Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How Many Cryptids Do You Think Really Exist?

cryptozoology polls

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: How Many Cryptids Do You Think Really Exist? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

How Many Cryptids Do You Think Really Exist?

1. 0 (9 votes [31.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.03%

2. 1-5 (12 votes [41.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.38%

3. 6-20 (3 votes [10.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

4. 21-50 (1 votes [3.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

5. 50 or more (2 votes [6.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

6. All of them (2 votes [6.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

How many cryptids do you think really exist? I chose 1-5, because there is bound to be at least one cryptid out there that is real. If you have any cryptids in mind that you think can be real, you can post what they are.

Edited by Supersquatch, 16 June 2013 - 08:05 PM.

Posted Image

#2    Star Sister

Star Sister

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

• Be a navigator of your own reality...

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

There are so many reports in the world of unknown creatures that I don't doubt the existence of any of them. How could so many people be wrong, when there are even groups of people reporting sightings.

Stardust left me blind but my third eye opened wide and reality sank into my subconscious and I was awakened to find we are all one mind.

#3    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,311 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

judging by the "sightings" in various parts of America/Canada, there hss to be a lot,unless 2 or 3 do a patrol from 1 state/country to another every few weeks.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#4    danbell06

danbell06

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

• BNAG.... < That's Bang out of order!

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 16 June 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

judging by the "sightings" in various parts of America/Canada, there hss to be a lot,unless 2 or 3 do a patrol from 1 state/country to another every few weeks.
A mackem who lives in Somerset? Have you ever seen a mackem in milan though?

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Posted Image

#5    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,311 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

View Postdanbell06, on 16 June 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

A mackem who lives in Somerset? Have you ever seen a mackem in milan though?
  Never been to Milan,but there,s loads of Geordies working in Saudi Arabia.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#6    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,760 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:53 PM

I voted 0 because there is no real definition  of what exactly a cryptid is.

#7    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 18,856 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:10 AM

Cryptids are not simply "unknown" animals.  Cryptids are "hidden" animals.  As in they are not just hidden from sight, but from pretty much all other means of detection.  

Cryptozoology is generally used to refer to the study of two sorts of creature:  creatures that are incompatible with the environment, and creatures that are out of place and/or time.

The second type of cryptid is not really such a mystery, with the increased access of travel and the unfortunate human predilection of  bringing home strange animals, getting bored of them, and releasing them  into the wild.

It is the first type of cryptid that are the most popular.  Nessie, Bigfoot, et al, these are all creatures that live in defiance of the  laws of nature other animals live at.  For instance, for all the lakes  that seem to have a monster in them, there is nothing to indicate any sort of migration pattern, any sort of biological lineage, or anything else that we would expect to see in an environment.  It's almost like some gigantic overseer with a salt shaker full of crytids sprinkled them liberally all over the world.  The reason these animals are "hidden" is not merely because they cannot be seen (or, apparently, photographed), but because they are hidden at all levels, appearing completely invisible to their environment.  Unlike any other animal, these cryptids could be removed from their environment, and absolutely nothing would change.

In short, I voted zero.

#8    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:13 AM

View Postevancj, on 16 June 2013 - 11:53 PM, said:

Cryptobiology: Cryptozoology and cryptobotany are words derived from the Greek root kryptos, which means "hidden". Zoology and botany being the study of animals and plants, cryptozoology and cryptobotany are the "studies" of "hidden" animals and plants, creatures that remain hidden to science. Fundamentally, they are the studies of animals and plants not even known to exist; creatures such as Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, el Chupacabra and the Kraken. These hidden animals are referred to as cryptids.

Posted Image

#9    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 18,856 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:18 AM

View PostStar Sister, on 16 June 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

There are so many reports in the world of unknown creatures that I don't doubt the existence of any of them. How could so many people be wrong, when there are even groups of people reporting sightings.

Well...think about it this way:

Let's say you have reports of an animal that doesn't fit in the environment, leaves no traces of itself behind, tends to appear only under certain circumstances (usually ones in which positive identification is not possible), and in multiple locations, occasionally around the world, and with no discernable link between any of them asides from the reports by the people.

You have one option, which is to believe that there are animals that can exists without any regard to environment, access, lineage, or resources.

Or, you have the option to believe that you have an animal with a somewhat unique brain, that has shown a proven tendency to create imaginary creatures and fully believe them to be real, even to the point of convincing others with their thoughts and actions that they too experienced these imaginary creatures.

One requires multiple undetectable animals of unprecedented abilities all over the world,

The other requires just one animal, with a particularly powerful imagination.

#10    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:22 AM

View Postaquatus1, on 17 June 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

Well...think about it this way:

Let's say you have reports of an animal that doesn't fit in the environment, leaves no traces of itself behind, tends to appear only under certain circumstances (usually ones in which positive identification is not possible), and in multiple locations, occasionally around the world, and with no discernable link between any of them asides from the reports by the people.

You have one option, which is to believe that there are animals that can exists without any regard to environment, access, lineage, or resources.

Or, you have the option to believe that you have an animal with a somewhat unique brain, that has shown a proven tendency to create imaginary creatures and fully believe them to be real, even to the point of convincing others with their thoughts and actions that they too experienced these imaginary creatures.

One requires multiple undetectable animals of unprecedented abilities all over the world,

The other requires just one animal, with a particularly powerful imagination.

LOL...BRAVO!!!! Sir or Ma'am. You're my hero...
QC

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#11    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,302 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:32 AM

Some sort of vampire, werewolf, lochness, mermaid, dog creature, bigfoot sure why not, um I will be honest I do not KNOW of any criptids but I did see a hell hound once or what someone else called the two legged dogman? Anyway I also have seen spirit cats and a wierd animal that had no fur like a pig, no tail,  only a butthole, had an ant eater type face, it was small and pink skinned and probably nocturnal.I dont think it was a cryptid just something ive never seen before and I dont know if spirit animals even count because im not too familiar with this topic... but I would have to say I believe in dragons...

I voted more than fifty because this universe is large and strange with many hiding places. Not to mention billions of years old...

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#12    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,377 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:20 AM

View Postevancj, on 16 June 2013 - 11:53 PM, said:

View Postaquatus1, on 17 June 2013 - 01:10 AM, said:

Cryptids are not simply "unknown" animals.  Cryptids are "hidden" animals.  As in they are not just hidden from sight, but from pretty much all other means of detection.  
In short, I voted zero.
I suppose that is the question... The number of Cryptids that are discovered will be a function of what is considered a cryptid. At the widest level some rumored creature, like a giant rat, or new kind of monitor lizard, could count as a cryptid, and as such I think there is quite a few that might still be found. Some count currently extinct animals as cryptids, and so perhaps there are couple of those (like the species of whales that were recently rediscovered) that might still be found. If we are only talking about Fantastic and Mystical creatures, then I'd have to vote zero till I see one actually turn up.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#13    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:24 AM

I would say all of them. Just because we haven't explored every square inch of this planet.

#14    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:38 AM

I'm torn between 0 and 1-5. While I'm a skeptic with most (if not all) cryptids, I think that an animal that was reported as a cryptid could be discovered.

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

#15    shrooma

shrooma

Incorrigible Rogue.

• 3,232 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:49 AM

View Postdanbell06, on 16 June 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

A mackem who lives in Somerset?
think about it dan, somerset's CIDER country!!
:-)

sometimes, your signature is worth nothing at all.

Also tagged with cryptozoology, polls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users