Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Russia to Unveil New Piloted Spacecraft

roscosmos rkk energia

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,755 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

Russia to Unveil New Piloted Spacecraft at MAKS Airshow

RIA Novosti said:

NOVO-OGARYOVO, June 14 (RIA Novosti) – A mock-up of Russia’s new piloted spacecraft will be showcased in August at the MAKS airshow near Moscow, Russia’s space chief said Friday.

The new craft, being developed by the Russian spaceship manufacturer RKK Energia, is expected to make its maiden flight in 2018.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,012 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:54 PM

No pictures?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,755 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:46 AM

View PostDarkwind, on 17 June 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

No pictures?

If there were pictures then they wouldn't need to unveil it in August.

There have been a few artists impressions on the net, but how close to reality they are is anyone's guess. Even the name they have chosen for it isn't known, as far as I'm aware.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    Colonel Rhubarb

Colonel Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,245 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

Well, this should please NASA.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#5    Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

Always good to hear more developments on space travel.

#6    marcos anthony toledo

marcos anthony toledo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

Can't wait to see the pictures of this new Russian spacecraft. Hope it more imaginative design than NASA Orion Apollo retread.

#7    keithisco

keithisco

Alien Abducter

• 5,174 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

If only the Exploration of Space could be seen as Human Exploration rather than National Exploration then the combined budgets, IMO, could lead to some startling advancements.

I know, I'm whistling in the wind :whistle:

#8    Colonel Rhubarb

Colonel Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,245 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 18 June 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

If only the Exploration of Space could be seen as Human Exploration rather than National Exploration then the combined budgets, IMO, could lead to some startling advancements.

To be quite honest, I think it's been the assumption that the US will automatically lead the way (thanks largely to Gene Rodenberry's flag-waving) that is, certainly, now holding things back, since the current President clearly has no interest in it at all. Perhaps Russia might be able to take over as the flag bearer for Humanity as a whole. (Some are of the opinion, for example, that Buran, which was cancelled when the USSR folded, would have been a better design, and arguably safer, than the Shuttle).

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#9    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 18 June 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

Tell me about it. I'm hooked on Star Trek: TNG right now and a big part of that is the idea that it's the "best case scenario" for humanity. No more need for "things", stopping all wars and coming together for a common purpose. Or as Picard puts it, "growing out of our infancy"

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#10    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,161 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

I bet ITs got a Vodka storage bin on board ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#11    McNessy

McNessy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

Well I'm sure its better than the first Russian crafts.  After reentry they had to jump and parachute before it hit the ocean or ground cant remember which.

#12    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,755 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostMcNessy, on 19 June 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

Well I'm sure its better than the first Russian crafts.  After reentry they had to jump and parachute before it hit the ocean or ground cant remember which.

The didn't jump, the ejected and it was BECAUSE they landed over ground. Why does that make it a poor spacecraft?

Recovery costs were a fraction of that of the US Mercury, Gemini and Apollo spacecraft because you didn't need to launch a fleet of ships to recover the crew and capsule.

What's more no Vostok capsule was lost, unlike Gus Grissom's Liberty Bell 7, which sank and no Vostok cosmonaut was nearly killed in the landing process (Gus Grissom came close to drowning).

Vostok did what it was designed to do and it did it well.

Posted Image
Click on button

#13    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,755 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

View Postmarcos anthony toledo, on 18 June 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

Can't wait to see the pictures of this new Russian spacecraft. Hope it more imaginative design than NASA Orion Apollo retread.
It's not about being imaginative, it is about building what is safe and practical. NASA have gone back to a capsule design because that is the best design for a re-entry vehicle travelling at interplanetary speeds.

Since the new Russian spacecraft is also designed for deep space missions (the Russians want to build a base on the Moon) it too will be a capsule.

Posted Image
Click on button

#14    Whatsinausername

Whatsinausername

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 124 posts

• My God's not dead he's surely alive.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 19 June 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

It's not about being imaginative, it is about building what is safe and practical. NASA have gone back to a capsule design because that is the best design for a re-entry vehicle travelling at interplanetary speeds.

Since the new Russian spacecraft is also designed for deep space missions (the Russians want to build a base on the Moon) it too will be a capsule.

Screw that, I want my Prometheus!

Saying that, you're probably right  :unsure2:

#15    McNessy

McNessy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 19 June 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

The didn't jump, the ejected and it was BECAUSE they landed over ground. Why does that make it a poor spacecraft?

Recovery costs were a fraction of that of the US Mercury, Gemini and Apollo spacecraft because you didn't need to launch a fleet of ships to recover the crew and capsule.

What's more no Vostok capsule was lost, unlike Gus Grissom's Liberty Bell 7, which sank and no Vostok cosmonaut was nearly killed in the landing process (Gus Grissom came close to drowning).

Vostok did what it was designed to do and it did it well.
I quite agree the Russians make some kewl stuff.  Sorry i generalised to give it more drama.

Edited by McNessy, 20 June 2013 - 11:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users