Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Republican Jesus™


  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46    DeWitz

DeWitz

    DeWitz

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • Joined:11 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Niagara Frontier

  • "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 17 June 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

Totally agree. Even in the bare-knuckles context of US party politics, the talking point "if you oppose Obamas politics, you are racist" is beyond the pale.

I am astonished to see this kind of intellectual garbage appearing here.

Do you recall W. pontificating, "If yer not fer us, yer wi' da terrists!" and a majority of his followers screaming, "If you don't support the war you're unpatriotic!"???

How soon we forget. Bush got a pass and countless waves of the flag for US state terrorism in Iraq. Yes, there are many Americans who won't wave that same flag for an African-American president, and of that number many do in fact name his race (which, by the way, is mixed--like all the rest of us) as a factor. The fact that there is "no such thing as a pure racial strain" (Bruce Cockburn, Canadian singer-songwriter-guitarist) should give us Americans even more pause to rethink our analyses--cereberally, and not anally.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#47    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

    ????????

  • 28,287 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NSW Mid-North Coast

  • Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:39 AM

View Postszentgyorgy, on 17 June 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

Actually, Para, you didn't say it that way. You said the claim is "ridiculous," implying that you don't believe it. "Ridiculous" can also denote something which is laughable; unworthy of credulity. However you cut it, millions of people believe that racism plays a significant role in the criticism of President Obama. Whether or not you have "met" them is immaterial. You know they exist.

Millions of people exist who deny the Holocaust.

Sadly, I have met a couple of them.

Had I not met them, they would still exist, I would know of them and would still disagree with their execrable nonsense. I might even find it ridiculous.
Maybe you need to go back and re-read my post.  Show me where I said the claim was "ridiculous".  I have searched through all my posts in this thread (including the ones after this comment), and not once have I used that word.  What I said was:

View PostParanoid Android, on 17 June 2013 - 12:15 AM, said:

all I can say is that I've never met a Christian who adheres to the teachings of Republican Jesus™.  Must be an American thing.
All I can say is that I've never met a Christian who adheres to the teachings of Republican Jesus™.  It doesn't mean they don't exist, it just means I've never met one.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#48    DeWitz

DeWitz

    DeWitz

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • Joined:11 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Niagara Frontier

  • "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 18 June 2013 - 01:39 AM, said:

Maybe you need to go back and re-read my post.  Show me where I said the claim was "ridiculous".  I have searched through all my posts in this thread (including the ones after this comment), and not once have I used that word.  What I said was:

All I can say is that I've never met a Christian who adheres to the teachings of Republican Jesus™.  It doesn't mean they don't exist, it just means I've never met one.

You are correct, Para---I apologize for my error. I was quoting someone else's exclamation and confused it with your quote. My bad. Sometimes it gets real hot in this here cauldron.

But no excuses. I'm sorry I misquoted you. Take care,

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#49    Papagiorgio

Papagiorgio

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • Joined:17 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Philadelphia PA

  • I'm just saying.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

View Posteight bits, on 16 June 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

Back in the 60's, Jesus was a Democrat. He touted Civil Rights, and opposed the war in Viet-Nam. I think he did some serious weed, too.

But hey, we all grow up. Can't be a hippie weirdoh all your life. Word is, he got a job (advertising, I think). He took one look at how much taxes were withheld from his pay check, and he became a Republican on the spot. He also thanked himself that he didn't have to pay union dues on top of that.

As to one of the lesser issues, Of course, he's white -  he's half Irish. On his father's side.
The Democrats (Kennedy and Johnson) were the ones who escalated the Vietnam War not the Republicans. 10,000 hippies protested the 1968 Democratic National Convention.
@ChloeB: The Republicans (Lincoln) were the Northern Aggressors in the civil war. So Republican Jesus didn't let them lose, if anything he helped them win.

I'm just saying.

#50    DeWitz

DeWitz

    DeWitz

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • Joined:11 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Niagara Frontier

  • "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostPapagiorgio, on 18 June 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

The Democrats (Kennedy and Johnson) were the ones who escalated the Vietnam War not the Republicans. 10,000 hippies protested the 1968 Democratic National Convention.
@ChloeB: The Republicans (Lincoln) were the Northern Aggressors in the civil war. So Republican Jesus didn't let them lose, if anything he helped them win.

Papa, that's the point about the scuffed lines of demarcation in the 60's--the Democrats were eating their own, starting with LBJ's hatred of JFK, expanding to the cannibalism of the Democratic party---RFK to "Clean Gene" McCarthy to '4 dead in Ohio' and more at Jackson State to the McGovern/Eagleton-oops-McGovern/Shriver debacle. The 60's produced strange bedfellows and the era continues to resist easy analysis to this day.

As for the Republican War to Preserve the Union, anybody who can read or go to the movies or video shop can figure out that the Republican Party of the Civil War and Reconstruction has as much in common with today's 'GOP' as slave-owning Southern democrats of the 1860's and democrat racists and segregationists through the 1960's have in common with Jesse Jackson and Barack Obama. History proves that the words "democrat" and "republican" are facile, malleable and subject to constant change and interpretation.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#51    Papagiorgio

Papagiorgio

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • Joined:17 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Philadelphia PA

  • I'm just saying.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

View Postszentgyorgy, on 18 June 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

Papa, that's the point about the scuffed lines of demarcation in the 60's--the Democrats were eating their own, starting with LBJ's hatred of JFK, expanding to the cannibalism of the Democratic party---RFK to "Clean Gene" McCarthy to '4 dead in Ohio' and more at Jackson State to the McGovern/Eagleton-oops-McGovern/Shriver debacle. The 60's produced strange bedfellows and the era continues to resist easy analysis to this day.

As for the Republican War to Preserve the Union, anybody who can read or go to the movies or video shop can figure out that the Republican Party of the Civil War and Reconstruction has as much in common with today's 'GOP' as slave-owning Southern democrats of the 1860's and democrat racists and segregationists through the 1960's have in common with Jesse Jackson and Barack Obama. History proves that the words "democrat" and "republican" are facile, malleable and subject to constant change and interpretation.
Strange bedfellows, but some kick butt music.
Obviously the political parties in the 19th century are going to be different, but the OP is associating the American Civil War, and the Vietnam war with Republicans. Which is inaccurate, and dishonest.

I'm just saying.

#52    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

    ????????

  • 28,287 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NSW Mid-North Coast

  • Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

View Postszentgyorgy, on 18 June 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

You are correct, Para---I apologize for my error. I was quoting someone else's exclamation and confused it with your quote. My bad. Sometimes it gets real hot in this here cauldron.

But no excuses. I'm sorry I misquoted you. Take care,
Totally understandable.  I've made similar mistakes of my own.  Both in terms of misquoting others, and also in misunderstanding others (the latter usually a result of severe drunkenness on my part after watching some random football match or other).  Whatever the case, I understand your point and accept your error (as noted, it happens to the best of us, myself included).

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users