Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Cosmic Giants Shed New Light on Dark Matter

dark matter galaxy clusters cold dark matter theory cdm subaru telescope

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostRingFenceTheCity, on 20 June 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

When you think about it, why should ferrous metals only be acted on by the magnetic force? Is it so bizarre to think that fluid dark matter acts only on liquids and not solids? I'm also assuming that fluid dark matter acts on other fluid dark matter with a much greater force of attraction.
I have no idea what you are saying here, and that is telling, because research in solid state and condensed matter physics is the job I get paid to do.

Ferrous metals are (somewhat) unique because they can spontaneously polarize and display a permanent magnetic moment.

But of course all materials interact with magnetic fields.

It is bizarre to think that ``fluid dark matter'' acts only on liquids, because:
  • Dark matter interacts via gravity, that is the entire point of dark matter. In regular matter, the gravitational interaction is dictated only by that matter's density.
  • The phase (gas, liquid, solid) of regular matter is dictated only by the electromagnetic interactions between the atoms that constitute that matter. Dark matter can't interact electromagnetically, otherwise it wouldn't be dark.
This doesn't mean that dark matter itself can form its own different phases via some as-yet-unknown force (although I highly doubt it); but it does mean that the only way dark matter can couple to regular matter is through their respective densities.

View PostRingFenceTheCity, on 20 June 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

As to the 1800 yr lunar tidal cycle in the glacial data, I think you've missed an opportunity to make a name for yourself. It's going to be assesed by a climate professor in the next week or so. Here's Prof. Dr. Heinz Wanner's response email:
I'm not holding my breath.

#17    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

View Postsepulchrave, on 20 June 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

It is bizarre to think that ``fluid dark matter'' acts only on liquids, because:
  • Dark matter interacts via gravity, that is the entire point of dark matter.
This point troubled me the most. During my Astronomy  (with Computing) degree my lecturer would always state that it was the "missing energy" problem and not the "missing mass" problem. I think your mistake is to assume that "dark matter" is something we can only understand by use of Newton's concept of 'mass', defined by his assumed equation of universal gravitation. We will be at logger-heads from this point forward, but thank you for the dialogue and the time you've spent in answering my questions.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users