Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Comet ISON Approaches

comets ison comet c/2012 s1

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,215 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

Comet ISON Approaches

www.skyandtelescope.com said:

The “comet of the century” was stuck at 16th magnitude when it hid out for the summer. Still, good prospects remain for December.

Newly discovered comets are always a bit mysterious and confounding in how they develop. That’s especially true for new comets that become active early, promising great things while they’re still far from the Sun. In these cases, predictions of future glory often fall flat.

So what can we expect from Comet ISON (C/2012), now approaching amid great expectations? It will swing close by the Sun at the end of November and climb up the dawn sky in December. Some of the media have been billing ISON as “the comet of the century.” Is there a chance that this won’t be an embarrassment?

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

unfortunately, my house faces due north, and southeast is pretty much obscured.
fortunately, i've got a camp chair, some good winter clothing, and a 50cl hipflask.
let the good times roll.....
;-)

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users