Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Possible time warp...help?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    stars11

stars11

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

I asked this in yahoo! answers and it's pretty long (please be patient), but obviously no one could help.  Thank god for this site though.

Anyway, here's my story and question:
Okay first off, I don't want anyone thinking that I, or any of my family members are weird. I will however clarify that I sleep in the master bedroom and my mom sleeps in my room because she has bad back problems and recently underwent surgery, and my bed is a lot softer and more comfortable for her.   Okay, so here's the story about the odd thing that has happened. I usually listen to music on my smartphone late at night and before I go to sleep. It helps and relaxes me. Well, one night I got up to look in the hallway to see if my mother was still awake. I checked and sure enough, the light under her door was still on and I could hear the t.v. playing in the background. I'm thinking, okay well that answers my question right there. I go back to sit down and listen to music again, only to get up and check a few minutes later. I do this because sometimes she likes to talk to me before she goes to sleep, and then she usually reads her book for about a half hour, turns off the light and goes to sleep. Well, as I get up again, I go to the hallway and see that none of the lights were on. I thought that was a little weird. I'm still thinking this is about 11:15 as I had checked at 11:09 and for some reason I really wanted to remember those times. Still thinking this was too bizarre, I open the bedroom door and asked her if she was ok. She then asks what am I doing. I told her that I thought it was a little bit weird that she wasn't reading or that her light had been on. She then goes on to tell me that she had been asleep for over an hour. I said, "That can't be because I just checked the hallway and saw that you were in the other room about a few minutes ago. I could hear the tv on and everything." I left, looked at the clock in the living room and saw that it was past 12:30. I'm thinking, that can't be right. So strange! This happened for real, too. I didn't doze off while listening to music, or have some sort of psychotic episode, nor did I go off into some sort of trance. My mind is totally normal. Something very strange happened that night. Has anyone ever had something as unusual as this happen before? What could it be? What could've caused it?

#2    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:32 PM

very interesting, not sure why it would be significant but why did you really want to remember those times before the event? and are there any other odd details that you may have left out?

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#3    pj bandit

pj bandit

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 66 posts

• lets start changing the world

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

in the first instance you imply your mother was in her bedroom as you say; 'the light under her door was still on and I could hear the t.v. playing in the background' and then later you imply that she was in another room watching tv and not her bedroom as you say; 'That can't be because I just checked the hallway and saw that you were in the other room about a few minutes ago. I could hear the tv on and everything'. Can you clarify please?

'there's a turd in the punch bowl, i repeat, there is a turd in the punch bowl'

#4    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,864 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

Thread cleaned

Gentle reminder here, please be civil and courteous to other members at all times. Silly one-liners designed to bait will be removed

"You cannot pass," he said. … "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."

#5    BlueBomber

BlueBomber

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

TVs have sleep timers, she very easily could have fallen asleep while watching it.

A skeptical believer.

#6    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,486 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

Before jumping face first into the paranormal.... maybe you should try looking for answers in reality!!

Missing time is often reported as a symptom of multiple personality disorder.

The subject is mistaken about the time, such as a departure time, so that an event seemed to take longer than it actually did.

The memory of the event, real or imagined, is traumatic so that the mind repressesit. The concept and reality of repressed memories is debated among psychoanalysts and scientists, however, and many do not support the concept at all.

The event itself did not happen and the subject instead imagined as part of a hallucinationcaused by drugs or a seizure, or implanted during hypnosis.

Highway hypnosis, or losing track of time while driving and having one's mind distracted.

The person slips into a trance similar to Highway Hypnosis under duress, stress, or similar circumstances in which conscious memories are no longer created; during this time the person can perform normally but have no memory of the actions they performed.

They could experience a case of Hypnagogia with out fully realizing it, similar to how one might doze off in the middle of something and have no recollection of the time between just before falling asleep and awaking.

Time warp my butt.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#7    stars11

stars11

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:10 AM

Well first off, DBunker, I think a multiple personality disorder, or some mental disorder of any kind would have already been diagnosed.  I've had issues with anxiety and mild depression my entire life and analyzed over and over since I was 7 years old.  Something about a personality disorder would have shown up already.  

To PJ Bandit:  What I meant is that I was checking all of the rooms in the hallway.  There are four doors altogether; two bedrooms on one side, the bathroom in the middle, and the master bedroom on the other side.  She was in my bedroom (the left) one because of the reasons I explained above (surgery, back problems, softer bed, etc).  She gets ready to go to sleep i.e. brushing her teeth, removing makeup, etc., in her original room (the master bedroom).  That's what I meant.

To everyone--
I always want to know why things happen and this one really stuck out to me because it was so unusual.  I've just always been like that I guess (wondering, not unusual lol).  I also posted on this site because I feel like I almost have to be careful who I'd tell this to because some people would think I belonged in the nuthouse, or possessed (I'm from Oklahoma, and YES, some people would actual say possessed).  But of course, I strongly beg to differ.

Edited by stars11, 18 June 2013 - 03:16 AM.

#8    BlueBomber

BlueBomber

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

It was not a "time warp", we all lose track of time. I've had times where I swear only 10-15 minutes have passed, but in reality, it's been a half an hour. And vice versa, feel like an hour has passed and it's only been 20 minutes. The latter usually happens at work...

A skeptical believer.

#9    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,625 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

Welcome to UM :st

So the house was dark, your mom had been asleep for over an hour.. And you woke her up to ask her if she was ok? Why didn't you just let her sleep?

IMO, some time slippage is pretty normal, losing track of time. An incident of it probably isn't anything to wonder about. If this was happening regularly it might be cause for concern.

Edited by rashore, 18 June 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#10    stars11

stars11

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

Rashore--
I really asked her if she was okay because she's usually reading at the time (which I thought was the correct time) and thought it was slightly weird that she hadn't been.  Another possibility is that, since she was very alert that day, maybe she skipped reading and went straight to sleep.  But the fact that an hour went by was still on my mind.

After I posted this, I've recently read up on similar incidents with people and time.  Hmm...I guess it's just becoming the norm.

#11    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,424 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

View PostDBunker, on 17 June 2013 - 11:57 PM, said:

The person slips into a trance similar to Highway Hypnosis under duress, stress, or similar circumstances in which conscious memories are no longer created; during this time the person can perform normally but have no memory of the actions they performed.
Highway hypnosis.  Didn't know there was a name for the phenomenon.

I experience that sometimes while out walking.  I have a regular route I take a walk every evening.  I stop off at the same shop on the way.  I regularly arrive at the shop thinking "how the hell did I get here?" having no memory of the journey from leaving home.

Edited by JesseCuster, 18 June 2013 - 07:32 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#12    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,486 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostJesseCuster, on 18 June 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

Highway hypnosis.  Didn't know there was a name for the phenomenon.

Yep.... Not as exiting as alien abduction or time warp, I know.

Maybe that is why lots of people like the paranormal better than the mundane explanations?

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#13    stars11

stars11

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

I'm open to mundane explanations and it could be any one of those that you guys have mentioned.  Just odd because it seemed so unusual.

#14    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,486 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

View Poststars11, on 18 June 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

Just odd because it seemed so unusual.

Thats exactly why some events are called paranormal, because people arent educated enough. I truly believe that every and all paranormal phenomenon could be explained as something mundane if we only had all the information.

As always when it comes to this type of stuff, sufficent information is always the problem. Fantastic stories and blurry pictures is perfect for the mind to run wild.

#15    pj bandit

pj bandit

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 66 posts

• lets start changing the world

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

Hi, I dont think you understand me. You said she was in her (your) room watching tv first, then later you implied she was watching tv in the 'other room' so she wasnt in her (your) bedroom but in another room. I am pointing out the inconsistancy in the story and i wanted to know was she in her (your) bedroom or the 'other room' wen you first checked on her.

'there's a turd in the punch bowl, i repeat, there is a turd in the punch bowl'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users