Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Low Wages at a Single Wal-Mart Store

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

While up-to-date data on Wal-Mart’s wage and employment practices are not always readily available, new demographic data released by Wisconsin’s Medicaid program provided the needed information to uncover the scope of the taxpayer subsidization of Wal-Mart. The report finds that a single 300-employee Wal-Mart Supercenter in Wisconsin may cost taxpayers anywhere from $904,542 to nearly $1.75 million per year, or about $5,815 per employee. Wisconsin has 100 Wal-Mart stores, 75 that are Wal-Mart Supercenters.
“Wal-Mart is the nation’s largest private-sector employer, yet they pay such low wages that many of its workers are unable to provide their families with the necessities of life. The labor policies of Wal-Mart, and those of companies that emulate its low-road approach, end up leaving  taxpayers holding the bag,” said Rep. George Miller (D-Calif.), senior Democrat on the committee.

http://democrats.edw...y-year-says-new

Edited by jugoso, 18 June 2013 - 05:24 PM.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,580 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

Wow, man. Just wow. Talk about the rich getting richer...

“These International bankers and Rockefeller-Standard Oil interests control the majority of newspapers and the columns of these newspapers to club into submission or drive out of public office officials who refuse to do the bidding of the powerful corrupt cliques which compose the invisible government.”

- Roosevelt

#3    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,119 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

I would think there is more Corporate subsidization than food stamps, SS and all the rest the citizens collect from the government.

n 1990 the federal government spent 4.7 billion dollars on all forms of international aid. Pollution control programs received 4.8 billion dollars of federal assistance while both secondary and elementary education were allotted only 8.4 billion dollars. More to the point, while more than 170 billion dollars is expended on assorted varieties of corporate welfare the federal government spends 11 billion dollars on Aid for Dependent Children. The most expensive means tested welfare program, Medicaid, costs the federal government 30 billion dollars a year or about half of the amount corporations receive each year through assorted tax breaks. S.S.I., the federal program for the disabled, receives 13 billion dollars while American businesses are given 17 billion in direct federal aid
http://en.wikipedia....rporate_welfare

Added up, 62.4 billion dollars goes to citizens, while 170 billion dollars goes to corporate welfare according to this quote.

Edited by StarMountainKid, 18 June 2013 - 05:54 PM.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,625 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

And all are surprised because of...?

If people don't make enough working to make a living they will live at the expense of the community.

But this fits in perfectly with what we lately call "capitalism": privatize the gains and socialize the losses.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 1,708 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

View Postjugoso, on 18 June 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

So how much would it cost the taxpayers if they were all unemployed? I'm thinking more than it is costing now.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#6    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

Even small independent businesses pay minimum or close to minimum wage for cashiers. How much are you supposed to pay people that don't even know how to count if the cash register doesn't tell them the amount of change owed?

#7    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,601 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

View PostBama13, on 18 June 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

So how much would it cost the taxpayers if they were all unemployed? I'm thinking more than it is costing now.

Why would Wal-Mart have to close down without passing on so much responsibilities in tax subsidies to the people? Their net profit in 2011 was 18,000,000,000 $$

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#8    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 1,708 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

View Postjugoso, on 18 June 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

Why would Wal-Mart have to close down without passing on so much responsibilities in tax subsidies to the people? Their net profit in 2011 was 18,000,000,000 $$

Sorry, I didn't ask you if Wal-Mart was closing, I asked how much would it cost the taxpayers if those people were unemployed? Hint: It would cost more. Therefore Wal-Mart is really saving the taxpayers money. Then there are the taxes Wal-Mart pays. Seems Wal-Mart is a win-win for the taxpayers.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#9    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 1,708 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

View PostMichelle, on 18 June 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

Even small independent businesses pay minimum or close to minimum wage for cashiers. How much are you supposed to pay people that don't even know how to count if the cash register doesn't tell them the amount of change owed?

Not just small independent business. Fast food restauramts pay minimum wage. Convience stores pay minimum wage. Why aren't people up in arms about them? Why single out Wal-Mart?

#10    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

View PostBama13, on 18 June 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

Not just small independent business. Fast food restauramts pay minimum wage. Convience stores pay minimum wage. Why aren't people up in arms about them? Why single out Wal-Mart?

I mentioned them because people are always going on about Walmart causing the demise of the mom and pop stores. Sorry, but it was the public who stopped shopping at the mom and pop stores that caused them to close.

#11    thewild

thewild

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

• Y HELLO THAR

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

I only have three more days of employment with them. So, I will give you some facts about how they pay.
90 day eval, they tell you how you are doing, what you can improve on, or even if they want you in the roster anymore. Yearly eval they tell you how you are functioning. This is either Needs improvement, Solid performer or Role model for other associates. You do get a raise annual of either .40, .50, or 60 cents an hour more. If your manager writes you a crap review you get nothing. Almost everyone I know gets a 40 cent raise per year. Leaving associate level to dept management or supervisor used to net you a 1.10 more an hour. Last year they cut it to a 40 cent raise. The store manager nets 60K a year and I never see the man. Unless he's texting the honeys or worrying about the regional management showing up. SO yeah, I give up.
Plus most of my friends are on govt. assistance because they are single moms or divorcees or elderly trying to keep afloat. And the store makes an average of about $250,000 A DAY.

Posted Image

#12    thewild

thewild

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

• Y HELLO THAR

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostMichelle, on 18 June 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

That's kind of demeaning to say. Most of us are intelligent there is not much else to choose from around here except health care or fast food.

Posted Image

#13    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,625 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

View PostBama13, on 18 June 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

maybe 'cause Wal-Mart is making $26.2 billions a year  and with a sales increase of 1.9% is getting a ROA of 8.9%. Where do you think the extra cash comes from?

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#14    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 1,708 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 18 June 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

maybe 'cause Wal-Mart is making $26.2 billions a year  and with a sales increase of 1.9% is getting a ROA of 8.9%. Where do you think the extra cash comes from?

Ah, the whole "hate them because they are successful" thingy. Got it. Won't do it. I refuse to hate something/someone just because they are successful. I'm certain all for-profit business are in business to make a profit. I won't hold them making a profit against them.

#15    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,625 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

View PostBama13, on 18 June 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

Ah, the whole "hate them because they are successful" thingy. Got it. Won't do it. I refuse to hate something/someone just because they are successful. I'm certain all for-profit business are in business to make a profit. I won't hold them making a profit against them.

There is no hate thing, there is just the fact that they are getting rich with the tax money you refuse to pay while cheering and applauding that you have to feed those they underpay.

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users