Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cancelled shows..............

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 12,362 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 14 June 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

I know it's years old now, but I'm still really really annoyed that they cancelled Firefly after only 13 episodes and a movie.  That was one of the greatest shows of all time.

More recently, they've cancelled Eureka.  That was a bummer because that also was one of my favourites.

To the OP, I think Fringe had slowly run its course.  It was one of my favourite shows, but after a while it just began to feel like the X-Files - very little forward momentum in story, throwing up more questions than answers, that kind of thing.

The Adventures of Merlin was also cancelled after 5 seasons just last year, but I think they did the right thing with that one and ended the series properly, with an actual end rather than a Cliffhanger.
My g/f recently acquainted me with 'Firefly' on Netflix and we watched the season and 'Serenity' together over the past few weeks.  I can understand the outrage when its cancellation was announced.   What I can't understand is why whoever's got the production rights locked up didn't pull the strings to bring it back on TV.   Maybe ratings were somewhat an issue at first due to the slow start, but after the fan base realized what it was missing and felt  starved for a year or two it would have been one of the most sizzling shows on TV.   Amazon's got Firefly on sale for like $13...worth every penny.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#17    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,842 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:05 AM

Farscape

It was areal tragedy when they cancelled it. But it got at least 4 long seasons and a full movie to tie up the whole show.
I haven't seen any other series even coming close to the makeup and masks, of the different species, on this show.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by EllJay, 27 June 2013 - 04:08 AM.

"Opinions are like a**holes - everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#18    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,079 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

And let's not forget that Farscape was a low budget Australian independent production. I loved this show, and glad that people still lament its cancellation. I should have mentioned it in my first post, but overlooked it for some unknown reason. Farscape was pure genius :yes:

Edited by Paranoid Android, 02 July 2013 - 05:43 AM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#19    RavenEyes19

RavenEyes19

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:35 AM

Firefly and Freaks and Geeks are my favorite cancelled shows. They were both fantastic and barely got a chance. Neither even got a full season.
I also liked The 4400 (was so p***ed when this was cancelled, I think it got the ax just before its final season) Veronica Mars, Carnivale, Dead Like Me, Primeval, and this British show called Survivors. I enjoyed Fringe, but I was fine with it ending after 5 years. It had a good run.

#20    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:17 AM

Firefly was a favourite.  They are ending Dexter to.  Smallville is one of my most favourite shows and call me what you want.  I thought it was criminal when it ended when it did.  It had finally developed from the angsty teen stuff which brought it down and started getting into a dark and serious show.  Season Nine of smallville was the best, Callum Blue was superb.  They should have just made a spin off instead of flying it under the flag of 'smallville' because by the time it became a serious thought provoking show.  It had a stigma about it.

#21    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostRavenEyes19, on 30 June 2013 - 02:35 AM, said:

Firefly and Freaks and Geeks are my favorite cancelled shows. They were both fantastic and barely got a chance. Neither even got a full season.
I also liked The 4400 (was so p***ed when this was cancelled, I think it got the ax just before its final season) Veronica Mars, Carnivale, Dead Like Me, Primeval, and this British show called Survivors. I enjoyed Fringe, but I was fine with it ending after 5 years. It had a good run.

I loved firefly ,but whedon stole the entire premise from an old Full Moon productions movie called Oblivion .
If no one knows,Full Moon ,aka Charles Band ,are the ones who gave us Subspecies ,Puppet Master ,and Trancers.
Oblivion was made in the early 90s ,predating firefly by at least a decade ,and the story lines are very similiar .
Whedon has very few original ideas if you ask me ,but he repackaged it all quite well .

And Freaks and Geeks was awesome. It so sucked when it was cancelled,especially when it won an Emmy ,after it was cancelled .
It's fun to see so many present day mega stars as kids though .So many huge people got their start on F+G

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 02 July 2013 - 02:03 PM.

Miss me?

#22    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,758 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

Firefly was one of my favorites.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#23    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,324 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

I remember being pretty bummed when they took BJ and the Bear off too. :D

Posted Image

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#24    Virot Maglan

Virot Maglan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 114 posts

• "Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine." - Sir Arthur Eddington

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

I always thought Surface desereved another chance. I thought it was a great show.

"Don't let your mind wander--it might not come back."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users