Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

The Theory Of Evolution Explained

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#31    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

View PostKowalski, on 15 June 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

I don't understand why everyone is getting so bent out of shape about my views and opinions. People are allowed to think differently, and have different opinions.....
If you don't like my views, then that's just too bad. I could care less, and I don't feel the need to defend them.

Disagreeing with you is not getting "bent out of shape". Feel free to not defend your opinion. That's your right. But there's no need to get annoyed when someone counters it.

That's kinda what these boards are all about.

#32    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,570 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostThe Lone Ranger, on 15 June 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

If you read the discussion all the posts have to do with evolution (except the one where we are wining about correct language on a mysteries forum)
Which is a sure sign you don't know what evolution is. I'll give you a hint, your video in the OP isn't evolution. So like I said, take heed of your own damn advice.

#33    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,818 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

Posted Image

hiya sweeties ... come a little closer ...

~

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#34    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,570 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostKowalski, on 15 June 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

I don't understand why everyone is getting so bent out of shape about my views and opinions. People are allowed to think differently, and have different opinions.....
If you don't like my views, then that's just too bad. I could care less, and I don't feel the need to defend them.
I don't understand why people complain when corrected, but then I don't give a ****.

Edited by Rlyeh, 15 June 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#35    The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 15 June 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

"The accountant and the lawyer is coming" tells me, with the singular verb, that the accountant and the lawyer are the same person. The same thing with a "they" and a singular verb.

I have no doubt English literature is full of other uses, but I also think it behooves us to generally but not rigidly follow the rules. Not doing so can interfere with understanding and can cause at least some people to judge us as not worth listening to, and after all that's the only reasonable reason for posting.

I guess you are right.

The main focus here is the message, i don`t think we should be negative toward faulty grammar but rather give advice and be kind. especially when i only ask a question for the reason of that usage of language

View PostRlyeh, on 15 June 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Which is a sure sign you don't know what evolution is. I'll give you a hint, your video in the OP isn't evolution. So like I said, take heed of your own damn advice.

Evolution is the change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations. Evolutionary processes give rise to diversity at every level of biological organisation, including species, individual organisms and molecules such as DNA and proteins.[
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
I understand what it means. perhaps you can enlighten me with what you think it is, as you seem to be confident to know what it is and i`m wrong.

Preview

Full  documentary

Life is not a continuum of pleasant choices, but of inevitable problems that call for strength, determination, and hard work  - Indian Proverb

#36    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,570 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

View PostThe Lone Ranger, on 15 June 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

I understand what it means. perhaps you can enlighten me with what you think it is, as you seem to be confident to know what it is and i`m wrong.
Quoting the Wiki doesn't mean you understand it. I've explained why you're wrong, your video in OP is not evolution.
Have you got that? It's like I'm talking to a brick wall.

That idiot Stein doesn't know what evolution is either (apparently it is meant to explain the origin of gravity), so I'm not sure why you're posting his video.

Edited by Rlyeh, 15 June 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#37    The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 15 June 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

Quoting the Wiki doesn't mean you understand it. I've explained why you're wrong, your video in OP is not evolution.
Have you got that? It's like I'm talking to a brick wall.

That idiot Stein doesn't know what evolution is either (apparently it is meant to explain the origin of gravity), so I'm not sure why you're posting his video.

I don`t see how saying im wrong explains why im wrong.
Please teach us what evolution is according to you.

Life is not a continuum of pleasant choices, but of inevitable problems that call for strength, determination, and hard work  - Indian Proverb

#38    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,570 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostThe Lone Ranger, on 15 June 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

By us you mean you and Kowalski? You seem to be the only two posting ignorant videos.

Biological evolution is genetic change in population of organisms.

http://evolution.ber...le/0_0_0/evo_02

#39    The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 15 June 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

By us you mean you and Kowalski? You seem to be the only two posting ignorant videos.

Biological evolution is genetic change in population of organisms.

http://evolution.ber...le/0_0_0/evo_02

Thank you, however it seems that is exactly the text i quoted from wikipedia. It seems like my understanding was correct. Thank you for posting the link

#40    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• 1,553 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

View PostThe Lone Ranger, on 15 June 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

Hi LR,

There are no end of resources available to learn about evolution. But seeing as you brought up Ben Stein, this is a good site that exposes his disingenuous tactics and outright dishonesty:

http://www.expelledexposed.com/

And it's probably more relevant to some of the things you were saying.

Edited by Arbenol68, 15 June 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#41    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:06 AM

View PostArbenol68, on 15 June 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

Disagreeing with you is not getting "bent out of shape". Feel free to not defend your opinion. That's your right. But there's no need to get annoyed when someone counters it.

That's kinda what these boards are all about.

You are completely free to disagree with me. No problems here with that.....
:)

I just don't want to be called simple or feeble minded, because I have a different viewpoint is all. I like everyone having a different viewpoint, or opinion on matters. It makes life interesting! And helps me learn new things I couldn't have learned anywhere else...

Edited by Kowalski, 16 June 2013 - 04:07 AM.

#42    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,530 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:15 AM

You guys will fight over anything.  As for the title, evolution cannot explain mammals.  According to info posted by an evolutionist, the earliest mammals were producing milk.  Not water to keep their eggs wet.  Whih their eggs wouldn't need if they evoved from reptiles.  As I have said, in order fo evolution to be true, in one generation the reptile young which ould take care of itself, to one that needed mom to feed it milk and be generally unable to take care of itself.

One other thing I am having problems with.  Humans are supposed to have a large brain because our ancesters ate meat.  If this is true why don'tsome of the carnivores have a large brain.  They have a brain the size needed to be what they are.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you. http://fremerica.freeforums.net/

#43    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:13 AM

Humans evolved large brains because they ate meat.  Now that's a new one to me.  Which pre-humans ate meat?  It sounds to me like something some creationist invented so they could refute it.

#44    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• 1,553 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:20 AM

View PostKowalski, on 16 June 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

You are completely free to disagree with me. No problems here with that.....
:)

I just don't want to be called simple or feeble minded, because I have a different viewpoint is all. I like everyone having a different viewpoint, or opinion on matters. It makes life interesting! And helps me learn new things I couldn't have learned anywhere else...

As far as I can see, I'm the only poster who has used the words "feeble minded". I hope you didn't think I was referring to you. Take a another look at my post. I was talking about people who would misuse religion or science to justify dangerous ideologies.

Hope that clears it up.

#45    Odin11

Odin11

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

View Postdanielost, on 16 June 2013 - 04:15 AM, said:

You guys will fight over anything.  As for the title, evolution cannot explain mammals.  According to info posted by an evolutionist, the earliest mammals were producing milk.  Not water to keep their eggs wet.  Whih their eggs wouldn't need if they evoved from reptiles.  As I have said, in order fo evolution to be true, in one generation the reptile young which ould take care of itself, to one that needed mom to feed it milk and be generally unable to take care of itself.

The change from reptiles to mammals happened over millions of years, not in one generation. Evolution does not say that a reptile gave birth to a mammal, nor do any evolutionist. Modern species don't evolve into other modern species, and I think this is where you keep getting stuck. You keep thinking of modern reptiles and mammals, not their ancestors.

In the evolutionary view there is a series of intermediate animals connecting reptiles to mammals, every one of them would have been placed in exactly the same species as its immediate neighbors on either side in the long sliding continuum. Every one of the series was the child of its neighbor on one side and the parent of its neighbor on the other.

If we lined up the generations from reptiles to mammals and walk back in time along the line we’ll eventually notice that the ancient mammals we are passing are just a little bit different from the modern mammals we are used to. But the rate of change will be so slow that we would not notice the trend from generation to generation, just as we can’t see the motion of the hour hand of watches, and just as we can’t see a child growing, we can only see later that they have become a teenager, and later still an adult.

View Postdanielost, on 16 June 2013 - 04:15 AM, said:

One other thing I am having problems with.  Humans are supposed to have a large brain because our ancesters ate meat.  If this is true why don'tsome of the carnivores have a large brain.  They have a brain the size needed to be what they are.

Eating meat only helped us by adding another source of nutrients. Meat is not the only reason for larger brains; some recent studies suggest that sociality has played a key role in the evolution of larger brain size among dogs. Detailed analysis of the evolutionary history of carnivores documents at least six separate changes in brain sizes for the group, suggesting that the story of brain size increase is far more complex than previously assumed.

Edited by Odin11, 16 June 2013 - 05:48 AM.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users