Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Self check out

self help

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    sod_2011

sod_2011

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

Are self-check out machines in supermarkets more trouble than they're worth? Does anyone else see less Humans getting jobs, being replaced by robots. Is it fair that Huge supermarkets who have alot of money running through them are replacing humans with self service machines. Surely it will all come crashing down soon

Edited by sod_2011, 18 June 2013 - 04:58 PM.

King Regards
Shane O' Donnell

#2    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,403 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

I don't like using them too much unless I am in a hurry. It is fine for packaged stuff but when it comes to produce like kale, romaine or such...you either have to sift through the catalog or ask for help. Depending on the time of day you might not find it.

I suppose it can be ok if you just have one or two items but I agree it seems like a way for stores to save money on wages.

#3    BlueBomber

BlueBomber

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

Since you can't purchase alcohol at them without it having to get an associate to come over, I always just go to the regular lines.

A skeptical believer.

#4    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Njuggle

• 9,537 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

I have never even tried a 'DIY' checkout .............. even when staff have been very insistent(because of long queues at manned checkouts)!

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#5    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,621 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

I like to use them when I only have a few things and the staffed lines are busy.

#6    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,515 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

If i have the time, I love using them just to pea off the assistant.
Need a swipe for the booze.
Then need to call them over because i have not "put the item in the bag" quick enough. (hehe)
Then they need to come over again because I move the bag off its weight thing.
Then more booze goes through!

Childish, of course and I love it! There is an assistant there, then let them earn their money!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,150 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

I don't like them and won't use them.  For awhile this one discount store here tried making everyone use them and people just about stopped shopping there, I did.

They take peoples jobs, don't need to be losing more jobs.  Bet if we did use them the prices of merchandise wouldn't go down.

#8    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

In my experience some stores already limit employees (cashiers at registers) and thus the long lines to check out. So we use self-checkout all the time. But ours do limit the number of items allowed at self-checkout.

What about the new pizza delivery drones they are trying out? Our delivery guy the other day must have been close to 70, and I doubt he was delivering pizza for the fun of it.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 18 June 2013 - 05:42 PM.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#9    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,583 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

At my local Walmart they shut down four "20 items or less" human check out lanes and installed self check out lanes instead. Now there are long lines for the self check outs, and long lines at the three or four human check outs.

The result of all this is some humans lost their jobs. I suppose Corporate America think they can earn more profits by deleting more and more jobs and keeping customers in poverty. Short-term thinking.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#10    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

❝ ♔ Beauty

• 8,235 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

My mom and dad has some problems with them. Since I started working at Giant, I've seen some people having problems with them. I prefer a check out line with a clerk. |: It seems faster?

Av by unicorns @ lacedskulls.

#11    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,403 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

You know, not all of those "Self Check-Out" stations are easy to use even if they have big buttons.
If you have to look up a particular item, it can be easy at times if they have it alphabetized but in some places if you buy, say, a few bismarks...it can be a pain trying to find the price for them even if it is supposedly under the "Baked Good" category.

The system needs a bit of tweaking......like I said, they can be nice and convenient at times (especially if you're traveling) but for many being a cashier is the only job they can find.

#12    thewild

thewild

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

• Y HELLO THAR

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

the store I work at is getting them. And, it will help customers steal better because they will put them next to the exits...
There isn't enough cashiers to begin with.

Posted Image

#13    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,105 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

They look too fiddly for my liking. I've never used one.

Posted Image

#14    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,670 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:27 AM

The grocery stores here mostly use them. (Coles and Woolworths). They don't take too much out of the huge register line and probably take the space of two registers but also requiring an assistant so one job (given every register is fully manned which isn't always the case) is not too much of a sacrifice when you look at the benefits of efficiency for customers buying a few items.

The only Coles store I've seen with more self serves than proper registers is the one near the railway station of my city, Melbournes CBD. This is usually because people are usually buying a small amount of items from this store and there are thousands of people that go through the doors each day.

#15    sod_2011

sod_2011

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

View PostPrincess Serenity, on 18 June 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

My mom and dad has some problems with them. Since I started working at Giant, I've seen some people having problems with them. I prefer a check out line with a clerk. |: It seems faster?
I agree sort of for the younger generation. But the overall point being more jobs are being lost and being replaced by robots. I like to speak with humans they pester me to use them i say NO i'd like to speak with a human thank you.

King Regards
Shane O' Donnell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users