Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Would you put your mind in their hands?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31    shrooma

shrooma

.goddamn sexual tyrannosaur.

• 2,984 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:57 AM

View PostRatte, on 15 June 2013 - 12:56 AM, said:

They do. They also throw four-hundred pound trampolines out of the truck because the men are too busy arguing about which two will do the heavy lifting that day.
*sigh*
ratte, i'm guessing that either-
A] english isn't your first language,
or-
B] the subtleties of humour escape you.
I aren't attacking women in any way, shape, or form.
please stop assuming I am, you're very sadly mistaken.
take the spirit of the posts as they are meant.
with humour.

Edited by shrooma, 15 June 2013 - 02:01 AM.

sometimes, your signature is worth nothing at all.

#32    Ratte

Ratte

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

• The slippery are very crafty.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:26 AM

View Postshrooma, on 15 June 2013 - 01:57 AM, said:

*sigh*
ratte, i'm guessing that either-
A] english isn't your first language,
or-
B] the subtleties of humour escape you.
I aren't attacking women in any way, shape, or form.
please stop assuming I am, you're very sadly mistaken.
take the spirit of the posts as they are meant.
with humour.
English is my first language... Though I come from a place with such a specific dialect that it may as well be a different language.
Humor does not escape me. Sexism is sexism, regardless of whether or not it is done for the sake of being funny. Those kind of comments are uncalled for and, quite frankly, offensive.

Posted Image

#33    shrooma

shrooma

• 2,984 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:39 AM

obviously humour DOES escape you if you think i'm being ''sexist''
strange, how the women don't think so isn't it?
feel free to feel offended if that's what makes you happy, you've only yourself to blame for that.

#34    Ratte

Ratte

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:02 AM

View Postshrooma, on 15 June 2013 - 02:39 AM, said:

obviously humour DOES escape you if you think i'm being ''sexist''
strange, how the women don't think so isn't it?
feel free to feel offended if that's what makes you happy, you've only yourself to blame for that.
People have learned to accept it. There is nothing funny about driving the genders further apart, delaying equality and promoting staereo types.

People think that because they can laugh at a sexist statement, because they know its not always true, that they're not part of the problem. Yet, what drove you to make those comments if you do not actually feel that women are weak or that women who don't wear clothing that accentuates their 'desirables' or who aren't concerned with men are "man hating" or "have an axe to grind"?

I find it offensive. Others have probably ignored it for that reason. I can not.

Posted Image

#35    shrooma

shrooma

• 2,984 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:19 AM

what 'drove' me to make those comments was humour.
if you see it as me 'driving apart the sexes' or 'promoting inequality' that's your prerogative, but you're in a minority of one, so feel free.
if you're taking offense, where none was given, or intended, then you're guilty of reverse sexism, by implying it.
think about that concept.
'favouring a flatter shoe' is a euphamism, nothing more, and certainly nothing to do with women 'accentuating desirability'.
you're reading things that simply aren't there, that makes you guilty, not me, and it's been noted by everyone who reads PD's posts that she does indeed have a problem with men, and a serious axe to grind, and the fact that you're ignoring that, and focusing on my posts, makes you sexist in a way that completely eclipses any imagined slight on my part.
why AREN'T you commenting on her blatant sexism by the way ratte? is there some issue you have? some agenda you're keeping hidden?
or do you believe that only men are capable of being sexist?
there's a word for that kind of hypocrisy, see if you can guess what it is.....

#36    Ratte

Ratte

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:40 AM

View Postshrooma, on 15 June 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

what 'drove' me to make those comments was humour.
if you see it as me 'driving apart the sexes' or 'promoting inequality' that's your prerogative, but you're in a minority of one, so feel free.
if you're taking offense, where none was given, or intended, then you're guilty of reverse sexism, by implying it.
think about that concept.
'favouring a flatter shoe' is a euphamism, nothing more, and certainly nothing to do with women 'accentuating desirability'.
you're reading things that simply aren't there, that makes you guilty, not me, and it's been noted by everyone who reads PD's posts that she does indeed have a problem with men, and a serious axe to grind, and the fact that you're ignoring that, and focusing on my posts, makes you sexist in a way that completely eclipses any imagined slight on my part.
why AREN'T you commenting on her blatant sexism by the way ratte? is there some issue you have? some agenda you're keeping hidden?
or do you believe that only men are capable of being sexist?
there's a word for that kind of hypocrisy, see if you can guess what it is.....
Okay, before you get more upset, let me explain something to you.

I misunderstood the OP, so there's that. I just reread it several times to finally get it. I wasn't aware that "lads" in this case was being used in the "lads and lasses" context. I thought it was some sort of slang that I didn't understand. Some sort of slang for wealthy folk or folks in positions of power or pharmacists. For that, I apologize. But I will not apologize for my comments about your statements because I stand by them.

I also wasn't aware that the OP is female. I can't see gender tags on mobile.

Now that that is cleared up! No, I do not have some hidden agenda or some issue. I am only guilty of not being as well versed in my language as I should be.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have a post to make in response to the OP.

Posted Image

#37    Ratte

Ratte

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:08 AM

View Postpantodragon, on 13 June 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

Radio ga-ga

Having experienced severe depression, today’s radio guest, a well-known comedienne, described how she took a degree in psychotherapy (or one of those psycho-whatsits, I can’t remember which) as a way of getting to grips with her condition.

One of her symptoms, she said, was feelings of inadequacy, especially when in the company of the likes of at least one of the other guests, a well-known, well-qualified celebrity mathematician.  In other words, she felt dwarfed beside such an intellectual “giant”.  (Intellectual giant?  Oh give me a break!)
Every field of study has its importance. Mathematicians are important as are psychotherapists and the people who flip burgers at fast food joints. It's perfectly natural to want more than you have, but as long as you work to improve yourself, you shouldn't feel inadequate.

She then went on to explain where these feelings of inadequacy come from.   No surprises when they turned out to be a throwback from our hunter-gatherer ancestors.  Thankfully she spared me by not mentioning the “fight or flight” response.  If I hear that one trotted out once more, I’m telling you, I won’t be answerable for the consequences……..

But I ASK you?  What do we pay these damned pscho-whatsits for?  I mean, ALL our depression and feelings of inadequacy are because we can’t shake of our pre-historic past????!!!!!  Want to know what that REALLY means?  What it means is this:  those psycho-whatsits haven’t a clue but this sounds good so let’s use it folks, ‘cos no one will know any better, no one will ever tumble to the fact that us psycho-whatsits don’t know s**t about how the mind works.  I mean, honestly!  (Actually, honesty has nothing to do with it.)
I think a direct quote from the show should go around this point, because so far, I'm not understanding how females getting better color vision and males getting better depth-perception would have any effect whatsoever on a comedian or a mathematicians career.

Underlying this claptrap is the idea that our feelings of inadequacy are part of one’s “personality”.  It’s like anger management.  If you have anger problems, then it’s not because the government or your co-workers or your so-called friends are ******g you over, it’s not because your boss is screwing you, making you sweat blood, for slave wages i.e. he gets rich and drives home at night to his mansion while you stand for a two hours in a slow, crowded bus to get home to your box in a former council estate.  Oh no.  If you get angry at your boss, it’s your “personality” that’s the problem, nothing to do with the fact that he’s a b*****d.
Life just is unfair to people sometimes and pharmaceutical companies have picked up on this. You can't know joy without pain and yet some people only want to be acquainted with joy.

Let’s face it, this is a lads’ world.  It has been for millennia.
The world has always "belonged" to a select group of people; the ones who created written language, the ones who established religion, etc. Yes, they were usually men. Yes, they used their powers to their advantage. So what? We are all equals if we open our eyes.

It’s laddish behaviour that drives us nuts --- lads just love to tease.  It’s lads that come up with these idiotic “throwback” theories.  It’s lads that decide what’s wrong with our minds and how to “cure” the problem.  
Actually, that is the people who want to make money off of people's natural reactions to life. Yes, most of which are men. But you can't blame John Doe for the Hippocratic Corpus.

Yet have you ever heard lads talking?  They don’t talk.  They grunt.  Communicate with other people?  Forget it!  And as to lads being able to take care of other people and treat them for depression or OCD or whatever.  Who are you kidding?  Lads can’t even look after themselves  --- I mean, LOOK at them!
I can take care of myself quite well, thank you. I have been doing so since I was twelve years old.

To answer sexism with sexism only furthers the hate. Instead of hurling insults, be the change you want to see.

I mean, seriously? Men and women both have useful things to contribute and are capable of the same things if they put in the effort and work together.

Would you put your mind in their hands?

My mind is my own. I accept help when I need it and help others when I can.

To blame one group for the state of any society only breaks people into more groups and builds barriers we should be working on breaking down.

Posted Image

#38    third_eye

third_eye

¤_Ì M ã Ġ î ń Æ Ř Ī ü Ş_ ¤

• 6,825 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

Posted Image

hmmmm maybe not ... not entirely anyway in this day and age ....

Posted Image

wonders never ceases to amaze me ... maybe there is many more wonders to come

hopefully ?

most certainly ....

please read between the images  .... ;)

~

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#39    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

View Postshrooma, on 14 June 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

mysandry seems to be a common theme in your threads PD, would you like to lie down on the couch and tell me why....?

Not my mysandry, your misunderstanding.  I hate everybody!!!

#40    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

View Postshrooma, on 14 June 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

most people do J. but unfortunately, not everyone has the strength to be able to cope these days, so they find therapy & peace with the assistance of others.
(unless they turn to one of those uncommunicative, semi-literate, neanderthal ''lads'' by mistake of course.)

that's us ''lads'' for you OR, always on the lookout for the easily manipulated!
(if you believe SOME people that is....)
but as a VERY wise man once said-
''who is the more foolish, the fool? or the fool that follows him....?''
;-)

Honest, I'm not just picking on you men.  Women are just as much "lads" as men --- that's why they are "succeeding" better in the modern world.

#41    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostBeany, on 14 June 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

I was raised by a chronic severe alcoholic father and a paranoic-schizophrenic mother, so I don't have to go very far back in history to identify the genesis of dysfunction. While I've always gotten along and coped, I wanted to do more than that, I wanted to thrive. When I realized that my self-taught coping techniques developed as a child weren't always effective in an adult environment, I went to Al-anon meetings and started seeing a......................................................................ask for and accept help. Here's a trippy thing about that: when I consciously made that decision I heard a loud snap coming from my body, like a big tree branch being snapped in two. I am so grateful for that moment, as it changed my life. And the people who helped me reach that point? Three LADS, all of them either a therapist or  counselor, dedicated to the work of healing.

Panto, you do realize there is always more than one side of a story? And that someone can have the same experience you have and reach a different conclusion? And that difference makes neither person wrong nor right, nor good or bad?

And you do realise, don't you, that it was a lads' society that created those problems you experienced in the first place?    As to "walking beside" you on that "journey of recovery", how many of those lads have cured themselves, let alone recognised that they themselves have a BIG problem?  I did recognise that I had a problem --- and I'm not talking about mentsl illness or anything of that sort, but of recognising that life, my life, was not what it should be.  Being female, however, I speak not from the intellect but from personal experience.  Unlike the lads, I speak with the confidence of success, not of the confidence of brag and bluster and the desire to impress.  I read the books, explored the possibilities, and found nothing that could do more than make me feel just a little better, a little calmer, a little more resigned.  So I went further.  I went out on my own and I found a new path, which I stuck to through thick and thin until I came out the other side.  The reason for the success was that that path led to understanding and that understanding enables me to say that I am right and everyone else is wrong.  I understand how the mind works and I understand why other people arrive at different conclusions and therefore understand why they are wrong.  I know that is unpalatable.  But I will not lie.

#42    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 14 June 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

I love & respect your uniqueness!!
This is an awesome rant..

however I think you need therapy..
You obviously have issues with authority & males..

If it's any consolation, I believe the highest authority in the universe is your self. (Just sometimes we need help discovering this)
Also gender bias, and gender roles should be illegal, (Just don't ask a bloke to have a baby...)

Yes, I do have a problem with authority.  I have a problem with authority because it insists on telling me what to think and how to behave, all of which are harmful to my health.  As to gender bias, as I mentioned to another commenter, laddish behaviour is just as much as affliction of women as it is of men.

#43    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

View Postshrooma, on 14 June 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

given the clues(?), i'd say the woman with feelings of inadequacy was either pamela stephenson or jo brand, and the person she was feeling inadequate towards was carol vorderman, but there wasn't much to go on really so I could be wrong.....

Nope.  Wrong again......

#44    shrooma

shrooma

• 2,984 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:17 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 15 June 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

Honest, I'm not just picking on you men.  Women are just as much "lads" as men --- that's why they are "succeeding" better in the modern world.
I have to agree with you there!
for people to speak of unequality in this day & age is bizarre.
women have most definitely got the upper hand in the world at the mo. you only have to switch on a tv or read a newspaper to see that!
the inequality these days has most certainly been reversed, and women are indeed, 'on top'

#45    shrooma

shrooma

• 2,984 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 15 June 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

Nope.  Wrong again......
ooh, you b*tch!!
:-)
wrong on which one??
or both?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users