Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

The Theory Of Evolution Explained

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#106    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,294 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

I think i know ... the impasse here ... it is all 'context'

everyone here is wrong ... and the rest is right ...

everyone here is also right ... and the rest is also wrong ...

it is all in the context really ... philosophical fluff is right ...  aquatus1 the most accurate thus far ... :tu:

`

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#107    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 21,226 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostThe Lone Ranger, on 19 June 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

I`ve spend many hours studying sciences, like physics, geology, astronomy and i`m not an expert but i understand some of it. And i`ve especially studies the history of the ancients. And it only confirms what i stated (we are not getting full information here)

It isn't enough to read the information.  You also have to understand it.  And, by your own admission, you don't.

Think about it:  How could you possibly be in a position to determine whether any information is complete or not if you cannot even understand the fundamentals of a given field (say, biology) in their most simplified forms?

The thing of it is that this part of the argument, these definitions, the Fact of Evolution, the General Theory of Evolution, even the more well-known actual scientific theories of evolution, like Neo-Darwinism, and Punctuated Equilibrium...

These is all really, really basic stuff.

And, I mean, most people really do not appreciate the utter beginner level material this is.  This is high school.  This is honors Junior High.  At the college level, knowing this isn't even a requirement; it is assumed.

It is a little bit like saying "Is there any way in which walking might not be the actual precursor to running?"  Quite simply, the concept has stood up so firmly against all sorts of tests and verifications, and falsifications, and is used on such an unbelievable level by literally thousands upon thousands of commercial processes that rely on regular, predictable, behaviour, that we simply can't think of a situation in which it has never been true.

The new theories of evolution are about increasingly specific aspects of increasingly specific behaviours with the genetic material.  There are new theories which allow us to trace genetic lineages back through time and new theories which allow us to create entirely new sequences and even entire new genetic strands that have never been seen by nature, such as the triple helix strand.  Evolutionary science is incredibly advanced, and the possibilities are still being explored and discovered by the people...who are working on the front lines.

But this stuff here, that we are talking about in this forum?  This isn't the front lines.  This isn't even the war zone.  This is back home, on the farm, where things have been done this way for ever, simply because they work.  There is, quite literally, no mystery here, save the sacred mystery you wish to worship.  And worshiping sacred mysteries, worshiping wonders that are assumed to exist not based on existent evidence, but on a lack of evidence...that is nothing more than worshiping your own ignorance.

There are plenty of worthy mysteries to be learned in the real world.  The sooner you can set aside the imaginary ones, the sooner you can reach a stage worthy of the human intellect.

Edited by aquatus1, 19 June 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#108    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,395 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

View Postaquatus1, on 19 June 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

It isn't enough to read the information.  You also have to understand it.  And, by your own admission, you don't.

Think about it:  How could you possibly be in a position to determine whether any information is complete or not if you cannot even understand the fundamentals of a given field (say, biology) in their most simplified forms?

The thing of it is that this part of the argument, these definitions, the Fact of Evolution, the General Theory of Evolution, even the more well-known actual scientific theories of evolution, like Neo-Darwinism, and Punctuated Equilibrium...

These is all really, really basic stuff.

And, I mean, most people really do not appreciate the utter beginner level material this is.  This is high school.  This is honors Junior High.  At the college level, knowing this isn't even a requirement; it is assumed.

It is a little bit like saying "Is there any way in which walking might not be the actual precursor to running?"  Quite simply, the concept has stood up so firmly against all sorts of tests and verifications, and falsifications, and is used on such an unbelievable level by literally thousands upon thousands of commercial processes that rely on regular, predictable, behaviour, that we simply can't think of a situation in which it has never been true.

The new theories of evolution are about increasingly specific aspects of increasingly specific behaviours with the genetic material.  There are new theories which allow us to trace genetic lineages back through time and new theories which allow us to create entirely new sequences and even entire new genetic strands that have never been seen by nature, such as the triple helix strand.  Evolutionary science is incredibly advanced, and the possibilities are still being explored and discovered by the people...who are working on the front lines.

But this stuff here, that we are talking about in this forum?  This isn't the front lines.  This isn't even the war zone.  This is back home, on the farm, where things have been done this way for ever, simply because they work.  There is, quite literally, no mystery here, save the sacred mystery you wish to worship.  And worshiping sacred mysteries, worshiping wonders that are assumed to exist not based on existent evidence, but on a lack of evidence...that is nothing more than worshiping your own ignorance.

There are plenty of worthy mysteries to be learned in the real world.  The sooner you can set aside the imaginary ones, the sooner you can reach a stage worthy of the human intellect.

This is a very good post and so true.  Most people do not understand how commercially viable evolutionary theory is.  Not to mention without it there would be no modern medicine.

#109    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,578 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

View Postdanielost, on 19 June 2013 - 04:05 AM, said:

No, maybe you should learn to read.  I said big bang said what you highlighted.
You've got a short memory, you said "The big bang and genesis chapter one say the samething."

So prove it.

#110    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,826 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 19 June 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

You've got a short memory, you said "The big bang and genesis chapter one say the samething."

So prove it.

The first thing to happen in the bible is light is created.

The first thing that happens in the big bang theory is light is created.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#111    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

View Postdanielost, on 20 June 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

That is disappointing.  It is hardly the first thing -- light doesn't have a chance to even exist until temperatures allow the medium to form atoms and become transparent.  I already told you this before.

#112    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,159 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

View Postdanielost, on 20 June 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

This is incorrect. Genesis 1:2 makes it pretty evident that the Earth was created before the light as "darkness was upon the face of the deep", while the BBT shows the opposite. Light was created well before the earth formed. The two are not the same thing.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#113    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 21,226 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

It also makes it very clear that water was created before light as well.

#114    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

Why so many different spicies of planktons when competition for same resources reduce number of spicies?

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#115    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,159 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

View Postaquatus1, on 20 June 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

It also makes it very clear that water was created before light as well.

True, which leaves danielost with two entirely different claims which can't be reconciled.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#116    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,826 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:16 AM

All you have to do is look up big bang theory.  I would provide links but I can't with this tablet.

Stars cannot form with out the right amoiunt of water.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#117    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,159 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:48 AM

View Postdanielost, on 21 June 2013 - 12:16 AM, said:

All you have to do is look up big bang theory.  I would provide links but I can't with this tablet.

Stars do not require, nor even utilize, water to form:

Stars are born within the clouds of dust and scattered throughout most galaxies. A familiar example of such as a dust cloud is the Orion Nebula, revealed in vivid detail in the adjacent image, which combines images at visible and infrared wavelengths measured by NASA's Hubble Space Telescope and Spitzer Space Telescope. Turbulence deep within these clouds gives rise to knots with sufficient mass that the gas and dust can begin to collapse under its own gravitational attraction. As the cloud collapses, the material at the center begins to heat up. Known as a protostar, it is this hot core at the heart of the collapsing cloud that will one day become a star. Three-dimensional computer models of star formation predict that the spinning clouds of collapsing gas and dust may break up into two or three blobs; this would explain why the majority the stars in the Milky Way are paired or in groups of multiple stars.

As the cloud collapses, a dense, hot core forms and begins gathering dust and gas. Not all of this material ends up as part of a star — the remaining dust can become planets, asteroids, or comets or may remain as dust.

http://science.nasa....orm-and-evolve/

cormac

#118    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 21,226 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:50 AM

View Postdanielost, on 21 June 2013 - 12:16 AM, said:

No, Daniel, not those types of stars.  We are talking about the ones in space, not the ones in the sea.

#119    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:57 AM

One of the common things we see in evolution are species specializing more and more in their environment to one way of life.  This has the benefit of reducing immediate competition and making the given species an expert and hence advantaged in surviving in that niche.

What ensues is a tendency for species to multiply and break into smaller and smaller niches, more and more specifically specialized.

The long-term consequence are of course over-specialized species unable to adapt when change happens.

#120    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 21,226 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:05 AM

View Postthe L, on 20 June 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

Why so many different spicies of planktons when competition for same resources reduce number of spicies?

Earlier, I mentioned how in Africa, a relatively flat, contiguous area with the longest known human population in the world, gave us a perfect example of how non-biological influences, such as social or geographical isolation, could act to prevent evolution.

The ocean is an example of almost the opposite.

The ocean is a place where everything from the smallest protozoan to the largest jellyfish can live and reproduce free from practically all non-biological obstacles (and no obstacles that are not equally distributed among all of them).  Practically all they do is float and reproduce.  Being that evolution is largely driven by reproduction, it stands to reason that with massive numbers comes massive diversity.

I shouldn't say it stands to reason.  It is actually almost custom made for each situation.  At least, when one looks at it from the wrong end.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users