Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Whitehouse Defending Obama's $100m Trip.

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,985 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:55 AM

wha?    If it's business.. leave the family at home.   Money grows on trees in washington i guess.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#32    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,607 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:49 AM

Pampering Luxurious Obama

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#33    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,471 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:06 AM

View PostYamato, on 21 June 2013 - 02:49 AM, said:

Pampering Luxurious Obama

The opulence is astounding. Walk your own dog, feed your own dog, turn on tv and insert your own DVD and get a cheaper haircut. I could cut his hair. It's a #2. A traveling movie projectionist? Who is he? Madonna? This is not what being president should be about. Leading by example goes a long way towards respect.

Posted Image

#34    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:11 AM

Not only the White House; the entire media alphabet soup (perhaps with the exception of the much-lambasted Fox) is excusing the over-the-top White House spending. If GWB had behaved like this, treating the office like an open-ended invitation for personal fun, we would not hear the end of it.

But there you go.... that is what a 98% democrat voting media corps gets you.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#35    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,267 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:16 AM

Interesting tradeoff -- we want the President to be President, which to me implies opulent living.  After all, consider who the person is.  We also want the President to be totally above the possibility of being bribed.

Of course taxpayers don't want to pay for it.  Perhaps a private charity could be organized, but of course that would include at least some appearance of corruption.

I think the solution is to give the President a really lavish tax-free salary -- tens of millions a year -- and then have the President pay his or her own way.

#36    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,536 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:44 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 21 June 2013 - 04:16 AM, said:

Interesting tradeoff -- we want the President to be President, which to me implies opulent living.  After all, consider who the person is.  We also want the President to be totally above the possibility of being bribed.

Of course taxpayers don't want to pay for it.  Perhaps a private charity could be organized, but of course that would include at least some appearance of corruption.

I think the solution is to give the President a really lavish tax-free salary -- tens of millions a year -- and then have the President pay his or her own way.

Stay in Vietnam my friend.

lol

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#37    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,267 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:47 AM

Off the cuff put-downs are not persuasive arguments against someone's view, and are personally insulting.

#38    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,536 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:49 AM

Look how thick the bullet proof glass is!

Posted Image

#39    NiteMarcher

NiteMarcher

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 318 posts

• Until We Meet Again--Peace, Health & Wealth to You

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:27 AM

Quote:  
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Presidential travel is expensive; the cost of operating Air Force One is about $180,000 per flight hour. President Clinton’s trip to Africa in 1998 cost about $42.8 million. President George W. Bush made two trips to Africa during his two terms, although cost estimates aren’t available for those visits.

Mr. Obama is expected to spend part of the trip emphasizing the importance of global health programs, including HIV/AIDS prevention.

“We have huge interests there,” Mr. Rhodes said. “You’ve got some of the fastest-growing economies in Africa. You’ve got a massively growing youth population. You’ve got key security and counterterrorism issues that we work on with African countries.”

If it cost Clinton 42.8 mil in 1998, it probably cost Mr. Bush way over $100 mil considering he had taken two trips to Africa during
his two year term.  This is 2013, so I guess this estimate would be about right.

Believe what you want and I'll believe whatever I want...it's an open field, and
everyone is given a chance at making a home run...

#40    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,789 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:30 AM

View PostF3SS, on 17 June 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

Well you've to to be rich or live very cheaply to see it all here. I've been here 33 years and haven't seen much. Our castles are very few and far between but I have been to one when I was a kid, Gillette's Castle http://www.ctriverva...tle_state_park/ and I don't remember it much but I'm sure it pales in comparison to the extraordinarily old castles and old history on your side of the ocean. I've been to Canada once though it was only Niagra falls which is hardly what I'd call visiting another country. Florida/Disneyland a few times. I got the hook up and get in for free when I go. Yes, that is awesome. Otherwise I've been to Las Vegas a couple times, Tennessee and a handful of New England states. A few other places but nothing noteworthy. I'd love to visit Europe and my fiancé especially wants to see Ireland but it's so dang expensive not to mention time consuming if you'd want to enjoy it.
Closest thing to a Castle I've ever been in was the Biltmore Estate and home in Asheville, North Carolina.  I recommend it highly.  Especially if you can be there around Thanksgiving or Christmas.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#41    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,789 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:34 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 21 June 2013 - 04:47 AM, said:

Off the cuff put-downs are not persuasive arguments against someone's view, and are personally insulting.
It's common here unfortunately.  I've resorted to it myself a time or two.  But you're correct - it doesn't help in real dialogue.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#42    Realm

Realm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

• "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
    Albert Einstein

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:20 AM

They need to have William Shatner hook them up on Priceline, $100,000,000 is insane.

Those that mistake my meekness for weakness, suddenly find themselves destroyed.

#43    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,267 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:20 AM

What is frustrating is I don't know why he objects to my post, so I am not able to give a reasoned response, not that I'm not aware that what I say sounds "out there," I am serious and don't need knee-jerk remarks that sour everything.

#44    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,267 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:22 AM

View PostRealm, on 21 June 2013 - 06:20 AM, said:

They need to have William Shatner hook them up on Priceline, $100,000,000 is insane.
Yea -- if it were out of the President's salary, things might be approached differently.  This applies to all heads of government.

#45    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,536 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 21 June 2013 - 06:20 AM, said:

What is frustrating is I don't know why he objects to my post, so I am not able to give a reasoned response, not that I'm not aware that what I say sounds "out there," I am serious and don't need knee-jerk remarks that sour everything.

I find your solution comical.  This is why I laughed.    We're talking national budget economics and your solution is to give even more central authority to the executive branch?  When does it stop?  It doesn't.  Corruption is everywhere... even in the best imagined GOV ever imagined.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users