Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

US reveals Guantanamo 'indefinite detainees'

guantanamo bay military prison detainees

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,632 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

The US has listed 46 inmates held at its military prison in Guantanamo Bay who it says it does not have the evidence to try but are too dangerous to release.

It revealed the men's names in response to a freedom of information request by the Miami Herald.

Most are from Yemen and Afghanistan.

President Barack Obama vowed last month to renew efforts to shut the prison. Lawyer Clifford Sloan has been appointed to oversee the closure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-22949561

Posted Image

#2    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 19 June 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

The US has listed 46 inmates held at its military prison in Guantanamo Bay who it says it does not have the evidence to try but are too dangerous to release.

It revealed the men's names in response to a freedom of information request by the Miami Herald.

Most are from Yemen and Afghanistan.

President Barack Obama vowed last month to renew efforts to shut the prison. Lawyer Clifford Sloan has been appointed to oversee the closure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-22949561

I wouldn't hold my breath.....

Posted Image

#3    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,316 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

This is yet another example of how and why the US is the world's Master Prison Keeper.  How and why the rule of law is not practiced.  It is shameful.

#4    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,703 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

What I find incredible is that every single time this is brought to the Floor, the Republicans shoot it down, then say "Obama has not kept his promise to close Gitmo"

Disingenuous in extremis.

#5    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,700 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

I've hear that some U.S. officials are considering the idea of  putting some of the gitmo   prisoners into witness protection !!!!$!    (i would think some might rather go HOME!?)

Many have been cleared for release for years,, but i think they are afraid to let them go home with the tales of their senseless imprisonment.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#6    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 20 June 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

What I find incredible is that every single time this is brought to the Floor, the Republicans shoot it down, then say "Obama has not kept his promise to close Gitmo"

Why does that not surprise me?
:no:

#7    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,607 posts
  • Location:Currently entering that inner landscape connecting those throughout life

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

A 5 for 1 trade deal is on the table now according to the Taliban.

#8    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

• -Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes... After that, who cares. Your a mile away and you have his shoes. -

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

I am from Australia, and i plan to travel to America, and love meeting them here in Sydney, but this seriously shamefull this has been going on for so long. It is the same type of injustice found in the countries you are fighting. If there is legitimate evidence against them inprison them humanly, if not, well it's quite simple isn't it.

~Today's mighty Oak is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground~

#9    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,607 posts
  • Location:Currently entering that inner landscape connecting those throughout life

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:21 AM

I know, right? The daily forced feedings of Ensure® are pretty horrid. Would hate to be the one in charge of administering that. Or worse, going through it.

#10    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,700 posts

Yogi Berra

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:33 AM

'they'  say  there is not enough evidence to try some of these guys..  and yet,  somehow  'they' make a determination that many of the 'detainness' are too dangerous to set free?
That makes about as much sense as the entire 'Gitmo' operation has  from the start.    I'm astounded at the suggestion of putting some into  Witness Protection !?*?
    They are too dangerous to set free.. so,  let's set them up in a nice suburb somewhere?    .. Good morning Mr. Appleseed .

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#11    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,358 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:24 AM

Bizarre.  I hadn't heard about the witness protection.  Perhaps the prisoners feel they might be killed because they are suspected of collusion?  Anyway, If these people were scooped up on the battlefield, under arms, then try them and let them linger in a legitimate jail.  If no evidence exists then "tag" and release.  If they are encountered again, under arms, execute them summarily.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#12    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,074 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

View Postkeithisco, on 20 June 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

He had two years of democrats controlling the government.  What is the excuse for not closing it then.

As soon as he declares the war is over they will have release everyone.  That is international law.  Pow's have to be sent home.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#13    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,316 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

View Postand then, on 21 June 2013 - 02:24 AM, said:

Bizarre.  I hadn't heard about the witness protection.  Perhaps the prisoners feel they might be killed because they are suspected of collusion?  Anyway, If these people were scooped up on the battlefield, under arms, then try them and let them linger in a legitimate jail.  If no evidence exists then "tag" and release.  If they are encountered again, under arms, execute them summarily.

Judging from your post, it is likely that you are unaware that many of those held at Gitmo are there ONLY because somebody turned them in for ransom, nothing more.  As the government openly admits (and it flies right over the head of so many) it cannot prove they've committed any crime at all.

Early in the GWOT the US was paying ransoms for virtually anybody, and the mercenary types turned over to the americans many for money.  Another shameful chapter in the War On Terror. :td:

#14    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,245 posts

• ראה

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

The "War on Terror" is a label that means nothing. It's an excuse for doing whatever the U.S. government wants, to whomever it wants, as we've seen with the growing NSA scandal.

Never in the history of the world has such a broad label been used to declare war, with the possible exception of the Nazi's.

I'm beginning to understand why these people in the Middle East hate U.S. so much. WE don't mind our own business. WE've got our noses up everyone's rear end, on earth, and they've had enough of U.S.

I don't blame these people for hating U.S. This government has no respect for anyone or anything, including it's own citizens.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#15    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,700 posts

Yogi Berra

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:24 AM

@ and then, the witness protection thing was just something i've heard actually has been discussed..  i don't  think it's happened .. but who knows.

...  Even if some of these guys were armed , and captured,   that would make them prisoners,  Not criminals? So  , try them for what?   Fighting an invading army?  
What is normally done with prisoners captured in a war ? I know, it varies from execution to eventual release,  but what makes it a legal matter   this time  anyway??

Some of these guys were just scooped up here and there.   Sometimes Soldiers got an address,  kicked in a door, and threw somebody in a truck.   Out of the 800 or so 'apprehended, how many have been found 'guilty' of anything?   I think some were simply captured for whatever 'intelligence'  could be gathered from them?

Plus it was a crowd pleaser at the time....  * and  this  *NEW*  kind of war was , and is,  good for setting all sorts of new precedents !!    .. speaking of legalities !

Edited by lightly, 22 June 2013 - 12:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users