tomb the fact is they went to a lot of effort to build as
they did. They went to a lot of effort. The solstice is only 28 hours away and the earth will
look like this when it occurs (12:04 CDT);

Posted Image

The sun can be in any spot and this year just happens to look like this.

#51    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,153 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:14 AM

View Postcladking, on 20 June 2013 - 12:55 AM, said:

I don't think the math being off or poorly defined is fatal to the theory.  The builders went
to a lot of effort to build a huge "X" marks the spot and they just might have had something
in mind.  Even if you believe it was a tomb the fact is they went to a lot of effort to build as
they did. They went to a lot of effort. The solstice is only 28 hours away and the earth will
look like this when it occurs (12:04 CDT);

Posted Image

The sun can be in any spot and this year just happens to look like this.

It rather is considering that the theory, per the OP, is that the Ancient Egyptians used the yard. This is an outright fabrication as the length they would have used at the time was the cubit, which is significantly shorter than a yard. And once again one can't take two wrong items, multiply them together, and get a right answer. It doesn't work no matter how many times one tries. Yes the Egyptians put a lot of effort into the GP, but they also put alot of effort into correcting its alignment (after the core was complete - per Petrie) when they discovered a twist in the construction. Of which Petrie infers that they used the casing to correct the problem. Which further means that the measurements of the sides, per Petrie, were not intended in the GP's construction but actually the product of correcting a screw-up.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#52    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,297 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:29 AM

I'll say it again, aside from all of the loose speculations flying back and forth here: the mere idea that the ancient Egyptians knew anything of the measurements of the entire planet is considerably removed from fact.

Rather than prying imagined "sacred numbers" from the Great Pyramid or applying other modern, New Age woo-woo, a person arguing for this sort of thing should do real research and dig very deep into the ancient Egyptians themselves. What is there in the ancient Egyptian material culture, textual history, or archaeological record that concretely points to a knowledge of the measurements of the entire planet?

Until one can fully address that challenge, the rest remains loose speculation without evidentiary basis.

Posted Image
The evil overlord mummy moderator has spoken.

Visit My Blog!

#53    cladking

cladking

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,498 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

can't copy and paste here.  

Can't type in the box here

trying to edit
can't edit in post from word

Edited by cladking, 20 June 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#54    cladking

cladking

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,498 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 20 June 2013 - 02:29 AM, said:

I'll say it again, aside from all of the loose speculations flying back and forth here: the mere idea that the ancient Egyptians knew anything of the measurements of the entire planet is considerably removed from fact.

Rather than prying imagined "sacred numbers" from the Great Pyramid or applying other modern, New Age woo-woo, a person arguing for this sort of thing should do real research and dig very deep into the ancient Egyptians themselves. What is there in the ancient Egyptian material culture, textual history, or archaeological record that concretely points to a knowledge of the measurements of the entire planet?

Until one can fully address that challenge, the rest remains loose speculation without evidentiary basis.

This is very much a double edged sword.

There is nothing in the "Egyptian material culture" that points to how they understood the curved outline of the earth on the moon during a lunar eclipse. There is nothing in the culture that explains how they understood the appearance of the ocean to look like a section of a sphere. There is nothing in this record that explains why the bottom 16' of the pyramids would disappear from view for every five miles they traveled away from it.

Many such facts would have been known and there's no reason to think they wouldn't try to explain them. There's no reason to think they wouldn't try to quantify what they knew. Indeed, there's good reason to believe they did just this. For instance, if you try to compute the size of the earth using the 16' per 5 mi rule (1 cubit/ 1650 cubit) then you get a mere 16,500 mile circumferance for the earth. It appears that most of the old estimates were short because of various errors introduced by trying to estimate from a single location. Multiple locations required time keeping. The shadow of the earth on the moon required knowledge of the size of the moon and its distance which could only be estimated by the height of the tides.

I think some of this ancient Egyptian knowledge does leak out of the record but the important point is that they would have seen all these phenomena and many more but they left no record according to Egyptology. There are countless reasons they might not have left such records. Perhaps it's as simple as not one single "college level" science book survives or just maybe we misunderstand such simple concepts as "shu embraces all things". If "shu" means inertia as is apparent from context then this constitutes proof that they did try to compute the size of the earth.

Edited by cladking, 20 June 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#55    cladking

cladking

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,498 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 20 June 2013 - 02:14 AM, said:

It rather is considering that the theory, per the OP, is that the Ancient Egyptians used the yard. This is an outright fabrication as the length they would have used at the time was the cubit, which is significantly shorter than a yard. And once again one can't take two wrong items, multiply them together, and get a right answer. It doesn't work no matter how many times one tries. Yes the Egyptians put a lot of effort into the GP, but they also put alot of effort into correcting its alignment (after the core was complete - per Petrie) when they discovered a twist in the construction. Of which Petrie infers that they used the casing to correct the problem. Which further means that the measurements of the sides, per Petrie, were not intended in the GP's construction but actually the product of correcting a screw-up.

I suppose you're right and I'm being rather thick again.

I keep thinking it's the proportion that's really important in the claim rather than
the lenght of the yard itself.

#56    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,117 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

View PostRayGday, on 12 June 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

The perimeter of the Great Pyramid is 1000 yards. Exactly as designed.

More details here. http://www.xrayb.com...nd_the_yard.php

What are your thoughts?

Im just starting on this thread, as usual I check links for the credibility/source etc. Your user name is Ray. The person who wrote that page is Ray too, so I have to ask, is it your own page?

If so, I was just curious about the start pages images, with an elephant farting?

http://www.xrayb.com/

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#57    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,297 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:22 AM

View Postseeder, on 20 June 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

If so, I was just curious about the start pages images, with an elephant farting?

http://www.xrayb.com/

How the ancient Egyptians collected methane?

Posted Image
The evil overlord mummy moderator has spoken.

Visit My Blog!

#58    Mangoze

Mangoze

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

View Postcladking, on 20 June 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

... The shadow of the earth on the moon required knowledge of the size of the moon and its distance which could only be estimated by the height of the tides. ...
Not true.  All you need is a disc of the same apparent size as the Sun and the Moon; and a time keeping device.

Anyway, did you make up your 16 feet figure?

#59    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,117 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 21 June 2013 - 02:22 AM, said:

How the ancient Egyptians collected methane?

Methane for the dendera lamps to glow with I expect. hehehe

Now the home page has the elephant removed. So yes, I expect that was the OP's page

HEY RAY, bring back the elephant?

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#60    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,707 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

View Postseeder, on 21 June 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

Methane for the dendera lamps to glow with I expect. hehehe

Now the home page has the elephant removed. So yes, I expect that was the OP's page

HEY RAY, bring back the elephant?

Nah, he wanted to make it evident that he is the author of the intellectual diarrhea on that page.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

Also tagged with great pyramid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users