Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Should we be signalling to ET ?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#91    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

I say what the hey, but let's get elementary school kids to compose the greetings, not some fuddy adults.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#92    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 19,031 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:02 AM

E.T is in the same Boat as us ! Trying to finger out what to Say?

This is a Work in Progress!

#93    Spacenut56

Spacenut56

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

Then there is this: www.science.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/18/19023123-nows-the-time-to-place-your-call-to-an-extraterrestrial?lite

Edited by Spacenut56, 18 June 2013 - 04:30 PM.

#94    Capt. P. Lilandra

Capt. P. Lilandra

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

I don't honestly see the issue when you think about it. This is just a public attempt to make contact these efforts have been made for years, when you hear of things like this billing done publicly you can be sure that it been done out of the public eye for at least a decade

#95    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,300 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

View Postconspiracy buff, on 17 June 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

If an advanced civilization wanted contact, don't you think they'd have done so by now?  Us shooting signals into the heavens will not change that fact.  What is troubling is the notion that these aliens may be hostile, then what?  We have basically brought it all upon ourselves in that scenario.  My answer is no, we should not be signaling.  If a race is benevolent, they will contact us or find some way to peacefully communicate.  If not, God help us if or when they arrive.

Perhaps that was the point of the WOW! signal, things is we just do not know, and comms is a better idea than physical travel. Carl Sagan is long gone, but we are still watching the voyager probes. These projects do not end with their creators, they only begin the steps we need to take. If a species is hostile, then comms seems a good way to go. As you say, in most cases the wait just for a signal is going to be decades, so physical matter has to take much longer. If we are ever going to find out what iss out there we need to take some steps at some time, and if we are awaiting an impending invasion that takes thousands of years to arrive, we have some decent prep time. No matter how you look at it, massless particles are always going to win the race against time, making them the most promising option.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#96    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 19,031 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:08 AM

Its like  "No Mass,No Mass" my latino buddys will say ! E.T will call home some day It will mostlikely be Us calling from a far away place ! The Important thing to know Is tomorrow Is the Best day you can make it ! :tu:

#97    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

Personally, I do not think we should be signaling to ET. Why? Because, I agree with what Mr. Stephen Hawking said in regards to the matter:

"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," warned the fretful astrophysicist. He said that aliens might simply come to Earth, raid it for resources and move on. Hawking explained his fear: “We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet." (http://sciencefocus....alien-invasions

Don't invite anyone to visit, if you don't have anything in the house to feed them.

Kind Regards :)

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#98    Ma0773

Ma0773

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

• I believe in more !

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

Hey All

I personally believe we are the ones who should be making the effort to advance our technologies to a point where other civilisations will be sending us messages to come and visit, why should we sit back and wait for ETI to reply to our messages which for all intensive purposes, ETI may not be able to understand. Even the Arecibo message that was transmitted in 1974 was interpreted by scientists on earth in a multitude of different combinations, what chance does that give our neighbours of understanding this message if it is ever received.

Taking a proactive approach to this problem, rather than sitting back, sending messages and hoping for the best is more likely to produce better results.

#99    ambelamba

ambelamba

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

View PostAsadora, on 26 June 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

Personally, I do not think we should be signaling to ET. Why? Because, I agree with what Mr. Stephen Hawking said in regards to the matter:

"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," warned the fretful astrophysicist. He said that aliens might simply come to Earth, raid it for resources and move on. Hawking explained his fear: “We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet." (http://sciencefocus....alien-invasions

Don't invite anyone to visit, if you don't have anything in the house to feed them.

Kind Regards :)

Surely we have something to feed them: Us.

#100    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 19,031 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

Well Ron you just maybe right on that ,Ive been trying to tell these guys formany years in here Its Not How Far ,and How Smart,and How powerful one is.Its  How hungry you are when you pull thru the Drive thru ! :tu:
Tastie wins the War !

Edited by DONTEATUS, 27 June 2013 - 08:29 PM.

#101    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,827 posts

• With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 27 June 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

Well Ron you just maybe right on that ,Ive been trying to tell these guys formany years in here Its Not How Far ,and How Smart,and How powerful one is.Its  How hungry you are when you pull thru the Drive thru ! :tu:
Tastie wins the War !

DONTEATUS, man...I always wanted to post this for you especially.

Posted Image

Found by Lisa Simpson, while on an alien space craft. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users