Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Would you put your mind in their hands?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,266 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

I was raised by a chronic severe alcoholic father and a paranoic-schizophrenic mother, so I don't have to go very far back in history to identify the genesis of dysfunction. While I've always gotten along and coped, I wanted to do more than that, I wanted to thrive. When I realized that my self-taught coping techniques developed as a child weren't always effective in an adult environment, I went to Al-anon meetings and started seeing a trans-personal therapist. It was one of the best gifts I've ever given myself. My psycho-whatsit had not just one clue, but several and encouraged me to figure it out for myself, which is what most therapists do; good ones don't tell you what's wrong and what the cure is, they walk beside us during the journey of recovery, they encourage us and support us. And, here's the shocker, he was a LAD! I've found there's any number of people, professionals or otherwise, who are willing to love and support us, and that there are times when we need to allow ourselves to be supported by people who have a different kind of wisdom or knowledge than we do. I guess that was the other important decision I made, to give myself a break and ask for and accept help. Here's a trippy thing about that: when I consciously made that decision I heard a loud snap coming from my body, like a big tree branch being snapped in two. I am so grateful for that moment, as it changed my life. And the people who helped me reach that point? Three LADS, all of them either a therapist or  counselor, dedicated to the work of healing.

Panto, you do realize there is always more than one side of a story? And that someone can have the same experience you have and reach a different conclusion? And that difference makes neither person wrong nor right, nor good or bad?

Edited by Beany, 14 June 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#17    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,446 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 13 June 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

Radio ga-ga

Having experienced severe depression, today’s radio guest, a well-known comedienne, described how she took a degree in psychotherapy (or one of those psycho-whatsits, I can’t remember which) as a way of getting to grips with her condition.

One of her symptoms, she said, was feelings of inadequacy, especially when in the company of the likes of at least one of the other guests, a well-known, well-qualified celebrity mathematician.  In other words, she felt dwarfed beside such an intellectual “giant”.  (Intellectual giant?  Oh give me a break!)

She then went on to explain where these feelings of inadequacy come from.   No surprises when they turned out to be a throwback from our hunter-gatherer ancestors.  Thankfully she spared me by not mentioning the “fight or flight” response.  If I hear that one trotted out once more, I’m telling you, I won’t be answerable for the consequences……..

But I ASK you?  What do we pay these damned pscho-whatsits for?  I mean, ALL our depression and feelings of inadequacy are because we can’t shake of our pre-historic past????!!!!!  Want to know what that REALLY means?  What it means is this:  those psycho-whatsits haven’t a clue but this sounds good so let’s use it folks, ‘cos no one will know any better, no one will ever tumble to the fact that us psycho-whatsits don’t know s**t about how the mind works.  I mean, honestly!  (Actually, honesty has nothing to do with it.)

Underlying this claptrap is the idea that our feelings of inadequacy are part of one’s “personality”.  It’s like anger management.  If you have anger problems, then it’s not because the government or your co-workers or your so-called friends are ******g you over, it’s not because your boss is screwing you, making you sweat blood, for slave wages i.e. he gets rich and drives home at night to his mansion while you stand for a two hours in a slow, crowded bus to get home to your box in a former council estate.  Oh no.  If you get angry at your boss, it’s your “personality” that’s the problem, nothing to do with the fact that he’s a b*****d.

Let’s face it, this is a lads’ world.  It has been for millennia.  It’s laddish behaviour that drives us nuts --- lads just love to tease.  It’s lads that come up with these idiotic “throwback” theories.  It’s lads that decide what’s wrong with our minds and how to “cure” the problem.  Yet have you ever heard lads talking?  They don’t talk.  They grunt.  Communicate with other people?  Forget it!  And as to lads being able to take care of other people and treat them for depression or OCD or whatever.  Who are you kidding?  Lads can’t even look after themselves  --- I mean, LOOK at them!

I love & respect your uniqueness!!
This is an awesome rant..

however I think you need therapy..
You obviously have issues with authority & males..

If it's any consolation, I believe the highest authority in the universe is your self. (Just sometimes we need help discovering this)
Also gender bias, and gender roles should be illegal, (Just don't ask a bloke to have a baby...)

Edited by Professor T, 14 June 2013 - 08:58 PM.

#18    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

This documentary is the best tool for depression.

Watching this cured my "penis envy" .

#19    shrooma

shrooma

.. Pint Pot Politician.

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

great story Beany, and kudos on making it work for yourself!
*doffs cap*

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#20    shrooma

shrooma

.. Pint Pot Politician.

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

View Posts33ker, on 14 June 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

Watching this cured my "penis envy" .
you'd be jealous as **** if you saw mine S33k!!
:-D

#21    shrooma

shrooma

.. Pint Pot Politician.

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 14 June 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

I love & respect your uniqueness!!
This is an awesome rant..
(the lord giveth)

however I think you need therapy..
(and the lord taketh away.)
:-)
I believe the highest authority in the universe is your self.
who PD is??
jeez, get a bloody room you two!!

#22    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 13 June 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

Radio ga-ga

Having experienced severe depression, today’s radio guest, a well-known comedienne, described how she took a degree in psychotherapy (or one of those psycho-whatsits, I can’t remember which) as a way of getting to grips with her condition.

One of her symptoms, she said, was feelings of inadequacy, especially when in the company of the likes of at least one of the other guests, a well-known, well-qualified celebrity mathematician.  In other words, she felt dwarfed beside such an intellectual “giant”.  (Intellectual giant?  Oh give me a break!)

She then went on to explain where these feelings of inadequacy come from.   No surprises when they turned out to be a throwback from our hunter-gatherer ancestors.  Thankfully she spared me by not mentioning the “fight or flight” response.  If I hear that one trotted out once more, I’m telling you, I won’t be answerable for the consequences……..

But I ASK you?  What do we pay these damned psycho-whatsits for?  I mean, ALL our depression and feelings of inadequacy are because we can’t shake of our prehistoric past????!!!!!  Want to know what that REALLY means?  What it means is this:  those psycho-whatsits haven’t a clue but this sounds good so let’s use it folks, ‘cos no one will know any better, no one will ever tumble to the fact that us psycho-whatsits don’t know s**t about how the mind works.  I mean, honestly!  (Actually, honesty has nothing to do with it.)

Underlying this claptrap is the idea that our feelings of inadequacy are part of one’s “personality”.  It’s like anger management.  If you have anger problems, then it’s not because the government or your co-workers or your so-called friends are ******g you over, it’s not because your boss is screwing you, making you sweat blood, for slave wages i.e. he gets rich and drives home at night to his mansion while you stand for a two hours in a slow, crowded bus to get home to your box in a former council estate.  Oh no.  If you get angry at your boss, it’s your “personality” that’s the problem, nothing to do with the fact that he’s a b*****d.

Let’s face it, this is a lads’ world.  It has been for millennia.  It’s laddish behaviour that drives us nuts --- lads just love to tease.  It’s lads that come up with these idiotic “throwback” theories.  It’s lads that decide what’s wrong with our minds and how to “cure” the problem.  Yet have you ever heard lads talking?  They don’t talk.  They grunt.  Communicate with other people?  Forget it!  And as to lads being able to take care of other people and treat them for depression or OCD or whatever.  Who are you kidding?  Lads can’t even look after themselves  --- I mean, LOOK at them!

Was she British? Hmmm a very illuminating post and plenty to go at there... not all 'Psychotherapists' (damned psycho-whatsits) talk  s**t ;) :P

Edited by Star of the Sea, 14 June 2013 - 09:21 PM.

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#23    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

View Postshrooma, on 14 June 2013 - 09:11 PM, said:

you'd be jealous as **** if you saw mine S33k!!
Lol shroom.

#24    shrooma

shrooma

.. Pint Pot Politician.

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

View PostStar of the Sea, on 14 June 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

Was she British?
given the clues(?), i'd say the woman with feelings of inadequacy was either pamela stephenson or jo brand, and the person she was feeling inadequate towards was carol vorderman, but there wasn't much to go on really so I could be wrong.....

Edited by shrooma, 14 June 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#25    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,850 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

View Postshrooma, on 14 June 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

given the clues(?), i'd say the woman with feelings of inadequacy was either pamela stephenson or jo brand, and the person she was feeling inadequate towards was carol vorderman, but there wasn't much to go on really so I could be wrong.....

I wondered if it was Pamela Stephenson Shrooma. I heard she had gone onto do her Phd and is now a Psychologist... not surprising being married to Billy lol! (I love Billy Connelly :lol: ) Carol Vorderman is a good guess, got to give it to her; she is one smart lady.

I think 'Professor 'T's' post is on the right track.

#26    shrooma

shrooma

.. Pint Pot Politician.

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

she's (pamela) carving out a niche in hollywood as a 'shrink to the stars' SotS, but jo brand was a psychiatric nurse before she took up comedy which is why I considered her too!
and being a big fan of the old countdown (the whitely years), i'd pay a fiver just to hear Ms Vorderman fart!!

#27    shrooma

shrooma

.. Pint Pot Politician.

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 14 June 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

gender bias, and gender roles should be illegal.
good point T!
i'll start sitting down when I go for a wazz just as soon as women start lugging bags of plaster across building sites.....

#28    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,850 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

View Postshrooma, on 14 June 2013 - 10:28 PM, said:

she's (pamela) carving out a niche in hollywood as a 'shrink to the stars' SotS, but jo brand was a psychiatric nurse before she took up comedy which is why I considered her too!
and being a big fan of the old countdown (the whitely years), i'd pay a fiver just to hear Ms Vorderman fart!!

Oh, I didn't know that about Jo Brand! Haha Shrooma! Who doesn't fancy Ms Vorderman :-*  She is stunning!

#29    Ratte

Ratte

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

• The slippery are very crafty.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:56 AM

View Postshrooma, on 14 June 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

good point T!
i'll start sitting down when I go for a wazz just as soon as women start lugging bags of plaster across building sites.....
They do. They also throw four-hundred pound trampolines out of the truck because the men are too busy arguing about which two will do the heavy lifting that day.

Posted Image

#30    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,266 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:16 AM

View Postshrooma, on 14 June 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

great story Beany, and kudos on making it work for yourself!
*doffs cap*

Thanks, Shrooma.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users