Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

[Merged] How marine mammals hold their breath

marine mammals breath oxygen myoglobin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,326 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

Scientists say they have solved the mystery of one of the most extreme adaptations in the animal kingdom: how marine mammals store enough oxygen to hold their breath for up to an hour.

The team studied myoglobin, an oxygen-storing protein in mammals' muscles and found that, in whales and seals, it has special "non-stick" properties.

This allowed the animals to pack huge amounts of oxygen into their muscles without "clogging them up".

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-22853482

Posted Image

#2    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

Scientists from the University of Liverpool have published research that explains how marine mammals, including seals and whales, hold their breath for so long.

The research reveals how the oxygen-storing capacity of mammals muscles has been changed by millions of years of evolution.

The videos above show how a highly trained free-diver compares in breath-holding ability to a common seal.

And here we explore some of the most extreme examples of breath-holding in the animal kingdom and how they match up with record-breaking human free-divers.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#3    coolguy

coolguy

Poltergeist

• 2,393 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:48 AM

My pet conure holds his breath when he takes his bath lol

Also tagged with marine mammals, breath, oxygen, myoglobin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users