Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

my view on hunting.

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#31    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,985 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

View Postdanielost, on 17 June 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

Some hunters would say, they do it to keep populations in check.  It would be better to reintroduce predaters into the area if possible.
Here they cull deer to keep their numbers down which to me is a form of hunting, but a necessary one, or so they say.... If some had their way we'd have lynx, bears and wolves roaming around the countryside too. I'd rather have too many deer.

Posted Image

#32    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,523 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

Some hunters would say, they do it to keep populations in check.  It would be better to reintroduce predaters into the area if possible.

Yeh - But Danie, another problem for example...is the wolf population has gone down or in some cases, totally eradicated,  Nature tends to balance things out, in the food chain... take away the natural predators and a species can explode. If we do take out the natural predators, then we will have to step in at some point and do what they did. People may moan at culling/hunting of deer, but they moan a whole lot more with packs of wolves in the woods..

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#33    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,458 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

All three of you have good points, and I thought there might be problems.   Which is why I used the words, if possible.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#34    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,458 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:06 PM

View Postseeder, on 17 June 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

Yeh - But Danie, another problem for example...is the wolf population has gone down or in some cases, totally eradicated,  Nature tends to balance things out, in the food chain... take away the natural predators and a species can explode. If we do take out the natural predators, then we will have to step in at some point and do what they did. People may moan at culling/hunting of deer, but they moan a whole lot more with packs of wolves in the woods..

So what do they do to the culled deer throw it away, or help to feed the hungry.  Alaska, uses road kill to help feed the hungry, if possible.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#35    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,523 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

View Postdanielost, on 17 June 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

So what do they do to the culled deer throw it away, or help to feed the hungry.  Alaska, uses road kill to help feed the hungry, if possible.

Id like to think some of it goes to the Zoo's where the lions/tigers etc gets fed real game meat. I dont think it gets wasted, well I hope not. I have friends in Europe who shoot elks/moose, they say one elk can feed many families for months and all have freezers full in hunting season

anyway heres a story on the UK problem

Deer cull: why half of Britain's 1.5 million animals must die

http://www.theweek.c...nimals-must-die

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#36    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:43 AM

View Postdanielost, on 17 June 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

that depends on what state your in /  some give it to charities, some give it to food banks, some places they feed it to zoo animals,  some  just toss it. here in Wa. Most road kill is tossed, while most culling is given to a charity ..... wish they would give me some... I wouldn't need to hunt for it

#37    trancelikestate

trancelikestate

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

View Postseeder, on 16 June 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

can we exclude scary house spiders from that please? :yes:

spiders are our friends. I don't understand why everyone is so afraid of them and insist on killing them when they are indoors.

#38    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,145 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

That was done....

We killed Wolves off, then re-introduced them, now are killing them again....And it p***es me off.

Check my signature link.....

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#39    trancelikestate

trancelikestate

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

View Postdanielost, on 16 June 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

My view on hunting is if you need to do it go ahead.  But, if you can go to the store and buy hamberger don't do it.  If you have to hunt for fun use a digatol camera.  In my view hunting for sport is wrong, for food it is ok.  But, only if you can't buy food.

I don't agree in killing purely for sport but there are many types of meats that cant be bought in the average supermarket. Wild meat also has a better taste (IMO). Also most animal suffering happens because of store bought meat. By buying meat from the store instead of hunting your own, your supporting that suffereing. And why exactly do you put a lower value on the lives of captive animals over wild ones? Personally I think the opposite of you. We should be stocking wild herds and hunting what we need. If you can't kill and clean your own meat, you shouldn't eat meat. Killing is quite a brutal process but needs to be done in order for us to consume meat, most of society has become extreamly disassociated with this fact. Personally I think there would be alot more vegetarians in the world, probally for the better.

Edited by trancelikestate, 18 June 2013 - 11:06 AM.

#40    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

View Posttrancelikestate, on 18 June 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

spiders are our friends. I don't understand why everyone is so afraid of them and insist on killing them when they are indoors.
shoulder launched laws rockets are the only acceptable  weapon for hunting spiders yes there is a story in there somewhere but not for this thread

#41    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,523 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

View Posttrancelikestate, on 18 June 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

Spider are our friends eh? Even the ones with neuro toxins which attack the central nervous system and can cause seizures, strokes, heart attacks, aneurisms, foaming at the mouth, muscle spasms...to name a few lovely side effects..

The point I made was about not killing something unless you will eat it after!! hence why I said can we exclude spiders from the list, as I dont want to ever eat one

#42    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,958 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

My wife would catch and release outdoors almost any critter that got in the house, including locusts (the locusts in Vietnam are big and ugly but don't form swarms so that are tolerable) and crickets and spiders and even centipedes (don't ever let yourself be stung by s SE Asian centipede).

There were a couple of exceptions -- no mercy for houseflies and mosquitoes.

#43    Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

I use to spear, haven't for a long time, we would always go one up one down, and never use scuba and shoot only what was required for food. to use scuba is cheating. Spearing can be dangerous,  always have to be alert for shallow water blackout. These days I just kayak and line fish when i realy need some me time. However if I met another spero buddy I would again, its enjoyable and primal hunting your food, bringing back the dinner,  These guys are having a blast, not for everybody so if your easily upset best don't watch.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=49YI1fHvDbg

#44    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

Vegetarians aside, I never understood the problem people have with hunting for food.  The animals sliced up and packaged in plastic at the supermarket were killed too, ya know? And probably in a worse way, and definitely had a much worse life than the deer running around in the woods.

I personally think that if you eat meat, hunting it yourself is the absolute best way to go. We should support open space preservation and healthy wild animal populations instead of factory farming and food additives and crap.

Embrace the impossible.

#45    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,549 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

View Postdanielost, on 16 June 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

My view on hunting is if you need to do it go ahead.  But, if you can go to the store and buy hamberger don't do it.  If you have to hunt for fun use a digatol camera.  In my view hunting for sport is wrong, for food it is ok.  But, only if you can't buy food.

Thank you for your opinion.

But you know what they say about opinions.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users