Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

The Theory Of Evolution Explained

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#121    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,903 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

They are just following the liberal montray here.  Lie lie and lie some more until they start believing you.  If that doesdn't work distract them by calling them names or finding faults, like spelling or grammer problem.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#122    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,072 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

You mean, lying about what the Bible says?  It's been written down for a while;  just because you can't remember what it says doesn't mean anyone is lying about it.  Heck, I even quoted it:

Genesis 1
New International Version (NIV)
The Beginning

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

There isn't a lot of grey area here.  In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.  There's no way around it:  the Earth was created at the very beginning, in conjunction with the heavens.  And obviously it had water, because God was hovering over it.  And he didn't get to the stars for another three days.

No lie there.  Nothing but the truth (rather, in this case, the "Truth").

Who has corrected your grammar?  Who has corrected your spelling?  We know that you have trouble typing without making mistakes;  did anyone pause to pick at it, or did they just figure out what you were saying and move forward from there?  Who has called you names?

Who is the liar here, Danielost?

Now faults, yes, indeed, your faults have been pointed out again and again and again.  There is a simple reason for this.

You refuse to correct them.

How many dozens of people have flat out told you that what you describe evolution is not evolution?  People who have never met you before, listening to you for the first time, and yet still telling you that your description is wrong.  How many times have all of us given you links, explanations, examples, pretty much everything that can be done through the internet, and yet, you continue insisting that your description is what evolution is?

You don't know what evolution is.  You will continue to hear that as long as you refuse to acknowledge that.  To describe evolution the way you do is misdeception.  That is just a different sort of lying.  Why are you doing this to yourself?  Surrounding yourself with lies, and blaming everyone other than yourself for them?  The worst place you can be is in the middle of your own strawman.  Those things never end up well.

Edited by aquatus1, 21 June 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#123    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,797 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

View Postdanielost, on 21 June 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

They are just following the liberal montray here.  Lie lie and lie some more until they start believing you.  If that doesdn't work distract them by calling them names or finding faults, like spelling or grammer problem.
No one has believed you yet.

#124    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,194 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

They are just following the liberal montray here.  Lie lie and lie some more until they start believing you.  

You come off a bit paranoid...

Anyhoo...

In general ( to share my own thoughts ..Not aiming at anyone in particular ) ...Sometimes through life, we come across people who have been heavily influenced by others ( some ref to it as brainwashed ) that they are told of those who are in fact better educated in the field ( including self educated )  and hold more understanding, they are the ones who are full of satans lies..These individuals soak it up and beleive every word, because it is the easiest way around it.... You usually will find that from people who have little to no understanding and are more willing to take the easy way around it. ..........I like this quote - ."If you give a lazy person a job, they will show you a quick way of doing it by cutting corners."
That means going for the simpler explanation route, rather than full on nose to the book and learning more route..The short cut V's the long road home, only difference is, the short cut can lead you to dead ends..  A lot of these people who like to lay a heavy load of influence to others ( again also known as brainwashing by many  )  claiming god did it, and the science folk are satans spawn... These people generally are the ones who fear education more, and they favour taking the lazy road..

Most people are not stupid, but many can be lazy and lack the interest in learning more,those are the short cutters, go for the easiest form of understanding rather than put some effort in and try and learn something..  Pride takes over - These same individuals are filled with pride that even when they find they do not understand certain things read  ( like in a science book) they will not ask for help, this results to their own downfall and makes people think they are stupid.. BUT it is really a result of pride and laziness.  

Then we have the ID ( intelligent Design )  supporters...These are people who don't want to be seen as one who will take a short cut and latch themselves on to others, who will gladly just run with -" Hey God did it, with god anything is possible" theory." . NO... They have a bit more pride than that.....They put a bit more effort into it, to make their creationist ideas look more scientific, and that will look much better than the old- God did it, we accept it bunch...  In the end, it is still creationism only a stronger taste to it, and they call it 'science' !!

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 21 June 2013 - 02:10 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#125    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

Creation science is no more science than is Cristian Science.

#126    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

A problem with using Occam's Razor (given a choice of explanations, adopt the simplest) is that hardly anything is ever simple.  Often things look simple from a great distance but when you get closer resolve into a mass of detail.

I approve of hiring lazy employees if they are also smart and do find better and faster ways of getting things done -- it's called "working smart."  Often though the lazy ones are too lazy to think about it and just do what they are told the way they are told.

#127    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,072 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 21 June 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

...Sometimes through life, we come across people who have been heavily influenced by others ( some ref to it as brainwashed ) that they are told of those who are in fact better educated in the field ( including self educated )  and hold more understanding, they are the ones who are full of satans lies..

I do agree with the general sentiment, but I don't limit it to religious views.  I do find that, in the US at least, children's media has a great deal of influence over the character growth of children, particularly considering the greater and greater amounts of time, parents are using it as a distraction while they attend to other concerns (or to just get a bit of a break during the day).  In and of itself, I don't find that to be a problem; the problem is that most children's cartoons in the US have been unashamedly anti-intellectual.  They celebrate stupidity.  The smartest student in class is usually also the most socially (and physically) awkward as well.  The physically handicapped are only accepted when they demonstrate a talent equal to, or more often, exceeding that, of a regularly-abled child.  The problem isn't that the main characters are average (they usually tend toward the lower end);  The problem is that anyone who is above average is seen as exceptional, to the point of simply not being able to function as a part of regular society.

In all honesty, "My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic", is probably the first children's cartoon in the past couple of decades to not be a deliberate insult to the intellect.  People have a tendency to forget that we, as a species, have not stopped evolving, and that intelligence is every bit as much an evolutionary trait as anything else.  Humans have the advantage, and disadvantage, of being able to become what we select ourselves to be.

Most people are not stupid, but many can be lazy and lack the interest in learning more,those are the short cutters, go for the easiest form of understanding rather than put some effort in and try and learn something..  Pride takes over - These same individuals are filled with pride that even when they find they do not understand certain things read  ( like in a science book) they will not ask for help, this results to their own downfall and makes people think they are stupid.. BUT it is really a result of pride and laziness.

Ironically, some people take so much pride in their laziness that they refuse to put in the work to change their ways.  That's sort of understandable, I suppose, but that doesn't make it good.

View PostFrank Merton, on 21 June 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

A problem with using Occam's Razor (given a choice of explanations, adopt the simplest) is that hardly anything is ever simple.  Often things look simple from a great distance but when you get closer resolve into a mass of detail.

Ehhh...careful with that.

Occam's Razor isn't quite that hard and fast a rule.  It isn't a rule at all, actually.  Occam's Razor states that among competing explanations, the one with the fewest assumptions is probably the correct one.  Inherently, we can infer that this also means that the simplest explanation is not always the correct one (something skeptics sometimes forget), and also that not all explanations are competitive (something that believers always forget).

#128    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,194 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

View Postaquatus1, on 21 June 2013 - 09:46 PM, said:

I do agree with the general sentiment, but I don't limit it to religious views.  I do find that, in the US at least, children's media has a great deal of influence over the character growth of children, particularly considering the greater and greater amounts of time, parents are using it as a distraction while they attend to other concerns (or to just get a bit of a break during the day).  In and of itself, I don't find that to be a problem; the problem is that most children's cartoons in the US have been unashamedly anti-intellectual.  They celebrate stupidity.  The smartest student in class is usually also the most socially (and physically) awkward as well.  The physically handicapped are only accepted when they demonstrate a talent equal to, or more often, exceeding that, of a regularly-abled child.  The problem isn't that the main characters are average (they usually tend toward the lower end);  The problem is that anyone who is above average is seen as exceptional, to the point of simply not being able to function as a part of regular society.

In all honesty, "My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic", is probably the first children's cartoon in the past couple of decades to not be a deliberate insult to the intellect.  People have a tendency to forget that we, as a species, have not stopped evolving, and that intelligence is every bit as much an evolutionary trait as anything else.  Humans have the advantage, and disadvantage, of being able to become what we select ourselves to be.

I see your point ( the broader picture ) indeed, it shouldn't be limited, as we can see this sort of thing in all aspects of life..

Ironically, some people take so much pride in their laziness that they refuse to put in the work to change their ways.  That's sort of understandable, I suppose, but that doesn't make it good.

I agree it doesn't make it good...

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 22 June 2013 - 11:44 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#129    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,957 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

Posted Image

note 'understanding' ... not embracing ...

~

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#130    Odin11

Odin11

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

No one is lying, and the only person calling you names is yourself. Telling people that they don’t understand something is not calling people names, nor is it insulting.

And I should have known that you would completely ignore my post to you, you've done so before and will most likely do it again. I should not have wasted my time.

Edit to add: This is from answersingenesis.org
I figured you would listen to them over any of us. Blue text is me.

There are those who argue that Genesis 1 is a simplified account of evolution. But such a hypothesis does not stand up to scrutiny. A quick look at the order of the events in Genesis 1 and in evolution shows this (see chart below1). The order of events is quite different, and the Genesis account of creation bears no relation to the evolutionary account of origins. ( Evoltion says nothing about the origins of life or the universe)

Evolution

Sun before earth
Dry land before sea
Atmosphere before sea
Sun before light on earth
Stars before earth
Earth at same time as planets
Sea creatures before land plants
Earthworms before starfish
Land animals before trees
Death before man
Thorns and thistles before man
TB pathogens & cancer before man (dinosaurs had TB and cancer)
Reptiles before birds
Land mammals before whales
Land mammals before bats
Dinosaurs before birds
Insects before flowering plants
Sun before plants
Dinosaurs before dolphins
Land reptiles before pterosaurs

Genesis

Earth before sun
Sea before dry land
Sea before atmosphere
Light on earth before sun
Earth before stars
Earth before other planets
Land plants before sea creatures
Starfish before earthworms
Trees before land animals
Man before death
Man before thorns and thistles
Man before TB pathogens and cancer
Birds before reptiles
Whales before land animals
Bats before land animals
Birds before dinosaurs
Flowering plants before insects
Plants before sun
Dolphins before dinosaurs
Pterosaurs before land reptiles

Edited by Odin11, 23 June 2013 - 07:16 AM.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#131    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:58 AM

It's hard to tell someone they don't understand something when their incomprehension is blatantly obvious to you.  They are bound to be offended.

One consolation may be that you tried and maybe someday it will dawn on them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users