Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

my view on hunting.

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#46    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,521 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

I think hunting can be necessary, as in conservation hunting. For a long time, we have removed natural predators, upsetting the balance. So we kind of need to fill that niche we have wiped out. It would be great if we could just let predators be, but then they start doing things like attacking humans or domestic animals... and we just can't put up with that. It's a vicious circle.
In some areas it's not a matter of predator reduction so much as a matter of we introduced a species, threw off the balance, and we need to fill the niche of predator to set things right.

Sport hunting is vile beyond words.

Hunting as in regular ole getting yourself some food hunting I have no problem with depending on the method used. IMO really, there isn't much difference between killing your own food or paying someone else to do it for you. Kind of the same difference as growing your own tomatoes or baking your own bread, or paying someone else to do it for you. The process is a bit different between the two options, but the general result is pretty much the same.

#47    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,776 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

Culling herds can be done professionally with much less harm to the environment that swarms of hunters, and the meat given to charities.  

My main objection to hunting for food, when there are other options, is that the animal is being hunted and experiences this and the shock and pain of the death.  Now this is of course part of nature, but that doesn't make it good and doesn't mean we need to do it.

When animals are raised domestically in safe, clean, comfortable environments and then killed without stress or pain, I think eating meat can be accepted.  Unfortunately this is not the norm, so I generally abstain.

#48    jbondo

jbondo

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hunting of game animals is vital to the survival of species. Unfortunately we have pushed further and further into areas where wildlife used to tread unseen. Now we are in a situation where animal populations have to be managed.

Good and honest hunters/sportmen are the backbone of the longevity of animals and their environment. Not only do hunters thin herds, they also work in the offseason to protect and manage game lands as the other step in keeping species healthy and thriving. Animals are prone to disease just like us and weeding out the weak and diseased can only help the overall strength and health of species. Each square mile can only support so many animals and by not controlling them, they would eventually eat everything available. There are few things more painful than starving to death. It's a slow, horrible process as opposed to a well placed shot that brings instant death. Believe me, if not for this management, you'd see many species disappear.

I always eat what I kill and like many I know, never hunt haphazardly. If we can't take a clean, clear and safe shot, we don't fire. If hunting big game correctly, it should take only one shot in 98% of all cases.

Hunting is extremely regulated with the interest of the animals at the root of the process and abiding by game laws and regulations is vitally important. Hunting is for the good of the animals and the land they live on.

#49    Papagiorgio

Papagiorgio

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

• I'm just saying.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 18 June 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

Culling herds can be done professionally with much less harm to the environment that swarms of hunters, and the meat given to charities.  

My main objection to hunting for food, when there are other options, is that the animal is being hunted and experiences this and the shock and pain of the death.  Now this is of course part of nature, but that doesn't make it good and doesn't mean we need to do it.

When animals are raised domestically in safe, clean, comfortable environments and then killed without stress or pain, I think eating meat can be accepted.  Unfortunately this is not the norm, so I generally abstain.
Prey animals like deer have evolved (or were created if that's your thing) to be hunted. It is more cruel to not hunt them, than it is to hunt them. Since humans are responsible for the removal of these animals predators it is our duty to fulfill that role.

I'm just saying.

#50    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,862 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

Posted Image

nice hat Smokie ...

thanks .... I just got it last week ....it being open season and all ...

`

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#51    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,776 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostPapagiorgio, on 18 June 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

Prey animals like deer have evolved (or were created if that's your thing) to be hunted. It is more cruel to not hunt them, than it is to hunt them. Since humans are responsible for the removal of these animals predators it is our duty to fulfill that role.
I agree that they evolved being hunted, but not that they evolved to be hunted.  I suspect if there were some way for them to choose, they would opt out.  No animal is hunted down without it doing everything it can to stay alive.That animals without natural controls will overpopulate and destroy is common sense, and if culling is the way to deal with this, then it is unavoidable.  Other means of population control could I think be tried.

#52    Papagiorgio

Papagiorgio

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

• I'm just saying.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 18 June 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

I agree that they evolved being hunted, but not that they evolved to be hunted.  I suspect if there were some way for them to choose, they would opt out.  No animal is hunted down without it doing everything it can to stay alive.That animals without natural controls will overpopulate and destroy is common sense, and if culling is the way to deal with this, then it is unavoidable.  Other means of population control could I think be tried.
Here in my part of Pennsylvania deer overpopulation is a big problem. So far hunting is the cheapest and most effective way of culling the herds. Actually the state makes money on hunting. So if you can think of something that is at least as effective, and makes the state money you could probably get rich.

I'm just saying.

#53    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,311 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 18 June 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

A rifle bullet to the brain seems a much easier death, than say the same animal being ran down by a pack of wolves, then ripped to pieces by the wolves until its dead. What will you rather have, animals chase and eat you alive, or a bullet to the brain that you wont even know hit you?

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#54    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,521 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 18 June 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

What other methods of population control than culling/hunting would you suggest?

#55    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

Deer are pretty smart.  Last week did a story on deer in a town(I forget the name).  Any waysthe adult deer have learned to look both ways eore crossing a road, the babies not so much.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#56    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,574 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

I find it so odd that a few people here recognize that culling is necessary in some places and think the food should be give to the needy, but that hunting and eating the deer yourself is wrong. Baffling.

Culling means hunting. People go out and shoot the deer.  And what's the difference between needy people eating it and financially stable people eating it?

Embrace the impossible.

#57    Ratte

Ratte

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

• The slippery are very crafty.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

There is a rule on my property; You kill it, you eat it.

That's how I feel about hunting. As long as you don't let it go to waste.

Posted Image

#58    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:29 PM

View PostRatte, on 18 June 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

There is a rule on my property; You kill it, you eat it.

That's how I feel about hunting. As long as you don't let it go to waste.

You must eat a lot of flies and roaches.

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#59    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

Prey animals have adapted to natural predaters, thus it easier for said animal to avode being eaten.  But, they have no defense from a human who can shot it at 100 yards or better or hiding in a blind or tree perch.

Further the natural hunters can tell a sick or hurt animal most men can't.  This may be that they are only looking at the ten point head.

#60    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 6,073 posts

• I might have been born yesterday
    but, I stayed up all night.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:45 AM

View Postseeder, on 16 June 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

...And I dont care about the pain my tomatoes and cucumber go through when Im hungry!

DON'T BE CRUEL TO A VEGETABUEL
Sung by Leslie Sarony

There's a new society
Called the RSPCV
To protect spring greens
And the garden beans
From undue cruelty.
It's a great and noble task,
And here's what the members ask:

Don't be cruel to a vegetabuel.
Always take its part.
Don't be cruel to a vegetabuel.
Don't forget a lettuce has a heart.
If you please, don't split peas,
Just because they're tasty to the tongue;
And don't forget, when you order brussel sprouts,
You're going to rob a cabbage of its young. :)

Edited by Likely Guy, 19 June 2013 - 12:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users